Game Mechanics (Sprites) Reforge Overhaul

Was this a good suggestion?

• Yes

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No, the goblin tinkerer needs fixing, but not like this.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No, the goblin tinkerer is fine as he is.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

nealpd

Skeletron Prime
The goblins tinkerer’s reforge feature is an incredibly necessary money sink. Spending 19 Platinum only to end up with a “Hurtful” Last Prism, I knew something was wrong. The most punishing part about the reforge feature is that there’s no way of helping your chances, it’s purely RNGesus deciding that you’re going to spend 47 platinum today.

Millstones
Millstones are consumable items that help the goblin tinkerer reforge items. They’re used if you reforge an item with a millstone in your inventory. The best millstone will always be used.

Low-quality Millstone
LowQualityMillstone.png

“Slightly improves the Goblin Tinkerer’s reforging abilities”

Cuts price of reforging by 15%

Slightly improves the chances of a good (Godly, Superior, etc.) prefix, and slightly reduces the chance of a negative (Annoying, Lazy, etc.) prefix.

Crafted:

2 Silver or Tungsten Bars

At a Tinkers Workshop

Pressurized Millstone
Pressurized Millstone.png

“Improves the Goblin Tinkerer’s reforging abilities”

Cuts the Price of reforging by 30%

Improves the chances of a good prefix, slightly decreases the chances of mediocre (Hurtful, Forceful, etc.) prefixes, and negates negative prefixes.

Sold by the Steampunker for 30 Silver each.

Lihzahrd Millstone
Lihzahrd Millstone.png

Cuts the Price of reforging by 45%

Highly improves the chances of an amazing (Mythical, Unreal, Godly (Boomerang, Flails, and Yoyos) etc.) prefix, decreases the chances of mediocre prefixes, and negates negative prefixes.

Found in Lihzahrd Chests, and dropped by all Lihzahrd enemies at a 1/12 rate.

Luminite Millstone
Luminite Millstone.png

Guarantees an amazing prefix.

Crafted:

Luminite_Bar.png
2 Luminite Bars

At an Ancient Manipulator

Goblin Momento
Goblin Momento.png

“Can be traded for a free reforge”

Cuts the Price of reforging by 100%

Dropped from any enemy during the goblin invasion at a 1/100 chance.

Also, there could be a short 1-2 second cooldown after reforging an item so that players don’t accidentally skip over a prefix they may have wanted.

Also, when hovering over an item while it's in the reforge slot it should tell you what is the best prefix for that item, to prevent people from spending 14 platinum trying to get a mythical Last Prism, only to realize later that that is impossible.

Please tell me if this is poorly done/over/underpowered down below.​

Last edited:
Of all the ideas of seen here, I think this is one of the most needed ones. By "amazing reforge" do you mean one that's green? Support! :D

Full support. Always hated to go to that greedy goblin with my godly Phantasm and end up whith the godly Phantasm and no money ._.
Just keeping it alive.

Full support. Always hated to go to that greedy goblin with my godly Phantasm and end up whith the godly Phantasm and no money ._.
Just keeping it alive.
Thanks! Reminds me of the time I had a Zealous Tsunami and 3 Platinum, ended up with a damaged Tsunami and no platinum.

Good idea, though there are some balancing issues and things that could be changed.
  • Lihzahrd millstones should be crafted with solar tablet fragments
  • Luminite millstones should cost 4 luminite bars
  • Goblin momentos should grant 5-10 or so free reforges

Good idea, though there are some balancing issues and things that could be changed.
  • Lihzahrd millstones should be crafted with solar tablet fragments
  • Luminite millstones should cost 4 luminite bars
  • Goblin momentos should grant 5-10 or so free reforges
No, it's intended to be dropped or found.

No, that would be a huge pain and I'm sure people hate farming the Moon Lord enough already.

No, it's supposed to be a fun little thing that you might happen to find during a goblin invasion, and that's almost impossible to do in-game without being very hacky about it.

No, it's intended to be dropped or found.

No, that would be a huge pain and I'm sure people hate farming the Moon Lord enough already.

No, it's supposed to be a fun little thing that you might happen to find during a goblin invasion, and that's almost impossible to do in-game without being very hacky about it.

Wait whats your point with the goblin momento?

Wait whats your point with the goblin momento?
To my knowledge, items in Terraria cannot store data like that without a crap-load of variables and other things that likely won't work. That why you can't have something like a potion that can be consumed multiple times. The item would have to be consumed, or not. I think infinite free reforges would be quite overpowered, so thus it's consumed on use.

Goblin momentos should grant 5-10 or so free reforges
That would be incredibly broken, as that would basically mean you could just farm the Goblins and get a :red: ton of free reforges. Rarity does not equal power.

I really like this idea, as it would help ease the grind lategame has by a lot.

That would be incredibly broken, as that would basically mean you could just farm the Goblins and get a :red: ton of free reforges. Rarity does not equal power.

Tell that to the arkhalis. :L

Anyways, there are only 120 something goblins in a single player goblin army. You'd be lucky to get one. Five free reforges probably aren't that overpowered.

This is a decent idea, but I think the scaling effect should either be a quality buff or a price decrease, not both. Having both effects is OK if, for example, all millstones grant a 10% discount and have increasing odds of high quality reforges, or if the reforge quality is the same but the discount increases.

Alternatively, the millstone could guarantee that the next reforge will be a modifier of the same tier or higher, but without a discount. That'd balance it well with the Goblin Memento.

Speaking of which, the Goblin Memento should allow a discount of no more than 50% on a reforge, and be somewhat more rare, perhaps 1/200. It'd be way too easy to farm up free reforges otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom