Blocks & Decoration [Sprites]Metal Grate (opposite of the bubble block)

What of these do you like?

• The idea of a bubble opposite.

• The sprites for the placed metal grate.

• The sprites for the doors/trap doors.

• The sprites for the inventory icons of the suggested icons.

• The idea of having bubble blocks being able to be actuated.

• None of the above. (please explain why)

Results are only viewable after voting.

shobiwan77

King Slime
Currently, there is a block type item called the bubble. Bubbles act as block for liquids but don't stop players, letting players pass through but not liquids. When I saw the bubbles added I wondered why there wasn't any opposite to this, something that lets liquids through but is solid to players. Well, this is my suggestion for an opposite to the bubble.

Metal Grate
rNB0OdQ.png

• Type: Block-Material
  • Crafting recipe:
    Iron_Bar.png
    Iron Bar(1)/
    Lead_Bar.png
    Lead Bar(1) =
    rNB0OdQ.png
    Metal Grate(4)
  • Crafting station:
    Iron_Anvil.png
    Iron Anvil/
    Lead_Anvil.png
    Lead Anvil
  • Notes: The metal grate allows liquids to pass through it but stops players. Like every other block, when actuated will allow players to pass through as well.
The second note in the metal grate reminds me of another thing that I believe should be implemented in the game. I think that the bubble should have the ability to actuate, allowing liquids to pass through it.

Here are a few examples of how the metal grate would look when placed. I've given a couple different examples to try to display every situation for the blocks so you can really get a good idea of how it would look in-game.

Building1.gif
bwehdaE.jpg
Building2.gif
Nx66Ryu.jpg
Building3.gif
U9SY9Vm.jpg
Building4.gif
jAESZdF.jpg

The metal grate is then able to be used to craft two other additional items.

Grated Door
zAJ0LI0.png

• Type: Furniture-Mechanism
  • Crafting recipe:
    rNB0OdQ.png
    Metal Grate(16) =
    zAJ0LI0.png
    Grated Door(1)
  • Crafting station:
    Iron_Anvil.png
    Iron Anvil/
    Lead_Anvil.png
    Lead Anvil
  • Notes: The grated door functions identically to every other door, but allows water to pass through it well it is both opened and closed.
Grated Trap Door
D5Y1iiW.png

• Type: Furniture-Mechanism
    • Crafting recipe:
      rNB0OdQ.png
      Metal Grate(16) =
      D5Y1iiW.png
      Grated Trap Door(1)
    • Crafting station:
      Work_Bench.png
      Work Bench
    • Notes: The grated door functions identically to the normal trap door, but allows water to pass through it well it is both opened and closed.
Here are pictures of the grated door and grated trap door being used:
vwV6qRs.gif
mzgRGEG.gif

The usual if anybody has anything to ask, criticize, or comment on please do.

Last edited:
When I first saw the title, I immediately thought of the bubblegum block. http://terraria.wiki.gg/Bubblegum_Block It doesn't really have an alternative for worlds with mythril, and I thought that was what you were going to suggest. Nevertheless, This seems like a good idea and a cool looking block ascetically. I also think it would be cool to add wooden grates too

100% support

Like many suggestions, why not? +1 support!

When I first saw the title, I immediately thought of the bubblegum block. http://terraria.wiki.gg/Bubblegum_Block It doesn't really have an alternative for worlds with mythril, and I thought that was what you were going to suggest. Nevertheless, This seems like a good idea and a cool looking block ascetically. I also think it would be cool to add wooden grates too

This is a pretty awesome suggestion. It's also cool that you decided to add in a sprite sheet and show it off.

Thanks everybody, when I first put this up I got next to no feedback. Now over the course of a day I've gotten another four replies after nothing for over a month and a half. Thanks for the support.

Another great idea! Bubble Blocks are strange, they somehow block liquids but not anything else, while Metal Grate is more realistic, allowing liquids but not any solids.

Another great idea! Bubble Blocks are strange, they somehow block liquids but not anything else, while Metal Grate is more realistic, allowing liquids but not any solids.
Thanks! To me the metal grate seems like it would've been thought of first for this reason, but the bubble block is more useful, and currently you could just place blocks on every other tile to have the same effect.

Last edited:
I have been wondering the same thing. Why is there not something opposite of the bubble blocks? I have been working out ideas for puzzles that I could use in a custom map and this would be perfect for some of my water based puzzles because I need the player and mobs not to pass by some areas where I need water to pass by. For now I just have 1x1 gaps which are too small for the player and most mobs to get through but small mobs can sometimes glitch through. This needs to be added into the next update. `:)

I have been wondering the same thing. Why is there not something opposite of the bubble blocks? I have been working out ideas for puzzles that I could use in a custom map and this would be perfect for some of my water based puzzles because I need the player and mobs not to pass by some areas where I need water to pass by. For now I just have 1x1 gaps which are too small for the player and most mobs to get through but small mobs can sometimes glitch through. This needs to be added into the next update. `:)
Yeah, plus one block gaps are just plain ugly. Thanks for the support.

Copper/Tin should be used to craft Metal Grates, both because copper grating exist IRL, and because both metals need more uses; while iron/lead is already used for a lot of items.

Copper/Tin should be used to craft Metal Grates, both because copper grating exist IRL, and because both metals need more uses; while iron/lead is already used for a lot of items.
Yeah, it doesn't matter too much. I picked iron/lead because it matched the color scheme better and iron/lead doesn't have a block currently.

Back
Top Bottom