Biomes & Nature [Sprites] Biome-colored lava

Snickerbobble

The Painter
Biomes have a unique effect on water which changes water's color, so I thought: How about lava, too?

ZsJMJKi.png
Normal: How it appears everywhere else besides the below biomes.
b7ZLqM2.png
Corruption: A bright green, like cursed flames.
pM70Gpt.png
Crimson: A bright yellow, like ichor.
wPVYz8e.png
Hallow: A glowing cyan as... I dunno.
IgC2Z1D.png
Snow: Turns a dark gray with red cracks/wrinkles, like it's cooling down.
7EizJgy.png
Jungle: Black? Like tar.. *shrug*

8sqLsKr.png
Confection: A glowing brown, as hot chocolate. No, don't drink it- it's boiling!
sHAEgrV.png
Cyber: A transparent white, as battery acid. @Zoomo
TvndOea.png
Contagion: A sickly purple, like its hardmode Miasma material. @Tobbvald

Dunno on the others.

A huge thanks to @jordan for these pictures!
vL393SN.png

IrnxjWz.png
npnHFPy.png

@jordan has proved through modding that lava can be changed when entering different biomes to inflict different debuffs! This means cursed green lava will inflict cursed flames, ichor yellow lava will inflict ichor, and etc. All this possible with the same liquid, so this idea would not be pushing the liquid limit.

You could change the color of lava outside the corresponding biome with water fountains.. OR with new lava fountain items that appear to be made of obsidian rather than stone, likely sold by the Witch Doctor in Hardmode.

This change would not only expand upon the themes of the different biomes, but allow for new decorative liquid types as well. Instead of
just
ZsJMJKi.png
, there'd be a variety of colors
ZsJMJKi.png
b7ZLqM2.png
pM70Gpt.png
wPVYz8e.png
IgC2Z1D.png
7EizJgy.png
(
8sqLsKr.png
sHAEgrV.png
TvndOea.png
)!

Last edited:
Biomes have a unique effect on water which changes water's color, so I thought: How about lava, too?

ZsJMJKi.png
Normal: How it appears everywhere else besides the below biomes.
b7ZLqM2.png
Corruption: A bright green, like cursed flames. Inflicts Cursed Inferno.
pM70Gpt.png
Crimson: A bright yellow, like ichor. Inflicts Ichor.
wPVYz8e.png
Hallow: A glowing cyan as... I dunno. Inflicts Confusion
IgC2Z1D.png
Snow: Turns a dark gray with red cracks/wrinkles, like it's cooling down. Less damage, but thickens like honey, so potentially deadlier.
7EizJgy.png
Jungle: Black? Like tar.. *shrug*

Debuffs may or may not be possible.. the color change is the main part of this suggestion.

8sqLsKr.png
Confection: A glowing brown, as hot chocolate. No, don't drink it- it's boiling!
sHAEgrV.png
Cyber: A transparent white, as battery acid. @Zoomo
TvndOea.png
Contagion: A sickly purple, like its hardmode Miasma material. @Tobbvald

Dunno on the others.

You could change the color of lava outside the corresponding biome with water fountains.. OR with new lava fountain items that appear to be made of obsidian rather than stone, likely sold by the Witch Doctor in Hardmode.

This change would not only expand upon the themes of the different biomes, but allow for new decorative liquid types as well. Instead of just
ZsJMJKi.png
, there'd be a variety of colors
ZsJMJKi.png
b7ZLqM2.png
pM70Gpt.png
wPVYz8e.png
IgC2Z1D.png
7EizJgy.png
(
8sqLsKr.png
sHAEgrV.png
TvndOea.png
)!
This is a really cool idea! Great job. Point +5
First!

This would be cool but wouldn't all of these count as new liquids?

Edit: @jordan has proved that this is possible, look in the OP or a few posts down

Last edited:
I agree with Terror, these are completely new liquids. In fact, red will NEED to code in new liquids for this to work, due to some of them giving you cursed buffs, others being slow but deadly, etc.

They'd be 'new' for their appearance and effects on the player (which Snicker already mentioned perhaps not being doable, and this being purely aesthetic, like how water changes color from biome to biome), but I think for the sake of differentiating liquids by how they interact with one another, they should still act like lava on that front. IE, water hitting any of these will still make obsidian (even though that wouldn't entirely make sense), and honey hitting any of these would still turn crispy.

The snow one is the only one that's really questionable due to it also taking on a different consistency altogether. However, it's also really hard to get lava in a snow biome without artificial moving around of materials because I'm pretty sure underground ice almost if not always naturally ends just short of the lava layer. I'd say leave that one out, for now, especially due to its complex texture that might not mesh with the game's upcoming new liquid physics.

It would also be weird, still, to have even cooling lava in contact with ice. Perhaps the glowing cyan could be used in the ice biome (and optionally inflict frostburn), and the Hallow instead have glowing pink or magenta 'lava' like the various Chaos creatures?

Very simple in its essence, but extremely atmospheric. The part with special debuffs seems unnecessarily complex and kind of works against the purpose of an otherwise very small change. Plus I think adding special debuffs to the liquid would fall under the category of creating new liquids, something Terraria apparently can't handle, at least not on the scale you are suggesting.

The important part which would most likely decide whether this could become a thing or not is lighting and above all particles, because though it would be cool with biome-affected lava, having it still glow brightly red, and inflict brightly orange particles would be weird. In reality, fire can have many colors other than orange, so the color doesn't work against the fact that it's lava. The debuffs wouldn't be such a big loss if it meant implementation I think.

Making this right now and having some trouble with changing the colour of the lighting on the lava. If anyone more proficient could chime in on this it would be pretty helpful. .tapi file is included if anyone wants to look through and insult my methods :) Did this pretty quick so I have only done the cursed inferno and ichor and it seems to work pretty well. Also managed to remove the on fire debuff from the 'custom' lava. (Also I have yet to change lava fall colours)

Also it should be pretty obvious that I like this idea! Awesome suggestion Snicker.

EDIT: Some screens for you all.

vL393SN.png

IrnxjWz.png

As you can see it looks pretty nice and really fitting. These screens are taken in game!

Attachments

• Biome Lava.tapi
    6.1 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Wow, this looks really nice! Judging by the screens Jordan put up, it makes it really atmospheric and nice.

Changing the effects and debuffs is, as others have said, apparently impossible with the current engine. But color changing would work fine.

Oh, and may I suggest that lava biome fountains be crafted with the regular fountains and obsidian? It seems neater than adding ~10 new items to the witch doctor's inventory and gives more uses for obsidian.

like water. only cosmetic

edit- unless debuffs then yeah, no way to do that without new liquids(90% sure)
If you read my post yo would see that it is 100% possible as I have already done it. Don't know why people have this idea that it is not possible. We are just changing a liquid in a biome, not adding a new one to the game for every biome. Refer to my post here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?posts/443464/

I'll have a test of this in game and will include it in the mod, with your permission of course!

Well, I think that it could inflict the debuffs without really adding more liquids. It checks to see which biome the player is in, and it then inflicts the debuff accordingly.
People really need to start reading some of the other posts in the thread as I have literally already made part of the mod, with debuffs as well. Refer to link above

Wow, this looks really nice! Judging by the screens Jordan put up, it makes it really atmospheric and nice.

Changing the effects and debuffs is, as others have said, apparently impossible with the current engine. But color changing would work fine.

Oh, and may I suggest that lava biome fountains be crafted with the regular fountains and obsidian? It seems neater than adding ~10 new items to the witch doctor's inventory and gives more uses for obsidian.
Give my post a proper read and then realize that debuffs are done already.

Edit: The only thing I can't figure out is how to change lighting colour, so any mode with coloured lighting just looks weird right now. Would love some input on that one with a way to fix. Will also get around to adding the other liquids after work.

Edit 2: Tried the new sprites real quick and right now they just look extremely horrible the way it is stitching them together and also the fact that it isn't animated, as lava is not. I might be able to change that, but not sure if tAPI could do that. Possible in source however :p

Last edited:
It looks really nice, though I believe that it is not necessary for it to give you different debuffs. If the green lava would cause the Cursed Flame debuff it'd make sense, but why would Crimson Lava cause the Ichor debuff? It's not piss, it's still lava. Also, I don't think that the Jungle and Snow biome should have it's own lava, since they are natural biome and not "infected" versions of existing land.

Back
Top Bottom