NPCs & Enemies [Sprites] Mechanical Cultists. Trust me.

J-50N

Terrarian
The title got you here, didn't it? I figured. The idea here is that the Mechanical Bosses just seem to appear, with no backstory or real apparent reason for existing. Terraria has not official lore, but most thing have a certain internal logic. Or a certain internal Relogic, if you prefer. Regardless, the Mechanical Bosses made sort of sense back in 1.1 when they were the endgame, and it was just them. Then we got Plantera and the Golem, and the Lunatic Cultist and the crazy endgame events, all of which are tied together or seem to have some backstory behind them. The Mechs don't really fit in. Maybe this will help.
Mech Cultist Divider.png
Mechanical Cultists spawn after their respective Mech is destroyed. They spawn in the Underground and Caverns at about the same rarity as Tim. They spawn standing still, similarly to the Lost Girl, and remove their hood before beginning to attack you when provoked. They all have 2500 Health and deal fairly significant damage, though their attack patterns vary. The Follower of the Brain would spawn after all three native Mechs have been destroyed on a Corruption world, and the Worshipper of the Worm would do the same on Crimson worlds. All drops are guaranteed.

Note: As there is no canon Mechanical BoC, I have based my ideas off of @Zoomo 's suggestion for The Motherboard. The name of the Soul differs from his proposal. Because I'm a rebel.

Acolyte of the Eyes.png
Prototype.png
First we have the Acolyte of the Eyes, who attacks by constantly summoning Mechanical Eyes to attack you and teleports like a caster enemy. The Mechanical Eyes are comparable to Servants of Cthulhu in AI and relative strength. Drops: 1 Gold, Mechanical Eye, 3-7 Hallowed Bars, 5-10 Souls of Sight, Black Lens (1/4, @5raptorboy 's suggestion), Twins Blueprint, Trajectoreye, Hood of the Eyes, Mechanical Cultist Robes
Devote of the Skull.png
Spiked Skull.png
Next we have the Devotee of the Skull. He attacks by throwing bouncing metal skulls at you and running/teleporting around like a Chaos Elemental. Drops: 1 Gold, Mechanical Skull, 3-7 Hallowed Bars, 5-10 Souls of Fright, Skeletron Prime Blueprint, Steel Skull, Hood of the Skull, Mechanical Cultist Robes
Worshipper of the Worm.png
Next to last, the Worshipper of the Worm attacks by burrowing through blocks towards you like a worm enemy. He should have the highest defense to compensate for this strategy. Drops: 1 Gold, Mechanical Worm, 3-7 Hallowed Bars, 5-10 Souls of Might, Destroyer Blueprint, Mechanical Worm Staff, Hood of the Worm, Mechanical Cultist Robes
Follower of the Brain.png
Mini Signal Drone.png
And finally, the Follower of the Brain, who floats in the air like the Lunatic Cultist, summons Signal Drones and bounces a hitscan laser beam around them. Drops: 1 Gold, Mechanical Brain, 3-7 Hallowed Bars, 5-10 Souls of Insight, Motherboard Blueprint, Command Amplifier, Hood of the Brain, Mechanical Cultist Robes
Mech Cultist Divider.png
Now for some loot:
Trajectoreye.png

The Trajectoreye is an Accessory which shows the path of the currently selected weapon's projectiles as a dotted red line for ranged/magic weapons and as a arc-shaped red gradient for melee. Useful for knowing exactly what homing or splitting projectiles will do. Probably difficult to code.
Steel Skull.png

The Steel Skull is another Accessory. It give a +20% increase to defense, useful for endgame builds. Credit for the idea of a %-based defense increase goes to @Battle Bee .
Mechanical Worm Staff.png
Mechanical Worm Connected.png

The Mechanical Worm Staff summons a Mechanical Worm minion which acts similarly to the Stardust Dragon, but deals less damage and has higher knockback (This is actually a nerf because enemies would be knocked out of the way of the damage). Ideally, it would prefer to stay in blocks and lunge out of them to attack. It can also fly using small Cursed Flame boosters.
Command Amplifier.png

The Command Amplifier is also an Accessory. It gives +5% Minion Damage and causes the Alt button to make all minions attack at the cursor's position.
Bionic Head Implants.png

The Bionic Head Implants are the last Accessory. They are made with the Trajectoreye, Steel Skull and Command Amplifier. The effects are combined normally, except that the Steel Skull's percentage increase is reduced to 17%. The higher percentage would be applied first, if both this and the Steel Skull are worn simultaneously.

Twins Blueprint.png
Skeletron Prime Blueprints.png
Destroyer Blueprint.png
Motherboard Blueprint.png

Blueprints act exactly like paintings. They look cool.
Twins Blueprint - 'They can't kill what they can't see. Problem is, they see everything.'
Skeletron Prime Blueprint - 'Fore-warned is four-armed.'
Destroyer Blueprint - 'It is inevitable, but not invincible.'
Motherboard Blueprint - 'So that's how it works.'

Mech Cultist Hoods.png
Mech Cultist Robes.png
Amorphmechanical Hood.gif

The different hoods and the robes are vanity items. The eyes glow in the dark. The hood can also be crafted by hand into the Amorphmechanical Hood, which slowly cycles through several different appearances.

Finally, here are what the different accessories look like when worn.
Trajectoreye On Player.png
Steel Skull On Player.png
Command Amplifier On Player.png
Bionic Head Implants On Player.png

Mech Cultist Divider.png
So how'd I do? Anything need rebalancing? Do the sprites need work? How is the idea itself? Tell me.

1.1.1 - Gave the Acolyte of the Eyes a 1/4 chance to drop a Black Lens as suggested by @5raptorboy .
1.1 - 08/23/15 - Added the Mechanical Cultist Hoods, Robes and the Amorphmechanical Hood.
1.0.6 - 08/22/15 about 30 seconds later - Changed BHI defense increase to 17%.
1.0.5 - 08/22/15 - Changed Steel Skull bonus from flat +4 Defense to +20% increased Defense. BHI gives only a +15% increase to Defense. Original idea thanks to @Battle Bee .
1.0 - 08/21/15 - Added the everything.

Last edited:
As I said, this is a very interested idea, but I would just like for terraria to steer away from mechanizing bosses. The only thing here I would want to see are the blueprint paintings, as I think that would be an awesome concept to add.

As I said, this is a very interested idea, but I would just like for terraria to steer away from mechanizing bosses. The only thing here I would want to see are the blueprint paintings, as I think that would be an awesome concept to add.

Isn't the point of this to explain why the bosses are mechanized in the first place? or do you have a better idea for explaining that plot hole?

The mobs aren't even bosses!

Isn't the point of this to explain why the bosses are mechanized in the first place? or do you have a better idea for explaining that plot hole?

The mobs aren't even bosses!
What is the point of even making the cultists mechanized, what purpose do they serve. You say this explains why the bosses were mechanized? That is a bunch of bologna. Why do these cultists spawn after their respective boss has been killed. How does that explain anything at all. It would just add to confusion. Next time you respond like that, you better have a response that actually is an argument that makes sense.

What is the point of even making the cultists mechanized, what purpose do they serve. You say this explains why the bosses were mechanized? That is a bunch of bologna. Why do these cultists spawn after their respective boss has been killed. How does that explain anything at all. It would just add to confusion. Next time you respond like that, you better have a response that actually is an argument that makes sense.

Hey, the explanation thing was implied in the OP. Ask him if you want to know why they are what they are now.

The title got you here, didn't it? I figured. The idea here is that the Mechanical Bosses just seem to appear, with no backstory or real apparent reason for existing. Terraria has not official lore, but most thing have a certain internal logic. Or a certain internal Relogic, if you prefer. Regardless, the Mechanical Bosses made sort of sense back in 1.1 when they were the endgame, and it was just them. Then we got Plantera and the Golem, and the Lunatic Cultist and the crazy endgame events, all of which are tied together or seem to have some backstory behind them. The Mechs don't really fit in. Maybe this will help.

Hey, the explanation thing was implied in the OP. Ask him if you want to know why they are what they are now.
Thing is, that explained absolutely nothing to us, other than he wants to add another mob to make something that was already confusing, even more confusing. Nice try though.

@Treesmasher, lay off a bit please. No need to get so up in arms about this sort of thing.

The blueprint sprites are friggin awesome.

But there is a problem with a worm enemy not having a worm body. Also, getting access to a slightly worse stardust dragon before plantera would disrupt some balance.

What if you added some more enemies and made this a mechanical invasion instead? Having them randomly spawn in the world with these stats could get annoying.

Not sure if I trust you..... Mech Worm Dude would look pretty derpy digging around like a Creature of the Deep through ground.
That is somewhat true. Maybe if just his head jumped off and started chasing you while his robes collapsed?
The blueprint sprites are friggin awesome.
But there is a problem with a worm enemy not having a worm body. Also, getting access to a slightly worse stardust dragon before plantera would disrupt some balance.
What if you added some more enemies and made this a mechanical invasion instead? Having them randomly spawn in the world with these stats could get annoying.
I don't think the worm enemy would actually be a problem. It should be possible to just make him a single segment worm AI, although I know virtually nothing about coding. The mechanical invasion kind of goes back to what Treesmasher said. It would make the situation a LOT more confusing and would be kind of redundant. Mechanical XYZ gets repetitive and there is already an early HM invasion (The Pirates) and a late HM invasion (The Martians).

I'm very opposed to the concept of mech recycling and don't think these can be implemented in a smooth way, but I really love the thought and effort put in.

I'm one of those people that loves additions to games that gives a bit of lore on how something got there, and this is one of those nice little nods that gives a bit more insight, but doesn't explicitly tell you how the Mechanical Bosses got there. Plus, the drops are nicely balanced items. I support.

Like a lot of people here, I'm not sure about more mech stuff. But man, you have some very good stuff here. I love the drops, even though the skull is just a plain defence accessory. As always, amazing sprites (but the blueprints should be a bit brighter, more blue, IMO).

I'm very opposed to the concept of mech recycling and don't think these can be implemented in a smooth way, but I really love the thought and effort put in.
I assure you I feel mostly the same. I was always opposed to any new mechanical bosses, besides a mechanical BoC. I didn't support Zoomo's Peacekeeper, even though it was well thought out and brilliantly sprited. These guys are meant to give context to the Mechanical bosses existing.
Like a lot of people here, I'm not sure about more mech stuff. But man, you have some very good stuff here. I love the drops, even though the skull is just a plain defence accessory. As always, amazing sprites (but the blueprints should be a bit brighter, more blue, IMO).
If you have suggestions or ideas for the Skull, fire away. It is kind of bland. My original design for the Blueprints was really old, and based off of a palette on a sprite by Wooren. It looked horrible. Since then I've learned stuff, and I decided to use a darker shade. If you want to try recoloring them, go ahead, but I don't plan on doing anything to them.
I love this suggestion!
But the Metal Skull is a bit... bad. The Flesh Knuckles grant 7 defense and are easier to obtain.
I'm always open to ideas, and I have none for that particular one, so go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom