tModLoader Spelunker Surge!

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
Hello all! Yuyutsu here, with a new mod I've been working on for a day, or so. Let's get right into it, and I hope you enjoy :)

Spelunker Surge!

Spelunker Surge is a mod that aims to make your underground experience a fun time! Ever felt that trudging through the same caverns or mushroom biomes gets repetitive and boring? Well, this mod is for you! Spelunker Surge will try to add little things here and there throughout the game to make your mining experience more interesting. Now, what does this mod currently add?

Content:
- A new minibiome, the Fossil Caverns! While exploring, you may come across a new structure, filled with bones, ancient enemies, and new loot!
- A new gem, Moonstone! Moonstone adds to the variety of gems, allowing you to craft multiple new weapons!
- Otherworldly Beacons! Rare structures that spawn randomly underground. These cosmic beacons can do anything, from granting you ore to releasing multiple bombs! Watch out!
- New fishing catches for the Marble, Granite, Fossil, and Mushroom biomes!
- New music and effects for the Marble, Granite, and Fossil biomes!

- 27 Items
- 2 Tiles
- 2 Enemies

I'll be updating this mod when I can. school has been real busy this year, but I hope to get a lot of work done in the weekends! That being said, I would love to hear your ideas as to what could be added to make spelunking more fun.

Yes, you will need a new world to experience this mod's content!

Download:
V 0.2

- On the Mod Browser as well
Additions:
- Added new music for the Marble, Granite, and Fossil Caverns! Huge thanks to discord user IcerM for the music :)
- Added new water styles for Marble and Granite Biomes
- Marble and Granite crates have two new, fishing exclusive items that may be obtained
- Added another Fossil Chest item and reduced the amount of Fossil Chests that spawn in a biome
- Added Marble, Granite, and Fossil Crates (1 in 18)
- Added hardmode fishing weapons for Mushroom, Marble, Granite, and Fossil Biomes (1 in 200)

Fixes:
- Made Moonstone mineable by anything
- Switched Moonstone Wand and Staff recipes
New Piskel (7).png

Moonstone- A new gem that is found in the cavern level of the inner 1/3 of your world. Glows faintly.
Moonstone Bauble- Crafted with Moonstone at an anvil. Increases minion damage and knockback slightly.
Moonstone Wand- Crafted with Moonstone at an anvil. A homing magic staff.
Moonstone Torch- Crafted with Moonstone and Torches.
Moonstone Staff- Crafted with Moonstone and Meteorite Bars at an anvil. A minion staff that shoots out beams from the cursor position.
Moonstone Hook- Crafted with Moonstone at an anvil.
Moonstone Phaseblade- Crafted with Moonstone at an anvil.
Moonstone Phasesaber- Crafted with a Moonstone Phaseblade and Crystal Shards at a Hardmode Anvil.

MartianAltar.png
MartianEye.png
MartianSword.png

Otherworldly Beacons- Found randomly throughout the cavern layer and below in your world. Breaking it does multiple different things based on where you are in game.
Pre Hardmode:
- May drop multiple bombs that explode shortly
- May drop different ores
- May drop silver
- May drop a Extraterrestrial Eye- an accessory that increases critical strike chance and jump height
Hardmode:
- May release a pulse of Pure Solution, which turns nearby land into Purity
- May drop different hardmode ores or Martian Conduit Plating
- May spawn a Martian Engineer! Watch out!
- May drop a Cosmic Conduit- A sword that shoots out lasers that home in on the player!

ice_screenshot_20171001-181816.png

New Piskel (8).png

Fossil Caverns! Small bone caverns that may spawn throughout your cavern level. They are noted by the wide abundance of Bone Blucks and Skull Piles! Fossil Chests are found here, as well as preserved enemies.
Fossil Chest- Contains random loot and one of three rare items! Up to 4 may spawn in a Bone Cavern.
Fossil Bow- Converts arrows into powerful Bone Arrows
Fossil Lance- A powerful spear.
Bottled Tar- Increases life regeneration, but reduces movement speed.

Bone Bat- A powerful bat!
Tarbone Slime- An amalgamation of bone and tar.
ice_screenshot_20170930-220737.png
ice_screenshot_20170930-220702.png
ice_screenshot_20171001-172809.png

Credits:
- @Graydee for some help with code
- @Godslayer for some great sprites!

As I said before, I'm having fun expanding the underground section of Terraria, as I love exploring and finding a multitude of new things. If you couldn't tell, a lot of content is inspired by Starbound, which constantly offers multiple new options while exploring! I aim to add more of that into Terraria. Once again, if you have ideas, I'd love to hear em! Thanks for your time, and have a great day :)

Last edited:
More impressive than people saying PICKEL RICK in the middle of a busy street, great job!

Fossil caves look really great, but maybe move the Martian thing to post plantera, since Martian conduit plating is used for weapons in some mods, and they normally do >100 damage.

Idk but i prefer if you want to add biomes, just add them. Without adding new ore thingy, so many mods already do this and i feel they are redundant.

Just my thoughts, it's great

Idk but i prefer if you want to add biomes, just add them. Without adding new ore thingy, so many mods already do this and i feel they are redundant.

I think the intent is to improve the underground in general, not just add biomes, so adding a new gem (that looks pretty cool) is part of that, I guess

anyways, here are some suggestions:

Make moonstone place a gem tile, instead of the actual ore, like vanilla.

Maybe swap the the moonstone summon and magic weapons damage, it makes more sense as the magic gem staves always use a bar.

Some sort of NPC that doesn't move in, this would be pretty neat as the skeleton merchant is a nice find and you don't see much of him, the potential for a loot table here is endless.

Last edited:

I will be adding some ores in the future, but I'll try to make them an interesting experience-like hellstone- to mine. Hopefully this makes the underworld(where I plan to incorporate a hardmode ore into) more interesting :)
I think the intent is to improve the underground in general, not just add biomes, so adding a new gem (that looks pretty cool) is part of that, I guess

anyways, here are some suggestions:

Make moonstone place a gem tile, instead of the actual ore, like vanilla.

Maybe swap the the moonstone summon and magic weapons damage, it makes more sense as the magic gem staves always use a bar.

Some sort of NPC that doesn't move in, this would be pretty neat as the skeleton merchant is a nice find and you don't see much of him, the potential for a loot table here is endless.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to make a moonstone gem tile once I figure out how, and I'll also swap the recipes of the two stages in the next patch :)
The link on the mod browser leads to your spirit mod thread instead of this one. Will this biome have its own background music?
Oops, my bad! I was thinking the fossil caves would be like Marble and Granite caves, with no music of their own, but this can be changed if people like.

Oops, my bad! I was thinking the fossil caves would be like Marble and Granite caves, with no music of their own, but this can be changed if people like.

You could add music/water to the granite and marble and maybe spider caves too, if you are improving the underground? I think Graydee suggested this a while ago

Back
Top Bottom