Biomes & Nature [Sprites] Floating Islands Expanded: Perilous Heights

darkrown

Duke Fishron
Hello everyone, this is Vlad :D (or darkrown, whatever you prefer, lol). On my third entry for the Biomes Expanded Project I'm going to be looking at the Floating Islands biome. While not as obsolete as the ocean or the desert, the biome is quickly forgotten after the player obtains wings, since there is no real incentive for returning. I took a bit of time to come up with a few more monsters and drops that would revitalize the biome and make it, in my opinion, more interesting. Let's jump into it~

FLOATING ISLANDS EXPANDED
P E R I L O U S H E I G H T S

LAYOUT

Floating Islands are now larger and spawn in greater numbers. Aside from the Sunplate buildings, up to three Sun Chambers can spawn per world. Each Sun Chamber contains a single Dragon Urn, which is used to spawn the new boss

MECHANICS

Bleeding.png

BLEEDING (REVAMPED)
DEBUFF
The Bleeding debuff halts health regeneration regardless of source and makes the afflicted target 10% more vulnerable to physical damage. Also, if the target moves while the debuff is active, they lose 4 HP per second. The debuff doesn't stack, but is refreshed if the target receives damage from the same source in an interval of 3 seconds.

The creatures of the Floating Islands all have sharp talons and beaks, so the Bleeding debuff seemed like a good fit. However, the debuff itself is a bit underwhelming; only a really small number of enemies are able to inflict it and the penalty isn't really as scary as it sounds, as the player can simply rely on potions for regenerating HP. This attempts to fix this situation by making it into an element that can be scary even late game; once you have the debuff, you have to decide between avoiding enemy attacks and losing HP each second, or sitting still at the risk of receiving extra damage and having the debuff refreshed.

MOBS

PRE HARDMODE

LiG2Kx2.png

HARPY
Half bird, half woman, these fierce creatures will ambush intruders that stray too close to their nests.
Stats are the same as the current version.
I always though the original Harpy sprite was slightly.. off? Main issue was readability, since the hair and feathers have really close colors. Their attacks also now inflict the Bleeding debuff.

AZlDdnt.png

PRISM
Magical constructs animated by long forgotten magic, Prisms fire rays of concentrated light at those who dare approach the Floating Islands.
MAX HP: 100
DAMAGE: 20
DEFENSE: 10
SPAWN: Somewhat rarely, hanging below Floating Islands (never more than 3 per island)
Prisms serve as an obstacle for newer players that are trying to reach floating islands. Their fire rate is low, but they can knock back a player that is using a block column to go up.

DROPS:

Magic_Mirror.png

MAGIC MIRROR
DROP RATE: 5%
Magic Mirrors are really useful early game, but they can be a pain to obtain. Adding them as a mob drop ensures that you won't be fighting over one when playing with friends~

94o8f69.png

SILENT WATCHER
Any who would seek the treasures of the Floating Islands must first pass the Watcher's test. Few ever do.

MAX HP: 200
DAMAGE: 2

DEFENSE: 15
SPAWN: In front of Sunplate house doors. Respawn on full moons
The immobile Silent Watchers guard the Sunplate structures that spawn on Floating Islands. They deal minimal touch damage; however, if the player gets close enough ( to the point where they can touch the house), they will emit a sudden pulse that has tremendous knockback power. If the player is knocked into a solid block or object, they will instantly take 150 damage, regardless of armor and other defensive equipment. Usually, however, the player will just get blasted off the Island. Easy to dispatch with ranged weapons.
DROPS:

FlFM1sQ.png

THE UNHEARD HAND

DAMAGE: 2
KNOCKBACK: 9 (Insane)
USE TIME: 35 (Slow)
MANA: 10
DROP RATE: 2%
The Unheard Hand summons an immobile, miniature version of a Silent Watcher, that deals little damage but has a very powerful knockback effect. Useful for keeping enemies away. Unlike most immobile summons, the Unheard Hand benefits from minion limit items.
POST HARDMODE
MGd70QF.png

DAUGHTER OF THE FLAME
These fiery monsters are fiercely teritorial and will instantly engage anyone who enters their domain. Their scorching flames can overwhelm even the best prepared warriors.
MAX HP: 290
DAMAGE: 60
DEFENSE: 21
SPAWN: Hardmode, Harpy height, Floating Islands over Desert only.

