Game Mechanics [Sprites] Fluorescent light beams

Support.All my Support
I have a Small Idea
Why not add Granite,which can be used to Create Gray gem spark blocks
Also,How would one Obtain Onyx and Aquamarine?

Amazing. The wiring functions, the style...

Perfect for a mad scientist.
Yesh.

I think this is also the coolest way of wireless wiring. Definitely support.

We have been talking about new uses for lenses off an on for a while now...This is a really cool idea.
Congrats! It seems this (or something similar) might be in the game!

@Snickerbobble, question.

How would the other glass blocks affect beams? (Lavafall block, honeyfall block, confetti block, midnight confetti block)

What would happen if it hit a crystal shard or a gem?

I think the ability to make quick and easy wiring across the map as soon as you have the mechanic is a bit too good, I think it would be better if there was a specific beam detector that you place to do that. You could even make it only detect certain colors of light.
That aside this is a pretty good idea with both practical, and decorative uses.

Some ideas as to what the other blocks could do:
Confetti Blocks should obviously make the beam rainbow.
Midnight Confetti Blocks could make it different shades of gray.
Lavafall Blocks could make it do damage.

Holy :red:e, amazing 18/10
Would be even better if there was some block to make the lasers deadly.
Also detectors for specific light colors to output a wire signal, for delicious wiring shenanigans. (Maybe that's going a little too far. :p)

Update! New effects with the different glass blocks:
Hkqr20v.png

Water makes wavy, honeyfall (new block) makes a honeycomb pattern (or more of a loopy one), lavafall makes a lavalamp-like effect (I tried), confetti makes glitter, and midnight confetti.. I decided to call it a twilight beam. Waterfall's wavy effect is compatible with the others. To reverse an effect, have the beam pass through the corresponding block again.

Next: How beams interact with crystal shards, and maybe gems, too. :dryadwink:

I meant that those dots will appear everywhere when a laser is pointed to
I'll see what can be done with discos.

I take it the beam sprites will be actual light beams in-game? Yeah, dumb question probably. Just wanted to be sure.

I'm still worried about performance issues, but...
4stars.gif

I do think there could be more to do with this than just something pretty. Hmm...
Yeah, or have an overlay effect like torches. I wish I was better at spriting lights/fire/lasers..

Right now, it has a use for wiring, but I'll try to think of something more. :)

Amazing. The wiring functions, the style...

Perfect for a mad scientist.
:cool: Yes.

Looks...... PERFECT!
Spaming Laser beam everywhere will be great!
(P/S: Gemspark block's can be turned off without using Actuator, right?)
And what's its range?
Without an actuator, it turns off their light. I was hoping for at least 100 blocks, but it may be less.. seeing how small waterfalls are. I hope they can make some improvements to let these special effects reach further with less lag. Also, thanks!

Support.All my Support
I have a Small Idea
Why not add Granite,which can be used to Create Gray gem spark blocks
Also,How would one Obtain Onyx and Aquamarine?
They're sort of sub-suggestions, probably either underground or through extractinator like amber.

Gray: Maybe.. though granite seems too plentiful in comparison to the gems. Though it could use that.

Wait, another question
If we paint a gemspark block, the light from the block won't change, right?
(Hope not)
As gemsparks all seem to paint the same, aside from diamond, I'd think not.

We have been talking about new uses for lenses off an on for a while now...This is a really cool idea.
Thanks! I hope this could be implemented in the game somehow, or something similar.

Yesh.

I think this is also the coolest way of wireless wiring. Definitely support.

Congrats! It seems this (or something similar) might be in the game!
Hopefully. Thanks!

@Snickerbobble, question.

How would the other glass blocks affect beams? (Lavafall block, honeyfall block, confetti block, midnight confetti block)

What would happen if it hit a crystal shard or a gem?
*points above* :dryadsmile:

I think the ability to make quick and easy wiring across the map as soon as you have the mechanic is a bit too good, I think it would be better if there was a specific beam detector that you place to do that. You could even make it only detect certain colors of light.
That aside this is a pretty good idea with both practical, and decorative uses.

Some ideas as to what the other blocks could do:
Confetti Blocks should obviously make the beam rainbow.
Midnight Confetti Blocks could make it different shades of gray.
Lavafall Blocks could make it do damage.
I could make a new item for that, but what would you use the beam to power up at that point of the game? It would definitely help with teleporters, but those come later.

Those are good ideas! However I went with some others:
Confetti: As we seem to be getting a rainbow torch in 1.3, I was thinking beams that pass over them would cycle through the rainbow, as the other torches change the beam's light to their color.
Midnight Confetti: A gray beam? There could be a gray gemspark block for this, maybe. I just wanted to give another fun pattern to play with, as it would cover all colors, but a gray beam effect would turn everything gray.
Lavafall: I actually considered this at first, but it would probably be too powerful, as you could have beams all over the screen save for a small part for you to sit in and wreck everything.. all available as soon as you find lava and gems. I'd love for a damaging beam trap, but maybe that's better as a new lihzahrd trap: a heat ray kind of trap?

Holy :red:e, amazing 18/10
Would be even better if there was some block to make the lasers deadly.
Also detectors for specific light colors to output a wire signal, for delicious wiring shenanigans. (Maybe that's going a little too far. :p)
This actually started out as a wiring suggestion with this being a sub-suggestion for it. I became too interested with all the possibilities with light beams that I focused on that, and will work on the wiring suggestion later. Once I finish that up, I may be adding more to this topic as well with the new wiring stuff. :)

Oh... My... Gooooooood.

You
DO
NOT
KNOW
THE AMOUNT OF WANT THAT I EXHIBIT!
If the Queen is watching, then this could easily happen!
Purple... All the things... :D

Back
Top Bottom