Sprites Spinolan

Kerbulon

Terrarian
Summon: Spinolan, Crimson Mask. Spawns as an enemy with only 75 hp but only takes one damage/two damage (basically very high defense)
219702-048596a0ce23e7857e662a8c551de1ea.jpg

Spinolan (Pronounced Spin-oh-lin, but I say it as Spine-oh-lin.)
219691-c6a8147ce272b4d2638419db2c42aedc.jpg

Spinolan is a Crimson themed boss, and is Pre-Wof.
Health: 8,500 (12,300 Expert)
Damage: 55 (Contact Damage)
Defense: 40.

Spinolan's attacks are blood, flesh, and bone related, which is the theme of the crimson.
Spinolan has a list of attacks (Which the first four and last four are split into phases respectively, but I actually want them switched, first four to last four, last four to first four.):
----------
1: Bloodshot Blast: a spew of 5 blood streams shot at the player like a shotgun.
---
2: Deca-Burst: Fires 10 blood shots in all directions.
---
3: Fractal Fracture: Spinolan spawns a large bone that moves slowly at first, then the bone splits into 2 smaller bones that go twice as fast, this happens 2 more times until the attack ends.
---
4: Blood Beam: Fires a large, wide short beam that does heavy damage but moves slowly.

----------

5: Bloodrise: Spinolan flies under the player and shoots 8 projectiles that rise into the air.
---
6: Cadadash: Spinolan dashes toward the player, then teleports somewhere around the player.
---
7: Wallsplatter: Spinolan swiftly moves down on either the right or left of the player (half distance between screen width and player) and horizontally shoots 6 bloodshots. There is 2 gaps that the player can go through.
---
8: Fleshbomb: Throws a gravity-influenced projectile that explodes into 6 blood projectiles upon hitting a tile or player.

Main Idle AI : Either moves toward the player (1st phase), or stays above the player (2nd phase)
--------
Spinolan has a mirage effect at 25% Hp, which makes the real Spinolan harder to figure out when Spinolan's health goes down.

Mini-Boss Servants
Mini-boss servants are servants spawned by Spinolan. They have moderate hp while having low-ish defense and contact damage, are spawned separately, and only one can be alive at once.

Focal Blaster
219705-4d0bbc78c1cd543581795d617dada17a.jpg

Focal Blaster is a sentry-like miniboss that shoots a burst of 4 lasers at the player. That is all it does.
Gurgalock
219707-95ea7f0470f530bb6784dfc67d944ca3.jpg

Gurgalock is a worm spawned by Spinolan. Like a normal worm, it digs toward the player, and shoots blood particles from it's segments, only not as fast as you would think.
It has the ability to shoot a glob of ichor from it's head, although when it is inflicted on the player, it only lasts for a half second.
It also can do a fast dash towards the player (Though only one dash).

Sinewcrux (Thank you Leinfors for the name idea)
223956-18e8f8d58af48cfefb70bff9039861c3.jpg
(The Sprite looks a bit dark, so It should emit it's own light.)
219751-18e8f8d58af48cfefb70bff9039861c3.jpg

Sinewcrux is a mini-boss spawned by Spinolan. It is based around the Ranger class, and shoots blood globs at the player in a few ways:
Shotgun: Shoots a slow cluster of blood globs at the player. It takes 2.5 seconds for each of this attack to happen again.
Pistol: Shoots a glob that has moderate/fast fire rate.
Machine Gun: Rapidly shoots globs that are faster than the shotgun globs but slower than the sniper globs. These globs have the lowest damage.
Sniper: Shoots a fast moving glob that does slightly heavier damage than the pistol glob.

Cerebron
220078-bf4eeae108d213cfbe1a226c4700408b.jpg

Cerebron is a brain-like miniboss that teleports and shoots teeth.
Teethshot: shoots a spread of gray teeth (around 4-5)
Teleport: Dashes toward the player and teleports
Eyeswarm: spawns a bunch of tiny eyes (Around 10-15)

Other Notes:
----------
Cerebron is a brain just like the Brain of Cthulhu.
As I said earlier in this post, Leinfors helped me with making the name for Sinewcrux, as I could not think of anything.
Someone once said that the Focal Blast eye was a creeper resprite lol

Attachments

• Spinolan (7).gif
    Spinolan (7).gif
    8 KB · Views: 92
  • Crimson Mask (2) (2).png
    Crimson Mask (2) (2).png
    762 bytes · Views: 74
  • Focal Blaster.gif
    Focal Blaster.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 93
  • GFB (1) (2).png
    GFB (1) (2).png
    1.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Cerebron (2) (2) (1).gif
    Cerebron (2) (2) (1).gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Goromon (6).png
    Goromon (6).png
    2.9 KB · Views: 73
  • New Piskel (88).png
    New Piskel (88).png
    903 bytes · Views: 65
Last edited:
-snippa snap-
Christ Almighty, I'd hate to even think of fighting something this strong Pre-WoF, at least you recognized stats might say otherwise.