Daughters of the Flame only spawn above deserts, although the rate is quite high. They will shoot a volley of 3 flaming feathers that inflict the On Fire! debuff and on death, they explode in a burst of flame akin to the Inferno Fork that deals 100 damage.
DROPS:

kgD6s7N.png

FLAME ROD
DAMAGE: 32
KNOCKBACK: 0.3 (Extremely Weak)
USE TIME: 28 (Average)
MANA: 8
DROP RATE: 1%

The Flame Rod acts as a mana fueled Flamethrower over a shorter range. Enemies killed by the Flame Rod explode, dealing splash damage in a small area.

UPqKBcN.png

ALOE VERA EXTRACT
Why does the Ankh Shield randomly grant Burning resistance? The Aloe Vera Extract now gives this effect and can be combined with the Muffler to create the Poultice, a new required component for the Ankh Charm.

Fire_Feather.png

FIRE FEATHER

DROP RATE: 1.77%
For those who would rather farm above ground. Slightly higher drop rate due to more restrictive drop conditions.

JF8chev.png

DAUGHTER OF THE COLD
Shy and reclusive, Daughters of the Cold will usually avoid open conflict. Should they spot any intruders, however, they will ruthlessly fight for their teritory.
MAX HP: 300
DAMAGE: 40
DEFENSE: 22
SPAWN: Hardmode, Harpy height, Floating Islands over Snow only.

Daughters of the Cold only spawn above snow, although the rate is quite high. They will shoot a volley of 4 frozen feathers that inflict the Chilled debuff and on death, they unleash a blizzard over a moderate area that slows any players by 75% and deals 30 damage every second. Lasts 5 seconds.

DROPS:

ZQRf7SF.png

FROST ROD
DAMAGE: 25
KNOCKBACK: 0.3 (Extremely Weak)
USE TIME: 28 (Average)
MANA: 25

The Frost Rod shoots out slow travelling icy clouds that slow enemies they pass over by 25% and deal them damage every second.

IEsm2qM.png

MUFFLER
Why does the Ankh Shield not grant Chilled resistance? The Muffler now gives this effect and can be combined with the Aloe Vera Extract to create the Poultice, a new required component for the Ankh Charm.
Ice_Feather.png

ICE FEATHER

For those who would farm regardless of the weather. Lower drop rate due to easier farming possibilities.
BgjUmGr.png

HARPY MATRIARCH
Every now and again, a stronger and more ferocious Harpy hatches. These brutes will usually assume control of their flock through force and lead them in devastating rampages.

MAX HP: 500
DAMAGE: 80-95
DEFENSE: 30
SPAWN: Hardmode, somewhat rare, Harpy height. Higher spawn rate when at least 3 Harpy type monsters are visible on the screen.
The Harpy Matriarchs are the bigger, angrier version of standard Harpies. They shoot 5 lightning quick feathers, will lunge at the player and are also immune to knockback. While on screen, any other present Harpy type monsters will also receive a 10% bonus to damage and speed. Their attacks inflict the Bleeding debuff.

DROPS:

rm6yEBU.png

FAN OF THE MISTRESS
DAMAGE: 34
KNOCKBACK: 7 (Extremely Strong)
USE TIME: 30 (Average)
MANA: 22

The Fan of the Mistress shoots out slow travelling, smaller versions of Fishron's tornadoes that will immobilize and collect up to 3 enemies in their path, dealing damage to them every 0.5 seconds for 3 seconds. If a tornado has collected 3 enemies, it will not sweep up any other enemies it hits, but it will knock them back and deal damage.

4AWiMcZ.png

LESSER WYVERN
These runaway hatchlings are not as strong as their adult counterparts, but are still deadly by human standards.
MAX HP: 350
DAMAGE: 65-70
DEFENSE: 22
SPAWN: Hardmode, Harpy height, after the player defeats his first Wyvern.
Lesser Wyverns are slightly slower and substantially weaker than actual Wyverns, but they can still be a nuisance. Any subsequent Wyverns that spawn after the first one is defeated have a chance of having one or two Lesser Wyverns spawn along. Uses the same AI as the Wyvern.

