Switch Splitscreen Terraria Launches on Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you do 4 players on 2 switch consoles (2 on each)? If I do an online game with 2 consoles, a second split-screen player can no longer join in on either of the consoles.

If not is there any plan to implement this? I understand 4 players on 1 console is too demanding for the Switch but it seems like it could work fine across 2 consoles.

I appreciate the help!

Not.... sure actually? Great question - my GUESS is that it would be too much strain on the hosting device... but then again, maybe not. Has anyone tried this?

Yes! I got Terraria on the switch but I don’t have Nintendo Switch online and this is the perfect solution for me! I hope that sometime in the future there is local multiplayer so that 2 people can play next to each other on the same internet without having to buy Nintendo switch online.

I wonder when japanese devs will stop being lazy and localize this update
i'm waiting for it so long yet last update was may
i never wished to be lived in anywhere else before

Greetings Terrarians!

We are quite pleased to share with you that the latest update for Terraria on Nintendo Switch has been approved by Nintendo and that it will be making its way to everyone today! This update includes the highly-anticipated two-player Splitscreen mode!

Along with this long-desired feature comes a solid handful of bug fixes - both for two-player Splitscreen and for the core Single Player experience. Let's take a quick moment to dive into the details so that you can get started today on your Splitscreen experience!

To start your Splitscreen adventure, you will need a second paired set of controls and each player will need their own user account on the Switch. With all of that in place, here is how you get going!
  • Player One should start up a Single Player game - choose their character and the world on which you want to play​
  • Once the game has loaded completely, Player Two should pick up their controller and press the A button​
  • This will bring up the User Account Selection Menu - Player Two then selects their Switch User Account​
  • Upon selecting their account, Player Two will be able to select any Character files tied to that account (or create a new one if they do not have any)​
  • Once Player Two picks their Character, they will load into the game... and off you and your buddy go on your Splitscreen Terraria adventures!​

All other controls should work as per the normal game, just with a bit different viewport. Note that you can zoom in/out just as you can with Single Player (Pause, ZL/ZR) to allow for greater visibility.

As always, if you encounter bugs, be sure to report them into the team as possible using the Console Bug Report section (Console Bug Reports).

The team hopes that you enjoy this long-awaited feature as well as the handful of fixes as we now turn towards the future of Terraria on Nintendo Switch: Journey's End! We hope to have news on that front as we move ahead - so stay tuned for further updates on this and more.
hello, I'm very new to terraria but I would like to ask a question, will you launch the pt language to switch?

Question, Does this mean that one person could play on pro controller and one on original switch controllers?

Thanks Devs keep up the amazing work.

I want to use two-player splitscreen mode ,but I can't split screen on Switch.
I searched many related articles and videos.
The operation method looks very simple.
  1. Player One should start up a Single Player game - choose their character and the world on which you want to play
  2. Once the game has loaded completely, Player Two should pick up their controller and press the A button
  3. This will bring up the User Account Selection Menu - Player Two then selects their Switch User Account
  4. Upon selecting their account, Player Two will be able to select any Character files tied to that account (or create a new one if they do not have any)
  5. Once Player Two picks their Character, they will load into the game... and off you and your buddy go on your Splitscreen Terraria adventures!
I successfully chose the character and world of the first player.
The problem is when I get to step2.
When the world is loaded and the first player plays ,I press A button to join the second player.
Nothing happened ! Even I tried many times or pressed any other button.
I am sure 2 pro con will connect when I press A button.(I confirmed from the console in Switch ,and 2 pro con has two lights)
However, there is no change in the screen, and there is no option to select Player Two Switch User Account.
I bought Terraria on April 28, 2021.
I check the software version in Switch is the latest.

Are there other installation files to download ?
How can I solve it ?

Thank you very much.

Perhaps, like in my question, you can't connect a pro controller? I'm not sure but I'm considering buying a Pro-con so I'll take a look.

Greetings Terrarians!

We are quite pleased to share with you that the latest update for Terraria on Nintendo Switch has been approved by Nintendo and that it will be making its way to everyone today! This update includes the highly-anticipated two-player Splitscreen mode!

Along with this long-desired feature comes a solid handful of bug fixes - both for two-player Splitscreen and for the core Single Player experience. Let's take a quick moment to dive into the details so that you can get started today on your Splitscreen experience!

To start your Splitscreen adventure, you will need a second paired set of controls and each player will need their own user account on the Switch. With all of that in place, here is how you get going!
  • Player One should start up a Single Player game - choose their character and the world on which you want to play​
  • Once the game has loaded completely, Player Two should pick up their controller and press the A button​
  • This will bring up the User Account Selection Menu - Player Two then selects their Switch User Account​
  • Upon selecting their account, Player Two will be able to select any Character files tied to that account (or create a new one if they do not have any)​
  • Once Player Two picks their Character, they will load into the game... and off you and your buddy go on your Splitscreen Terraria adventures!​

All other controls should work as per the normal game, just with a bit different viewport. Note that you can zoom in/out just as you can with Single Player (Pause, ZL/ZR) to allow for greater visibility.

As always, if you encounter bugs, be sure to report them into the team as possible using the Console Bug Report section (Console Bug Reports).

The team hopes that you enjoy this long-awaited feature as well as the handful of fixes as we now turn towards the future of Terraria on Nintendo Switch: Journey's End! We hope to have news on that front as we move ahead - so stay tuned for further updates on this and more.
Ok cool but dye removed my Solar Flare Armor can you fix it?

At least with the current 1.3 version, 4 Players just basically broke the game performance wise (remember, the Switch is substantially less beefy hardware-wise than an XB1/PS4 even). Most of the complications on splitscreen development stem from performance, UI requirements/differences needed vs single player with the whole screen, and conflicting situations.

It is no small task - but, we shall see what happens when the time comes.
Hope that you guys can do it considering that it was possible on previous consoles such as the Wii U, Xbox 360, and PS3. Maybe switching the lighting to white or retro would solve performance problems as well as turning off wave physics and the fancy storm graphics when more than 2 players are active? Worst comes to worst, you could lower the quality to the equivalent of PC medium or low. I find that on low end computers, at least (2011 computer that's less powerful than switch), this improves performance to playable levels, when it was unplayable before and this is on 1.4.2.3.

Hope that you guys can do it considering that it was possible on previous consoles such as the Wii U, Xbox 360, and PS3. Maybe switching the lighting to white or retro would solve performance problems as well as turning off wave physics and the fancy storm graphics when more than 2 players are active? Worst comes to worst, you could lower the quality to the equivalent of PC medium or low. I find that on low end computers, at least (2011 computer that's less powerful than switch), this improves performance to playable levels, when it was unplayable before and this is on 1.4.2.3.

Remember that PC doesn't even have splitscreen. We have no real idea what a splitscreen play would do on a low end PC. Splitscreen is substantially more taxing on the system than a single player.

The older gen consoles were not running 1.4... or even 1.3 for that matter. 1.3 brought about a substantial increase in hardware requirements... which is why those older consoles do not even have 1.3 at all, much less splitscreen. So, unfortunately, that doesn't help us here.

Will 4P split be considered? Sure. Can it be promised? Afraid not.

Just giving you the honest take here.

Greetings Terrarians!

Nice

Has the entity limit been fixed? Celestial Towers and/or multi-shot bow w/ holy arrows are literal hell, and have even crashed my game.

Greetings Terrarians!

I was honestly hoping for four players but this is still amazing

Greetings Terrarians!

I play with my partner but my daughter also owns the game on her SwitchLite and wants to group play when away with other family. Any way we can do split screen in Multiplayer mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom