Blocks & Decoration [Sprites] Gardening Improvements

caskett

Official Terrarian
NOTE: This was added in the 1.3 update! Regardless of whether the developers saw this or not, I am going to leave this thread up because why not.

I have noticed that there is a lack of decorative items that can be used in a garden, such as the Clay Pot. Currently, the only real reason to start a garden is to stock up on useful resources. I would like to see more items which would not only be used for farming purposes, but could also be used to liven up a base.

PLANTERS

wooden-planter-minisoniczx-png.113083

Wooden Planter
Can be placed
Grows plants
Recipe
Wood.png
Wood (10)
=====
Crafted at Sawmill

wooden-planter-with-dayblooms-png.113085

The Wooden Planter can grow up to three plants, and they can all be different. Just like the Clay Pot, if you do not plant seeds in the Wooden Planter, basic flowers will grow. You can have a combination of planted seeds and flowers.

hanging-planter-minisoniczx-png.113088

Hanging Planter
Can be placed
Grows plants
Recipe
Clay_Block.png
Clay (12)
Chain.png
Chain (1)
=====
Crafted at Furnace

hanging-planter-with-daybloom-minisoniczx-png.113089

The Hanging Planter can grow only 1 plant. Even though it is two blocks wide, two plants wouldn't fit properly in it. The Hanging Planter hangs from ceilings in the same way as chandeliers, lanterns, etc. And obviously, if you do not plant seeds in the Hanging Planter, basic flowers will grow.

FLOWERS

Additionally, there is a lack of plants that can be planted in Clay Pots. And as Balduran previously suggested, it would be nice to have some sort of 'vanity' flower system.

flower-seeds-png.113809

Flower Seeds
Can be placed
=====
Sold by the Dryad - Buy 50
Copper_Coin.png
/ Sell 10
Copper_Coin.png

When Flower Seeds are placed in Clay Pots, Planters, or grass one of the following flowers will grow at random.

rose-jestex-png.113811
Rose
daisy-jestex-png.113814
Daisy
tulip-jestex-png.113817
Tulip

wooden-planter-with-vanity-flowers-png.113798
hanging-planter-with-rose-png.113800
hanging-planter-with-daisy-png.113803
hanging-planter-with-tulip-png.113806
vanity-flowers-jestex-png.113827

If you use a pickaxe and left-click a flower it will be destroyed but will not drop anything, similar to Small Tents, Rusty Minecarts, and other background objects.

----------

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Spriting Credit:
Minisoniczx - For the Wooden Planter and the Hanging Planter.
Jestex - For the Rose, Daisy, and Tulip.

We also have banners!

Gardening Improvements Banner - zimberzimber.jpg

By zimberzimber
Code:
[URL=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/sprites-gardening-improvements.600/][IMG]http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/gardening-improvements-banner-zimberzimber-jpg.118768/[/IMG][/URL]

Gardening Improvements Banner (Support)  - darthmorf.png

By darthmorf
Code:
[URL=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/sprites-gardening-improvements.600/][IMG]http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/gardening-improvements-support-png.2237/[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
Heh... I was 'just about' to come in and make a thread about 'Gardening Improvements'. ^.^ Good to see I'm not alone in this line of thinking.

Specifically, I was coming to talk about Planters. And that system could (Maybe? I don't know what code limitations might prevent this) tie into the 'Blended Tiles' system. For Example, we could have pots from a variety of materials, and then 'Planter' tiles (Also from a variety of materials, but even just with Clay it woulld be awesome), which when placed as a single tile are squarish pots, but when placed beside each other, become bigger and bigger planters (So that we can stretch them out as long as we like). This could be used with all the 'Planter' types (Both the ground, and the hanging type). To craft both pots and planters, we could have a 'Garden Shed' (That if it was even possible, would work as a Container & Crafting Station... but again, I don't know what kind of Code Limitations there may be for that), which also gives us another 'Garden Furniture' item. ^.^

(I'd Totally Sprite all that... if I had 'Any' talent in that arena... >.>)

Oh, I think I remember seeing this suggestion. Additional flowers and planters would be nice for players going for a more natural look. This suggestion has my interest and support.

I would probably use this, if it were in the game. True, it doesn't add much, but I don't see it as taking much away, either. Besides which, the wooden planter gives another option for making an herb garden with different resources, if for whatever reason you don't want or can't use clay. The planters offer more spots to grow plants too, which might make gardens more compact.

The only thing I'd really like to see is maybe planters for the different wood types.

I would probably use this, if it were in the game. True, it doesn't add much, but I don't see it as taking much away, either. Besides which, the wooden planter gives another option for making an herb garden with different resources, if for whatever reason you don't want or can't use clay. The planters offer more spots to grow plants too, which might make gardens more compact.

The only thing I'd really like to see is maybe planters for the different wood types.
If I could sprite at all I already would have done different wood planters. I might request some from spriters one of these days. :p

There is a lack of flora in terraria by natural generation, would be nice to be able to add flora to my own builds to fill the void. You have my support.

this is already added in one point three as seen in the teaser cenx gave us there was a deathweed planter box and a shiverthorn planter box

Back
Top Bottom