Game Mechanics [Sprites] Fluorescent light beams

I really like this idea, a lot. However, I do think that making it later-game would be a good idea. Might I suggest that either normal lenses must be refined in some way before being put to use, or that the lenses in this suggestion be drops from wandering eyes? I think wandering eye lenses would fit, seeing as the lenses of their eyes could realistically be the size of a block. Still a great suggestion, I hope this gets implemented!
How about a focusing lenses dropped from retinazer? Nice! this would be awesome for @Yirmir 's death star/ star destroyer. And laser gates, and party rooms, and....

yLCG0Jf.png
if a lense is considered a placeble block, then the last pic of theese 4 is not possible. Great idea btw.

It would require some special coding, yes, but it would by no means be impossible.

I think being able to place blocks on half blocks to fill in the other half would be cool as a possibility in general, actually.
I don't know if it would be possible to do that with every block, but it might be feasible to allow lenses to be placed on gemspark slopes to create a new block that fires a beam, can be hammered to change the beam's direction, and drops both a lens and a gemspark block when broken.

I don't know if it would be possible to do that with every block, but it might be feasible to allow lenses to be placed on gemspark slopes to create a new block that fires a beam, can be hammered to change the beam's direction, and drops both a lens and a gemspark block when broken.
This is quite doable, and not that difficult to implement. I have a working example of this on a dev branch of a mod I'm developing. The steps I follow are:
  • Determine which adjacent block the lens is attached to: above, below, left, right. Let's use the tile below for this example
  • Determine which state the tile below is in: Tile tileBelow = Main.tile[lensPosX, lensPosY + 1];
    • if (tileBelow.halfBrick()) - half tile
    • if (tileBelow.slope() > 0) - sloped tile
  • Adjust the draw position of the lens and rotate the sprite to match the tile below
  • Adjust the start position of the beam
That should work for all vanilla tiles that are hammerable, as well as any hammerable mod tiles that also follow this convention.

This is quite doable, and not that difficult to implement. I have a working example of this on a dev branch of a mod I'm developing. The steps I follow are:
  • Determine which adjacent block the lens is attached to: above, below, left, right. Let's use the tile below for this example
  • Determine which state the tile below is in: Tile tileBelow = Main.tile[lensPosX, lensPosY + 1];
    • if (tileBelow.halfBrick()) - half tile
    • if (tileBelow.slope() > 0) - sloped tile
  • Adjust the draw position of the lens and rotate the sprite to match the tile below
  • Adjust the start position of the beam
That should work for all vanilla tiles that are hammerable, as well as any hammerable mod tiles that also follow this convention.
Have you thought about making that it's own separate suggestion on the forums? It'd probably be very well received.

Maximum support for this, mostly for the reasons that this would actually allow you to build logic gates for more complex wiring. My main gripe with wiring always was that it is a pulse based system, over a state based system like yours, meaning you can not use binary logic. I think any further explaination would be easier done with a few images and examples.

27048538bf.png

Here we have an AND gate. It basically only triggers the green wire when both the red and blue laser are on. So what uses are for this? Say, if you want to have your traps turn on automatically, when both drawbridges are up. Or... this door only opens when the player has completed this challenge, pressed the switch at its end and went the hard way out over the parkour, only then the treasure room opens. Puzzles.

Atm a bit lazy to make other logic gates but you get the gist, theres serveral gates: AND (both have to be on) XAND (Neither has to be on) OR (One or the other has to be on, but not both) XOR (One has to be off, but not both) etc...
If you're crazy enough, this would essentially make it possible to build a working computer ingame too.

Black light... kindof... weird..
Its actually a thing, basically its invisible but makes certain materials and colored surfaces glow as if they'd neon. As example, if you were happen to wear a dark colored tshirt with a white print, you'd not see the tshirt but its print would "glow" brighly. Its pretty cool, check out black light teaters or discos.
Black light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maximum support for this, mostly for the reasons that this would actually allow you to build logic gates for more complex wiring. My main gripe with wiring always was that it is a pulse based system, over a state based system like yours, meaning you can not use binary logic. I think any further explaination would be easier done with a few images and examples.

27048538bf.png

Here we have an AND gate. It basically only triggers the green wire when both the red and blue laser are on. So what uses are for this? Say, if you want to have your traps turn on automatically, when both drawbridges are up. Or... this door only opens when the player has completed this challenge, pressed the switch at its end and went the hard way out over the parkour, only then the treasure room opens. Puzzles.

Atm a bit lazy to make other logic gates but you get the gist, theres serveral gates: AND (both have to be on) XAND (Neither has to be on) OR (One or the other has to be on, but not both) XOR (One has to be off, but not both) etc...
If you're crazy enough, this would essentially make it possible to build a working computer ingame too.

I actually made a diagram of the three most basic logic gates earlier using fluorescent beams, though mine was based around the idea that one beam would turn off any gemspark block that it hits:

I actually made a diagram of the three most basic logic gates earlier using fluorescent beams, though mine was based around the idea that one beam would turn off any gemspark block that it hits:
Yeah, i only read halfway trough the thread before i posted, my bad. Yours looks much cleaner and straightforward to use (using the acutator blocks is a bit of a hack haaha) but i think it'd be better when theres a different block that causes this behaviour, simply because sometimes you'd not want the lasers to turn off the gemspark it hits i think.

Something akin to minecrafts redstone torches maybe?

Yeah, i only read halfway trough the thread before i posted, my bad. Yours looks much cleaner and straightforward to use (using the acutator blocks is a bit of a hack haaha) but i think it'd be better when theres a different block that causes this behaviour, simply because sometimes you'd not want the lasers to turn off the gemspark it hits i think.
Yeah, just what I was thinking. Humm..

...What if Black Lenses did that instead? The turning gemsparks off.

Yeah, just what I was thinking. Humm..

...What if Black Lenses did that instead? The turning gemsparks off.
I think black lenses might be too rare to be used for something like that. I was thinking that if someone had that problem, they could block the beam with another lense going in the opposite direction, but it might be better to have something else deactivate it... I just can't think of anything though.

Back
Top Bottom