DROPS:

-

BWR520D.png

SLIMEX
To adapt to the perilous environment of the Floating Islands, some Slimes grow wings. While most dismiss them as merely a silly sight, this is often the advantage the Slimex needs to surprise its prey.

MAX HP: 50 (Wings), 80 (No Wings)
DAMAGE: 50
DEFENSE: 20
SPAWN: Hardmode, Floating Islands.

Slimer equivalent. Has two sets of HP, which it swaps when it loses its wings.
DROPS:

qGFl7nK.png

STONEFIST TOKEN
DROP RATE: 1
The Stonefist Token increase the knockback the player deals by 50%.

pxNXEh6.png

SYLPH
Sylphs are peaceful creatures of the air and will usually avoid contact with humans. If cornered, they can produce a dust that paralyzes their assailant.

MAX HP: 150
DAMAGE: 0
DEFENSE: 11
SPAWN: Hardmode, Floating Islands, rarely
Sylphs are non hostile enemies that spawn rarely on Floating Islands. If attacked, they will instantly blast the player with a cloud of dust that does no damage but slows movement and attack speed by 90% (affects all weapons' use time).

DROPS:

uKSQfXD.png

SYLPH'S EYE
DAMAGE: 0
KNOCKBACK: 0
USE TIME: 35 (Slow)
DROP RATE: 0.5%
The Sylph's Eye summons up to three friendly Sylphs that each boost the player's Health regen rate by 50% and Mana regen rate by 20%. The Sylphs don't count towards the total active minion number but for each Sylph summoned the player reserves 15% of their total Mana, up to 45% (Mana becomes unavailable for use while the Sylphs are summoned).

MxQAfE0.png

WISTFUL CUMULUS
This depressed resident of the skies blasts any who get too close with streams of lightning.
MAX HP: 400
DAMAGE: 70
DEFENSE: 28
SPAWN: Hardmode, post Plantera. Floating Islands in rainy weather.
The Wistful Cumulus spawns in rainy weather and will zap the player with a stream of lightning that deals damage every second. The static link is broken if the player moves away, althought the Cumulus will chase the player.

DROPS:

1Un0sl4.png

CUMULUS ROD
DAMAGE: 45
KNOCKBACK: 0.2 (Extremely Weak)
USE TIME: 21 (Fast)
DROP RATE: 4.5%
The Cumulus Rod summons a lighting cloud, similar to the Crimson and Nimbus Rod. However, the cloud will not drop rain on enemies, but will instead zap up to three enemies over an average area. The cloud deals damage every 0.4 seconds (that's really fast, if you can't tell c:)

l9gPVok.png

COCKATRICE
The legendary gurdian of the clouds, the Cockatrice arrives to banish would-be intruders. All living beings turn to stone under its gaze.
MAX HP: 3300
DAMAGE: 75
DEFENSE: 32
KNOCKBACK RESIST: 60%
SPAWN: Hardmode, Floating Islands, rarely.
The Floating Islands' new miniboss. While directly facing the Cockatrice, the player suffers a 50% penalty in movement and attack speed. Attacking the Cockatrice with a melee weapon boosts the effect by 10%, while magic and ranged attacks increase it by 5%. The Cockatrice will shoot razor wind projectiles and will also dive at the player in the same pattern as the Wyvern. Its attacks inflict the Bleeding debuff.

DROPS:

BLCVS98.png

EYE OF THE COCKATRICE
DAMAGE: 52
KNOCKBACK: 0.2 (Extremely Weak)
USE TIME: 21 (Fast)

DROP RATE: 6.66%
The Eye of the Cockatrice shoots all arrows in a perfectly straight line. Using it also causes arrows to drop small clones of themselves during their travel, effectively carpet bombing the area. The cloned arrows deal 25% less damage.

BOSS

X1ymr5J.png

THE DREADWYRM
Father of all dragons, when the Dreadwyrm descends, the skies bellow. None can escape its fiery wrath.

