• PC NEWS: 1.4.2.3 update is out! More info here. Report bugs here
  • CONSOLE 1.4 LAUNCHES SEP 30: The official launch date for Journey's End to arrive on Xbox and PlayStation is September 30th! Click here for more info. The plan is to have the update on Switch out later this year. Stay up to date with console news here.
  • MOBILE NEWS: Stay up to date with the latest mobile news here. Report mobile bugs here

Switch Splitscreen Terraria Launches on Nintendo Switch

Unreal_Megashark

The Destroyer
This can be fixed by making a small world. Besides who would want a large world with large amounts of lag?
1606178337176.png

ZombiePiggo

The Destroyer
So I am curious. What is the developement for Splitscreen like? I know keybinding and s:joy:t for Consoles are different but how would a second player work?

Furthermore, I am interested if you guys are working to allow 4 Player splitscreen multiplayer. I've played on Xbox One before and it supported three players from when I played, but I'm pretty sure it allows up to four players on a single screen. Is this being worked on for the Switch? Maybe by the release of 1.4 on Switch?

I know DR Studios is working very hard sorry if it sounds like I'm rushing but I am curious to know the development process and how it would turn out.

Loki

Consigliere
Staff member
Re-Logic
Administrator
So I am curious. What is the developement for Splitscreen like? I know keybinding and s:joy:t for Consoles are different but how would a second player work?

Furthermore, I am interested if you guys are working to allow 4 Player splitscreen multiplayer. I've played on Xbox One before and it supported three players from when I played, but I'm pretty sure it allows up to four players on a single screen. Is this being worked on for the Switch? Maybe by the release of 1.4 on Switch?

I know DR Studios is working very hard sorry if it sounds like I'm rushing but I am curious to know the development process and how it would turn out.

At least with the current 1.3 version, 4 Players just basically broke the game performance wise (remember, the Switch is substantially less beefy hardware-wise than an XB1/PS4 even). Most of the complications on splitscreen development stem from performance, UI requirements/differences needed vs single player with the whole screen, and conflicting situations.

It is no small task - but, we shall see what happens when the time comes.

nothingness27

Terrarian
At least with the current 1.3 version, 4 Players just basically broke the game performance wise (remember, the Switch is substantially less beefy hardware-wise than an XB1/PS4 even). Most of the complications on splitscreen development stem from performance, UI requirements/differences needed vs single player with the whole screen, and conflicting situations.

It is no small task - but, we shall see what happens when the time comes.

Can you do 4 players on 2 switch consoles (2 on each)? If I do an online game with 2 consoles, a second split-screen player can no longer join in on either of the consoles.

If not is there any plan to implement this? I understand 4 players on 1 console is too demanding for the Switch but it seems like it could work fine across 2 consoles.

I appreciate the help!

Top Bottom