Blocks & Decoration [Sprites] The Color Wheel: Making dyes less of a hassle

Snickerbobble

The Painter
With the abundance of so many dyes, collecting them all and again and again for the gradient and rainbow combinations is too much of a hassle to be worth it. Wouldn't it be great if we could have easier access to dyes? I've thought of a possible solution to this.. I bring to you the color wheel!

HqITH2N.png

Color Wheel

This is a crafting station that is hung on the wall unlike any other, though can also be placed on the ground. It occupies 2x2 blocks of space. You can walk up to it with a bottle of water and craft any of the basic dyes easy peasy! You right click it to bring up a small menu similar to the dresser and pick which basic dye you want. Obviously to prevent abuse, dyes would have to have no sell value, but items craftable into dyes would still have theirs.

As for crafting the color wheel, you need..
  • 3x
    Rainbow_Dye.png
    Rainbow Dye
  • 1x
    Black_and_White_Dye.png
    Black and White Dye
  • 1x
    Brown_Dye.png
    Brown Dye
  • 8x
    Wood.png
    of any kind of Wood
  • At a Dye Vat
To have enough dye to test out all dye possibilities, you will need
  • 104 each of Red Husks, Green Mushrooms, Teal Mushrooms, Blue Berries, Purple Mucoses, Violet Husks, and Pink Prickly Pears
  • 156 each of Orange Bloodroots, Lime Kelps, Cyan Husks and Sky Blue Flowers
  • 208 of Yellow Marigolds
  • 247 of Black Inks
  • 403 Silver Dyes (costing 2
    Platinum_Coin.png
    Gold_Coin.png
    )
  • 13 Team Dyes
  • 52 Brown Dyes
  • 130 Pink Gel
  • 260 Crystal Shards
Now that's a lot of grinding. With the Color Wheel, you will only need 30 dye items, vs the current 2,275 dyes. You'll need a few chests to store all your dye, but with the Color Wheel, only a single chest-sized space is necessary. New dye could be available through the Color Wheel as well (or through dye crafting) such as Dark Red Dye, Dark Blue Dye, and so on, without needing to expand on its recipe.

The special strange dyes from the Dye Trader will NOT be available from the Color Wheel. You will still need to find strange plants for those. The Color Wheel is meant for the basic dyes only.

The Color Wheel would make dyes more fun to play around with to see what looks good with what combo and with what vanity piece or accessory. It would be a convenience station that would remove the chore of collecting hundreds of the same dye items, which I believe would improve the game.

Thread ported over from TO.

Last edited:
Sounds good, but why make Gray and Dark Gray craft with new dye items? Why not just add a White dye item (assuming one isn't added in 1.3), and then have Gray be White+Black and Dark Gray be Silver+Black or Gray+Black? I say that with the assumption that Silver is gonna be more metallic come 1.3 based on spoilers and that the current Silver will probably be turned into White.

Sounds good, but why make Gray and Dark Gray craft with new dye items? Why not just add a White dye item (assuming one isn't added in 1.3), and then have Gray be White+Black and Dark Gray be Silver+Black or Gray+Black? I say that with the assumption that Silver is gonna be more metallic come 1.3 based on spoilers and that the current Silver will probably be turned into White.
I can change it to that, I was just looking over the dye pages and so far we can't mix colors with others besides for gradients/flames/rainbows/bright dyes. Would be awesome if we could make purple with red and blue.. Silver looks like white to me, but you may be right about that. An actual silver dye would be cool, though it might just end up looking like grayscale. *shrug*

I can change it to that, I was just looking over the dye pages and so far we can't mix colors with others besides for gradients/flames/rainbows/bright dyes. Would be awesome if we could make purple with red and blue.. Silver looks like white to me, but you may be right about that. An actual silver dye would be cool, though it might just end up looking like grayscale. *shrug*
Yeah, I was thinking about this picture from this spoiler. Looks like a new silver to me. :>

Hmm. I can't help but think that collecting only 17 items to have infinite dyes is a bit OP. I do like the idea very much, but it completely nullifies the need for dyes, post initial collection.

May I propose a slightly tweaked function? Instead of going from 1288 to 17, how about after the original 17 you still need to "fill" the device. In this way each dye could be used multiple times-but not infinite! Say, each dye would last about 10 uses. This would decrease the absurd 1k+ needed dyes to a manageable 130 or so; about 7, 10, 13, and 20 of different dyes. There would probably have to be a gui for it so you know how many of each color you have left.

As it stands, I think it's too OP. But if that changes, you'd definitely have my support.

Hmm. I can't help but think that collecting only 17 items to have infinite dyes is a bit OP. I do like the idea very much, but it completely nullifies the need for dyes, post initial collection.

May I propose a slightly tweaked function? Instead of going from 1288 to 17, how about after the original 17 you still need to "fill" the device. In this way each dye could be used multiple times-but not infinite! Say, each dye would last about 10 uses. This would decrease the absurd 1k+ needed dyes to a manageable 130 or so; about 7, 10, 13, and 20 of different dyes. There would probably have to be a gui for it so you know how many of each color you have left.

As it stands, I think it's too OP. But if that changes, you'd definitely have my support.

