Weapons & Equip [Sprites] Crab Pots

Snickerbobble

The Painter
With planters and pots you can farm and harvest dozens, even hundreds of herbs at a time but when it comes to fish, you're stuck with the relatively slow process of fetching fish after fish.. what if fishing was made a little easier, and automatic like herb farming?

hAK2soo.png

Crab Pots! I couldn't decide on a color, so here's a few of them.

Crafted with 10 Iron/Lead Bars and 5 of any bait with at least 30% bait power, these pots can be placed on the surface of any liquid to slowly catch fish over time, letting you do other stuff, like planters allow. When they catch something they will begin to vibrate, and right clicking them will spit the fish item out into your inventory.

Pros:
  • Can catch fish without needing to fish.
  • Needs a few bait to craft, but will catch fish infinitely.
Cons:
  • They are unable to catch crates and quest fish, so you will still have to fish manually for those.
  • Each crab pot in a body of water will subtract 10 blocks from the water tile count. (If you have a body of water with 300 tiles with 10 crab pots in it, the catching rate for the crab pots will be that of a 200 tile body of water. Fishing by pole will not suffer the fishing penalty, though.)
  • A slow process, catches one fish on average 1-2 in-game days.
  • Can only hold one fish at a time, so they need to be looted now and then.
May make a later game version that can catch crates. What do you think?

They are also called those it seems.

But names aside, what do you think?
Well, is there really any point to the pots if they just catch regular fish? It basically just gets you fish that you can sell, you can do the same thing a lot faster if you use a fishing rod.

I'm a little disappointed! I came to this topic expecting crabs walking around, using pots the way hermit crabs use shells! Darn!

I will do the same thing as I did in Stardew Valley: Spam Crab Pots on every water tile possible. Profit.
But since you can't skip day (Sundial not count) rapidly, this seems balanced.

I'd need some kind of guarantee it would only catch a certain type of fish to even consider using it. Otherwise it'd just be a source of Bass. Planter Boxes are good because they allow you to mass-harvest rare herbs and get a potion stick going. Unless I'm going to be able to guarantee a supply of Armored Cavefish or Prismite when I go to check on my pots, they'd just be a waste of resources and time.

Considering they're only going to hold one fish per box and you'd require a very, very large supply of water to mass cultivate fish it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom