Is this a good idea?

• Maybe with more work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trollface420

Eye of Cthulhu
I have thought up of an NPC that will come after all mechanical bosses are defeated. The purpose of this NPC is to sell unstable prototype weapons and other various items. It will defend itself with an energy sword (more on that later). I have not come up with possible names for this NPC yet. It will say things like: "I've finally found a way to use this weapon." and "If you happen to buy one of my items, follow the instructions!" and "Would you like to test this device I've made?" There will be more phrases like those because this thread is a work in progress.

The Mad Scientist will require you to do specific things like kill enemies and give him certain items in order for him to sell his items. The assignments will come at random and each unique assignment will correspond to a certain weapon/item. When you do the same assignment twice you will simply be awarded the value of the weapon that corresponds to the weapon you unlock. He might also award healing potions, mana potions or ores/bars. Now here's the real part of this thread:

Mad Scientist
Mad scientist.png
(sorry if the sprite is bad. I'm not very good at making sprites.)
Hitpoints: 250
Damage: 63
Defence: 15
KB resistance: 70%
25% chance of dropping energy sword

Energy sword
Energy sword.png
(sorry if the sprite is bad. I'm not very good at making sprites. This will appear next to almost every sprite in this thread)
Damage: 63
Critical chance: 4%
Speed: 34 (slow speed)
Knockback: 6.5 (strong knockback)
Cannot auto-swing
Sell price: 1 gold coin
Rarity: Pink
25% chance of being dropped by Mad Scientist

Laser beam projector
Laser beam projector.png
(read what I said about my previous sprites)
Damage: 23
Critical chance: 9%
Speed: 15 (very fast speed)
Knockback: 2 (very weak knockback)
Can auto-fire
Sell price: 2 gold coins
Uses 6 mana
Pierces through enemies
Rarity: Light red
Bought from the Mad scientist for 10 gold coins after you have killed 60 gastropods.
This weapon shoots a constant red beam 3 pixels wide that pierces through all enemies and deals damage 4 times a second. This makes it particularly effective versus grouped enemies or segmented enemies eg. wyvern. (If you didn't know this the formula for shots per second or hits per second is
60 )
use time)
Fragmentation gun
Fragmentation gun.png
(sorry if the sprite is bad. I'm not very good at making sprites)
Damage: 24
Speed: 32 (slow speed)
Knockback: 5 (average knockback for initial projectile), 2 (very weak knockback for small bullets)
Cannot auto-fire
Sell price: 1 gold coin and 40 silver coins
Bought from the Mad scientist for 7 gold coins after you have given 12 titanium bars/adamantite bars to the Mad Scientist.
This weapon shoots a large bullet that can split into 5 smaller bullets in mid-air by clicking within 0.5 seconds of firing the original projectile. If you don't make the bullet split, the bullet will hit whatever object as normal, without splitting. Although this behaves very similarly to crystal bullets the crystal bullet splits into smaller shards when it hits objects whereas the fragmentation bullet doesn't split into smaller bullets upon impact with an object.
Uses fragmentation bullets.

Fragmentation bullet
Fragmentation bullet.png
Damage: 7 + (7x5)
Knockback: 2 (very weak knockback)
Sell price: 15 copper coins
Can be bought from the Arms dealer for 75 copper coins or crafted using 50 Musket balls and 1 Tungsten bar to create 40 Fragmentation bullets.

Terodactyl fossil (sorry, there isn't a sprite for this at the moment)
Summons a terodactyl to fight for you
Damage: 31
Speed: 22 (fast speed)
Knockback: 4 (weak knockback)
Cannot auto-fire
Uses 8 mana
Sell price: 2 gold coins
Bought from the Mad scientist for 10 gold coins after you have killed 5 wyverns and 40 derplings.
The summoned terodactyl can fly.

Chainsword
Chainsword.png
Damage: 30
Speed: 16 (very fast speed)
Knockback: 3.5 (weak knockback)
Can auto-fire
Sell price: 3 gold coins
Bought from the Mad scientist for 15 gold coins after you have given 8 hallowed bars, 2 chains and 20 cogs to the Mad Scientist.
This sword behaves in a very peculiar way. You hold the attack button and wait for enemies to touch it. It deals damage on impact.

Plasma bomb launcher
Plasma bomb launcher.png
Damage: 65
Speed: 47 (extremely slow speed)
Knockback: 7.5 (very strong knockback)
Can auto-fire
Uses 18 mana
Sell price: 6 gold coins
Bought from the mad scientist for 30 gold coins after you have given 8 orchralium bars and killed Skeletron Prime twice.
This magic weapon builds up the plasma ball before shooting it. It damages enemies within an 8x8 tile diameter, not damaging any blocks. The projectiles move slowly.

Rapid rifle
Rapid rifle.png
Damage: 17
Critical chance: 7%
Speed: 5 (insanely fast speed)
Knockback: 2.5 (very weak knockback)
Can auto-fire
Sell price: 3 gold coins
Bought from the mad scientist for 15 gold coins after you have killed 120 possessed armours and the Twins once.
This ranged weapon shoots rapidly, ideal for boss fights. Its shots don't pierce enemies.

Survival potion (there isn't a sprite for this at the moment)
Consumable
Increases maximum health by 15% and defence by 7.
Sell price: 1 silver coin
Rarity: Blue
Bought from the Mad scientist for 5 silver coins after you have given 2 dayblooms, 1 iron ore and 3 waterleafs or crafted from 1 Life force potion and 1 Iron skin potion at an alchemy table or cooking pot.
Lasts for 4 minutes

Flask of acid (there isn't a sprite for this at the moment)
Damage: 38
Speed: 34 (slow speed)
Knockback: 4 (weak knockback)
Cannot auto-fire
Sell price: 2 silver coins
Rarity: Orange
Can be bought from the Mad scientist for 10 silver coins after you have killed either 140 clingers or 140 ichor stickers.
This is thrown at the enemy. Because I don't want to add another damage debuff it will inflict the cursed inferno debuff.

Strength potion (there isn't a sprite for this at the moment)
Consumable
Increases melee damage by 15%, knockback by 20% and throwing distance by 20%
Sell price: 1 silver coin and 80 copper coins
Rarity: Green
Bought from the Mad scientist for 9 silver coins after you have given 3 deathweeds, 2 dayblooms, 4 blikroots, 2 moonglows, 4 vertabrae and 1 prismite.
Lasts for 4 minutes

Weapon perfecting station (sorry, no sprite at the moment)
Can be placed
Removes negative effects on weapons (e.g. shoddy, tiny, awful, unhappy, weak etc).
Sell price: 4 gold coins
Bought from the Mad scientist for 20 gold coins after you have killed 20 pixies, 40 possessed armours, 5 rainbow slimes, 20 ice elementals, 30 chaos elementals, 5 red devils and Skeletron Prime once.

Last edited:
These weapons look pretty good, and there are decent ideas here. However, I think a quest system would work brilliant for the scientist, as opposed to him just selling weaponry. Perhaps collecting items for research could give you ore, bars, gold or the items you have suggested (e.g scientist needs souls of light and deathweed. You give them to him and in return recieve bounty). I can also offer resprites if you're unsure of your spriting ability (personally I think you've made quite a good effort especially on the plasma launcher).

These weapons look pretty good, and there are decent ideas here. However, I think a quest system would work brilliant for the scientist, as opposed to him just selling weaponry. Perhaps collecting items for research could give you ore, bars, gold or the items you have suggested (e.g scientist needs souls of light and deathweed. You give them to him and in return recieve bounty). I can also offer resprites if you're unsure of your spriting ability (personally I think you've made quite a good effort especially on the plasma launcher).
I've done a system where the Mad scientist gives you an assignment and when you do the assignment an item is unlocked to buy. When the same assignment is completed again it will award half the value of the item you unlock from the quest (eg if you unlock an item worth 15 gold coins you will be awarded 7 gold coins and 50 silver coins).

Back
Top Bottom