Member-Run Contest Spriteathalon Part II

ROUND 2 RESULTS:

Sorry that this was a day late! I had other things I needed to get done! This will be shorter b/c I want to move on faster! Comments will be much more concise.

@Giga
@Huzbubber Tim
@Melty
@TerrorPenguin
@SDf

TerrorPenguin:

Creativity: 4/5

Palette: 5/5 - Colors seen bleached, but that gives nice contrast to the dark body of the gun!

Effort: 9/10 - Amazing work, I just feel like it should retain some elements of the original Phoenix Blaster (it’s an upgrade, after all!)

Total Score: 18/20

Melty:

Palette: 2/5 - Hue shift was slightly off, the red felt out of place, and you used 13 colors - 5 alone for the outline.

Effort: 8/10 - While I did have issues about the colors, the general shape and the design showed me that you did combine two firearms and upgrade them!

Point Gained (+1) - for merging two weapons!

Total Score: 15/20

SDf:

Palette: 5/5 - Hue shift is present, colors nicely fit.

Effort: 7/10 - I understand not all miniguns have “minigun-like” characteristics, but your sprite didn’t suggest the idea of a minigun at first. The gray shading also felt rushed on the lower left corner of your weapon.

Total Score: 16/20

Huzbubber Tim:

Creativity: 5/5 - It’s nice you took time to come up with unique ammunition as well!

Palette: 4/5 - There’s a lot of colors, but they’re controlled for each weapon

Effort: 7/10 - The flares were lit brilliant, but the weapon itself didn’t remind me very much of a gun that shoots flares, and the shading presented a rocky texture, almost.

Total Score: 16/20

Giga:

Creativity: 5/5 - It’s got the revolver feel, and the scope is an interesting addon to say the least! (But I wonder why a revolver needs a scope?)

Palette: 4/5 - The body shade of blue-gray was good, the only issue was that (on my display, at least) I thought you only used 2 colors for the purples, because the two brightest colors had extremely low contrast with each other.

Effort: 8/10 - The idea? Amazing. The scope and stock were nicely added on. However, the shading takes away, as the dark and light purple tones felt like they contrasted with each other (one was really dark, the other really light), and while it does have the general shape, it lacks a key element for your typical revolver - the chamber for bullets.

Final Score: 17/20

Round Champion: TerrorPenguin - 18/20

Eliminated: Melty - 15/20

Melty, terrific gun, wonderful design, but regretfully, you have to exit. It was amazing to have you here, and I loved the design of the weapon, just have better color control! Good luck to you in the future!

Alright, without further ado, Round 3!

Participants:
@Huzbubber Tim
@Giga
@TerrorPenguin
@SDf

Prompt: The dungeon has a skeletal guardian, and recently, the lizhard dungeon obtained a brand new guardian as well! To continue the process of converting Terraria to Dark Souls 4, let’s add some guardians to the sky as well to get rid of those pesky anti-grav potioners as well! Sprite up a new guardian for the skies!

Point Gain Opportunity: Incorporate land-based elements into your sprites!

Handicap: TerrorPenguin - You must include the colors of Skyplate blocks in your mob!

Best of Luck!
-Ai
[doublepost=1542583732,1542583664][/doublepost]
How are the results coming?
Finished...
[doublepost=1542994863][/doublepost]@HuzbubberTim , @TerrorPenguin , @Giga , @SDf
Sorry for the alert, but you all have 3 days left! Hopefully you all have something ready by then!

Spriteathlon GargoyleThing.png
A few minutes after saying I couldn't think of anything, I thought of this
Tis a gargoyle, it would spawn atop the sky house and attack you if you get within 30(?) tiles

Oof, the horns should've been yellow
I'm too lazy to fix up the sprite anymore, so whatever
And the perspective on the back leg is completely scuffed

Last edited:
Ok, the shading is a bit off, but other than that I really pushed myself on the design of this one.

So, the harpies are the residents of the houses atop the floating isands of the Terraria world, but without a defender they would be long dead. Created from the winds, the clouds, and a crap ton of Sunplate, the Skyware Guard now stands watch over the cities of the harpies, destroying anything in it's way with a swing of it's giant staff.

Sky Guardian.png
(
Sky Guardian Palate.png
Palate)

Basically, this big dude would rarely spawn in the sky and space biomes, and he would dash at the layer, release large gusts of wind, and swing it's staff at the player to do damage.

Dropping out due to a lack of motivation and time cya
I guess that's fine. Sorry if this was a crappy event or bored you. Bye!

@SDf you've got around 6 hours to sprite something, if you exceed that time limit, you'll be disqualified or heavily docked in points...hurry!

So it's just down to me and @TerrorPenguin now?
Pretty much.

@TerrorPenguin and @Huzbubber Tim, well, you guys are the only ones left… This...is quite interesting. Well, let’s scrap the ideas I had for the next two rounds and just move straight to finals!

*Ahem* Welcome, finalists, to the Final Round of Spritathalon IV! Honestly, I was expecting this to go on longer, but sits in a burning building this is fine. Well, since you guys might be busy with something or IRL stuff, let’s make this a simple, quick round. Sprite me a new terraria 1.4 texture pack Let’s do this: In this round, I want you to go back through the previous rounds and look over other people’s entries (this cannot be your own). Once you have selected something you think is pretty cool, I want you to OVERHAUL the design to your own tastes. However, because this is finals, there are two challenges to be enforced: 1. You MUST use the already given palette from the entry, and 2. The new entry MUST be approximately the same size as the old one.

Color Palette will be eliminated from the scoring board, and the 5 points will go into the Creativity category, where I will be comparing the old design to the new design.

If any eliminated or conceded participants would still like to try, please feel free to do so!

Point Gain Opportunity: You cannot re-sprite something from the second round. (+1 to creativity)

Good luck!
And please don’t leave midround I want a good finals round D:

Pretty much.

@TerrorPenguin and @Huzbubber Tim, well, you guys are the only ones left… This...is quite interesting. Well, let’s scrap the ideas I had for the next two rounds and just move straight to finals!

*Ahem* Welcome, finalists, to the Final Round of Spritathalon IV! Honestly, I was expecting this to go on longer, but sits in a burning building this is fine. Well, since you guys might be busy with something or IRL stuff, let’s make this a simple, quick round. Sprite me a new terraria 1.4 texture pack Let’s do this: In this round, I want you to go back through the previous rounds and look over other people’s entries (this cannot be your own). Once you have selected something you think is pretty cool, I want you to OVERHAUL the design to your own tastes. However, because this is finals, there are two challenges to be enforced: 1. You MUST use the already given palette from the entry, and 2. The new entry MUST be approximately the same size as the old one.

Color Palette will be eliminated from the scoring board, and the 5 points will go into the Creativity category, where I will be comparing the old design to the new design.

If any eliminated or conceded participants would still like to try, please feel free to do so!

Point Gain Opportunity: You cannot re-sprite something from the second round. (+1 to creativity)

Good luck!
And please don’t leave midround I want a good finals round D:
Oooo, sounds nicce

Vortex Flare Minigun Overhaul.png
Vortex Flare Overhaul.png

Ok, here's my entry! I decided to overhaul Melty's Vortex Flare Minigun. (The palate was meh, but I made do)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom