tModLoader Split Screen Mod

Add multiple mice + keyboards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ilyaki

Terrarian
If you cannot get the mod to work, try Universal Split Screen: it works with many games, including Terraria: Universal Split Screen

UPDATE 2.0.0: Multiple keyboard/mice support. See the parts in green for the added instructions. Please note that 2.0.0 only works on Windows - Mac/Linux users must use 1.0.1

• The method I used in this version is very low-level and may(unlikely) cause your anti-virus to think it is a keylogger, which will probably kill Terraria the moment Split Screen loads. If this happens, you could add an exception for Terraria/tModLoader/SplitScreen or you could install version 1.0.1 if you do not want to use multiple keyboards/mice

Play with up to unlimited players in split-screen with multiple gamepads and/or multiple keyboards/mice.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Installation
  1. Install tModLoader : tModLoader/tModLoader
  2. Download Split Screen from the Mod Browser(recommended) or directly here: javid.ddns.net/tModLoader/download.php?Down=mods/SplitScreen.tmod
    • If you download the SplitScreen.tmod directly, go to Terraria main menu -> Mods -> Open Mods Folder and place the .tmod file there
  3. (Optional) Install x360ce: Ilyaki/TerrariaSplitScreen
  4. (Optional) Setup a fake higher resolution: Ilyaki/TerrariaSplitScreen

How to play
  1. Go to your Terraria installation folder, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria and launch Terraria.exe as many times as you need
  2. Resize your windows however you like*. Press F6 to toggle the window borders
  3. On one window, go to Multiplayer -> Host & Play -> Select a character -> Select a world
  4. On the other windows, go to Multiplayer -> Join via IP -> Select a character -> Enter localhost as the IP and 7777 as the port
  5. On each window, click Next as many times as you need to change its gamepad. (If one player wants to use a keyboard+mouse, select NONE). Then click OK
    1. If you want to use a keyboard+mouse instead of a gamepad, select NONE as the gamepad index and click OK. I would recommend setting up the gamepad windows first, then the keyboards+mice
    2. Next, hold any three keys on your desired keyboard
    3. On the Lock mouse? menu, select Yes if this is the LAST window you are setting up. Otherwise select No
    4. Click the attach mouse button with your desired mouse
  6. Done. Remember to Save & Exit when you want to quit, not press Alt+F4. The window that hosted the game should quit last.

Tips

(A lot of the code for this mod was based off of my Stardew Valley split screen mod: Split Screen)
Leave any feedback or bug reports below :)

Last edited:
While I have no use for it, this seems like a very interesting mod. Can't wait to see what comes of it

that looks like a nice mod. Something which Terraria misses at PC. Multiple mice + keyboards would be nice. You already did this? Did some research many years ago. Could not find any way doing that. Also don't know any current game which supports two mice or two keyboards (only different buttons at keyboard or different gamepads working). The last game I remember which supported that was The Settlers II from 1996.

Last edited:
I downloaded this mod and the tmod loader crashes as it’s initializing the mod, is there anyway to fix this?

that looks like a nice mod. Something which Terraria misses at PC. Multiple mice + keyboards would be nice. You already did this? Did some research many years ago. Could not find any way doing that. Also don't know any current game which supports two mice or two keyboards (only different buttons at keyboard or different gamepads working). The last game I remember which supported that was The Settlers II from 1996.
I used two libraries that allow you to read raw input, and differentiate between mice/keyboards. To stop the mouse cursor moving and clicking on windows, I used AutoHotKey.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/17123/Using-Raw-Input-from-C-to-handle-multiple-keyboard
http://jstookey.com/arcade/rawmouse/
[doublepost=1529209711,1529209627][/doublepost]
I downloaded this mod and the tmod loader crashes as it’s initializing the mod, is there anyway to fix this?
Can you try with all other mods disabled?
Also, what specs are you using: e.g. operating system, 32bit/64bit?

Thanks for those links. After some quick look (detailed later) those where made for windows XP. There might be some problems with win10, mac, linux or newer version. Also you need to care about Licenses.

Thanks for those links. After some quick look (detailed later) those where made for windows XP. There might be some problems with win10, mac, linux or newer version. Also you need to care about Licenses.
Works fine on windows 10 from all my testing. It uses specific windows libraries so it will definitely not work on linux/mac.

I used two libraries that allow you to read raw input, and differentiate between mice/keyboards. To stop the mouse cursor moving and clicking on windows, I used AutoHotKey.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/17123/Using-Raw-Input-from-C-to-handle-multiple-keyboard
http://jstookey.com/arcade/rawmouse/
[doublepost=1529209711,1529209627][/doublepost]
Can you try with all other mods disabled?
Also, what specs are you using: e.g. operating system, 32bit/64bit?

I tried with all other mods disabled And the same error still occurred as for specs;

Windows 7 OS
Intel core i7 4790k
Radeon r9 280x
64 bit

Thanks for this mod, i always wanted to play this game with my little brother with splitscreen, i really appreciate your work!!

But i'm getting this error when i open terraria.exe
terraria_error.jpg

I have no other mod installed, this is a fresh install and i followed your install instructions.

And i can't click anything on the screen either like the log thing, so i posted the screenshot

Thanks for this mod, i always wanted to play this game with my little brother with splitscreen, i really appreciate your work!!

View attachment 202989

I have no other mod installed, this is a fresh install and i followed your install instructions.

And i can't click anything on the screen either like the log thing, so i posted the screenshot

I’m getting the same thing

The game has crashed!

The type initializer for “SplitScreen.PlayerIndexController” threw an exception.

at SplitScreen.PlayerIndexController.get_Index()

at SplitScreen.GamePad_GetState_Patcher.Postfix(GamePadState g, PlayerIndex playerIndex, GamePadState __result) in C:\Users\Ylias\Documents\My Games\Terraria/ModLoader\Mod Sources\SplitScreen\Patchers\GamePad_GetState_Patcher.cs:line 15

at GetState_Patch1(PlayerIndex playerIndex, GamePadDeadZone deadZoneMode)

at Terraria.GameInput.PlayerInput.GamePadInput()

at Terraria.GameInput.PlayerInput.UpdateInput()

at Terraria.Main.DoUpdate_HandleInput()

at DoUpdate_Patch1(Object gameTime, GameTime )

at Terraria.Main.Update(GameTime gameTime)
[doublepost=1529458687,1529458654][/doublepost]
Can you copy-paste the error log when it crashes here?

Here it is

The game has crashed!

The type initializer for “SplitScreen.PlayerIndexController” threw an exception.

at SplitScreen.GamePad_GetState_Patcher.Postfix(GamePadState g, PlayerIndex playerIndex, GamePadState __result) in C:\Users\Ylias\Documents\My Games\Terraria/ModLoader\Mod Sources\SplitScreen\Patchers\GamePad_GetState_Patcher.cs:line 15

View attachment 202989

I’m getting the same thing

The game has crashed!

[doublepost=1529458687,1529458654][/doublepost]

Here it is

The game has crashed!

Can you try updating your .NET Framework version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55170

Hi, it's been 3 days that I'm using your mod I really enjoy playing split screen but ive found a real issue, the screen that uses the controller lags really a lot making it so frustrating, my pc has good specs I think the real issue is that windows detects only 1 terraria as an active window if you know what I mean, and so the other one gets a decresed performance, do you know any possible fix for this?

Hi, it's been 3 days that I'm using your mod I really enjoy playing split screen but ive found a real issue, the screen that uses the controller lags really a lot making it so frustrating, my pc has good specs I think the real issue is that windows detects only 1 terraria as an active window if you know what I mean, and so the other one gets a decresed performance, do you know any possible fix for this?

In the settings menu for each terraria instance, make sure multithreaded lighting is set to the maximum it can be.

In Task Manager(Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open) -> Details, you can set the priority for each Terraria instance to High.

Also, in Task Manager -> Performance -> CPU -> Right click the graph -> Change graph to -> Logical processors.
You should have all graphs at 100%, or your CPU is wasting potential. If they are not at 100%, go back to Details and click Set Affinity for each Terraria process. Try disabling cores that are 100% for some processes, until the CPU graphs are all maxed at 100%

In the settings menu for each terraria instance, make sure multithreaded lighting is set to the maximum it can be.

In Task Manager(Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open) -> Details, you can set the priority for each Terraria instance to High.

Also, in Task Manager -> Performance -> CPU -> Right click the graph -> Change graph to -> Logical processors.
You should have all graphs at 100%, or your CPU is wasting potential. If they are not at 100%, go back to Details and click Set Affinity for each Terraria process. Try disabling cores that are 100% for some processes, until the CPU graphs are all maxed at 100%
Thanks you saved my terraria experience, I did everything and now I can play it normally!

Hey, so I've been trying to use your mod, but when I start a game, the menu doesn't show up at all, even with all other mods disabled

Back
Top Bottom