This would be an extremely cool boss to have perhaps a new milestone in Terraria: Post-1 Mech :D...doesn't sound good when I say it there does it...whatever.
Also side-note, I think your art is way too good for Terraria (by that I also mean the shading doesn't match) but the Corrupt Beacon fits perfect :D

Sorry for imposing my ideas especially since you aren't done with the post, but this is my take on it:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After killing one Mech boss:
"A flower grows beneath the Corruption"
"The ground underneath the Crimson convulses"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Corruption:
Perhaps not something as huge as the beautiful sprite you made there, maybe make the sprite a 2-high/3-wide tile sprite that is a bundle of these "Corrupted Helianthus". They would have 50 hit points but only take 1 damage from every attack (possibly through high defense) to prevent accidental destruction of them.
After breaking the flowers, it would summon the boss that I'm sure you're going to post whenever you get on that :D
For Crimson:
I don't seem to see anything for the summon for the Crimson Boss besides the summoning item "Crimson Mask" (correct me if I'm wrong there)...
I'm also assuming you got the name for Spinolan from the word "Spine" (I know I'm a genius) but perhaps we could use that mask idea to make the boss a face?
:indifferent:<- The boss could simply be a giant floating mask with this expression, the eyes looking similar to the Focal Blasters thus matching the "bloodshot" thing you're going for.
It could also have phases, the first phase being the floating mask with some of those abilities, and maybe the 2nd phase the mask drops off and exposes a hideous face with a spine still tailing under it dripping with blood. (wow this is sounding really dark)

Anyways, the summon requirement for this might be an alternate to the Corruption idea I had, a entity with 50 hit points and only takes 1 damage from every attack that exists to simply summon the boss when defeated.
The summons for these could also just both be some item from Pre-Hardmode combined with Hardmode items.

Any of these items could serve as part of the recipe:
Corrupted Helianthus - Cursed Flame, Soul of Night, Sunflower/Dayblooms?, Worm Teeth, Suspicious Looking Eye, Rotten Chunk

Crimson Mask - Ichor, Soul of Night, Vertebrae, ...Mime Mask? xD, Bloody Spine

P.S. Your cute sweater Patrick profile pic makes me :dryadpassionate:

Criticism time:
First off, the sprites. Spinolan's minions look bigger and more threatening than the boss itself; if you'd shown me the sprites for Spinolan and his minions out of context i'd assume it was just a bunch of Crimson enemies rather than a boss and its servants. Meanwhile the Corrupt Helianthus just doesn't look interesting enough to be a boss fight, it looks like one weird Corruption enemy you'd find Underground.

As for the fights themselves, don't try to give the bosses as many attacks as they have. Spinolan for example, has 10 different attacks, and that's without counting everything his servants can do. For comparison, the most bullet hellish enemy in the game is Moon Lord, and he only has 4 attacks, and then his released eyes just use weaker versions of those. Even Calamity bosses don't have patterns this complicated.

And finally, pre Mech bosses just don't work. These two have the stats of an Expert Ice Golem, any good HM weapon would kill them in less than 30 seconds. And even if you give them more health to rival the mechs, then they are simply a parallel to those, and you will probably want to fight the Mechs as they are required for progression. So the only way to make a Pre Mech boss worth fighting would be to make the Mechs stronger, so that the drops from these two would be worth using against them. And that's another bad idea because now a lot of the Early HM weapons just get outclassed immediately.

Criticism time:
First off, the sprites. Spinolan's minions look bigger and more threatening than the boss itself; if you'd shown me the sprites for Spinolan and his minions out of context i'd assume it was just a bunch of Crimson enemies rather than a boss and its servants. Meanwhile the Corrupt Helianthus just doesn't look interesting enough to be a boss fight, it looks like one weird Corruption enemy you'd find Underground.

As for the fights themselves, don't try to give the bosses as many attacks as they have. Spinolan for example, has 10 different attacks, and that's without counting everything his servants can do. For comparison, the most bullet hellish enemy in the game is Moon Lord, and he only has 4 attacks, and then his released eyes just use weaker versions of those. Even Calamity bosses don't have patterns this complicated.

And finally, pre Mech bosses just don't work. These two have the stats of an Expert Ice Golem, any good HM weapon would kill them in less than 30 seconds. And even if you give them more health to rival the mechs, then they are simply a parallel to those, and you will probably want to fight the Mechs as they are required for progression. So the only way to make a Pre Mech boss worth fighting would be to make the Mechs stronger, so that the drops from these two would be worth using against them. And that's another bad idea because now a lot of the Early HM weapons just get outclassed immediately.
Hmm, Ok. how can I fix this? And yes, maybe I should get rid of some attacks, as some of them feel too close to another boss' attacks. (Like Curveshot, which is basically like skeletron's homing skulls.)
Edit: Well, they were originally pre-wof.

Back
Top Bottom