MAX HP: 28000
DAMAGE: 85-100
DEFENSE: 25
SPAWN: Hardmode, post Plantera, Floating Islands. Break Dragon Urn to spawn

[WIP]
The Dreadwyrm battle is very much similar to the Wyvern fight. He follows the same general attack pattern, looping in the air in an attempt to pummel the player. However, it is much more nimble, moving faster and being able to loop below to player, which makes it more unpredictable. In addition, every now and then he will unleash a gout of flames that inflict the Cursed Flames debuff (thing Spazmatism), it will summon Wyrmlings (read below) and its melee attacks inflict the Bleeding debuff.

7XtR0zv.png

WYRMLING

The children of dragons answer the Dreadwyrm's call, rushing to his aid in battle.

MAX HP: 500
DAMAGE: 65
DEFENSE: 28
KNOCKBACK RESIST: 20%
SPAWN: Summoned by the Dreadwyrm.
Dreadwyrm summons, they appear in packs of 3 to 5 and will generally attempt to stay on top of the player and disturb the fight.

DROPS:

TFRPeK9.png

DRAKEREND
DAMAGE: 75
KNOCKBACK: 6 (Very Strong)
USE TIME: 15 (Very Fast)
DROP RATE: 16.6%

The Drakerend has a relatively short reach, but can pierce an unlimited number of enemies on strike and return, up to five times. Inflicts the Bleeding debuff.

S1wHnFp.png

DRAGON BLASTER
DAMAGE: 42
KNOCKBACK: 2 (Very Weak)
USE TIME: 22 (Fast)

Every three shots, the Dragon Blaster's attack will shoot twice. The second shot deals 70% damage, applies flask effects and can crit.

kX8PrW4.png

WYRM'S TALON
DAMAGE: 35
KNOCKBACK: 2.75 (Very Weak)
USE TIME: 15 (Very Fast)
The Wyrm's Talon fires a cone of 4 daggers, similar to the Vampire Knives. The daggers seek out enemies and inflict the Bleeding debuff.
D3R0iec.png

FLUFFWURM PET (GREEN APPLE)

DROP RATE: 3%
Pretty much does what all pets do; follows you around and looks pretty~

BIOME CHEST

Coming soon~

Third biome off the list. Some features are yet to be added, so check back later, and post any feedback down below. Thanks for giving this a read!

Last edited:
pfft, there we go. this should be presentable now. biome chest and some other things are to be added later because I rushed it so I'd look less stupid @_@ this is what you get for being dumb enough to draft straight into the forum editor ;_;

This looks really nice! Though we'll need to expand the Sky itself with Cloud blocks, or it'll be cramped and underwhelming... not everything can be assigned to a specific spot on a Floating Island, we have to expand upward and outward!

If nothing else, I'd definitely go for that revamped Bleeding debuff. Almost makes me wish more things would inflict it!

This looks really nice! Though we'll need to expand the Sky itself with Cloud blocks, or it'll be cramped and underwhelming... not everything can be assigned to a specific spot on a Floating Island, we have to expand upward and outward!

If nothing else, I'd definitely go for that revamped Bleeding debuff. Almost makes me wish more things would inflict it!

I thought the current engine didn't allow for bigger map sizes? But yeah, I agree, *all* biomes need more space, at least to be equal :/

Is that a re-sprited harpy I see?

Yep! Stated in its description. The current sprite reads kind of awkward to me, so I gave redesigning it a whirl

I was thinking about it, but the snow biome is actually pretty well developed. At least compared to these three, haha
How about Forest? I'd love to see a post-Plantera forest boss :p

Anyways, I really, really love this idea! My only disagreement is with the boss, I think an actual Wyvern, like Smaug, would work better for the boss, and I'm not a huge fan of the theme, seems more like a Corruption enemy then a Sky enemy. For example:

latest

EDIT: I'd also personally prefer a pet based more off of the Lesser Wyvern then the boss itself, but I don't mind.

Last edited:
You produce such nice sprite groups to convey your enemy ideas. I definitely concur with the idea of rearranging floating islands into Sky Archipelagos to make use of all that empty space.

I think.. Prisms would make excellent base defenses.

Back
Top Bottom