Have you ever tried to collect a full set of Lime Dye? I have had almost 950 hrs of gameplay and only found about 3 Lime Kelp, which I mostly binned early game as a new player. This is intended to prevent grinding. That said, I guess it could have some parameters, like only accessible after defeating Skeletron (it coincides with the introduction of vanity from the Clothier and the point when players can start to care about vanity more).

Have you ever tried to collect a full set of Lime Dye? I have had almost 950 hrs of gameplay and only found about 3 Lime Kelp, which I mostly binned early game as a new player. This is intended to prevent grinding. That said, I guess it could have some parameters, like only accessible after defeating Skeletron (it coincides with the introduction of vanity from the Clothier and the point when players can start to care about vanity more).
I understand the difficulty of finding dye ingredients. But the problem isn't solved by making one ingredient worth infinite...that just makes a game feature pointless. We could rid your problem by making the wheel start with 1 of each dye, meaning that each color had 10 uses. But as that number depletes you would need to refill it. There, problem solved without making post-wheel collection completely pointless.

I wouldn't call it "overpowered"... as dyes are only for vanity. Making it infinite would be a lot easier to code, I think, and would make the station a lot more useful.

Yeah, lime kelp is insanely rare, I've found more Lost Girls than it. Unlocking it along with Clothier could make sense, but what would be in the recipe to keep it inaccessible until then? I'd rather have it crafted than bought.

I understand the difficulty of finding dye ingredients. But the problem isn't solved by making one ingredient worth infinite...that just makes a game feature pointless. We could rid your problem by making the wheel start with 1 of each dye, meaning that each color had 10 uses. But as that number depletes you would need to refill it. There, problem solved without making post-wheel collection completely pointless.
Dye items would still have a purpose for awhile. As you can only craft the Color Wheel when ALL basic color dyes are collected, you are likely to obtain multiples of the same dye before you find the last dye to complete your collection. You'll have use for these duplicate dye items until you find the final dye, and even then, some dye items can be used as decoration, and can be sold for some easy money, so they'd still retain a use other than what they were intended for.

There are plenty of other items that become "useless" eventually, like copper bars, blow pipe, shurikens, and wooden sword, so I don't feel this should be any different, especially as dyes only effect appearance, so this would be a convenient addition to the game.

With what info we've been given, the Color Wheel would only let you craft the basic color dyes. Dyes like the new Chlorophyte dye would still need to be crafted normally, though its recipe may contain a dye that the Color Wheel provides.

Lime Kelp is pretty easy. Just search in the Underground Frozen biome and look in any water you find. Keep an eye on your minimap, it shows up as a little green pixel in the water . . . it will even pop-up if a new one grows as you pass through the area (even if you can't visibly see it).

Death Sickle with Magma Gloves works wonder for lighting up ponds and walls as well.

Orange Bloodroot is worse. Just saying. (Also, even worse if you don't have a minimap/can't use it, like me.)

Ultimately the whole "search entire worlds to find maybe 10 of a given dye ingredient and none of the ones you actually need" is a terrible idea; I'll generally respect some vanity requiring a bit of work to get, but not dyes, and ESPECIALLY not in that quantity.

I very much support this idea; the amount of work required to get some dye varieties is just bull:red:, and they don't even all require the same amount of work; some require much, much more.

To have enough dye to test out all dye possibilities, you will need
  • 64 each of Red Husks, Green Mushrooms, Teal Mushrooms, Blue Berries, Purple Mucoses, Violet Husks, and Pink Prickly Pears
  • 96 each of Orange Bloodroots, Lime Kelps (96 of THESE!?), Cyan Husks and Sky Blue Flowers
  • 128 each of Yellow Marigolds and Black Inks
  • 200 Silver Dyes (costing 2
    Platinum_Coin.png
    )

It's worth noting this is for 1.2.4.1 (which was when the thread was posted). At the time of writing, it hasn't been updated for 1.3. So it doesn't include brown dye, the new bright silver or black and white dyes, and so on. It also doesn't include the sixth accessory slot or the five new equipment slots, which effectively means for a full set of dyes, you're looking at approximately doubling the required ingredients.

If anything, this makes your suggestion more relevant now.

You could make it require e.g. 4 rainbow dye items. That would require some effort and keep the dye plants useful. Or you could make it require the new Lunar dyes, to lock it up for later.

In any case, I'd like an easier way of crafting basic dyes. They're just visual; they don't give awesome bonuses. And as already said in the post, it would make it more fun and easier. I largely ignore dye due to the difficulty of obtaining and mixing it. (I have single black dye bottle on my Fishron Wings. Combined with a Mysterious Cape, it makes it look like the cape opens up into a pair of wings. Rather cool, if I may say so. :))

Support.

Something that could counter the OPness of the Color Wheel could probably be it being sold by the Clothier if the Dye Trader is present, but for 1 platnium coin.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a platnium coin is pretty expensive. 20 gold.

A plat is fairly easy to get so not really all that expensive for something like this. ;P

I mean, a diamond ring (just vanity) is I think 2 plat lol.

Still though, necroing a thread half a year old, nice. :p

A plat is fairly easy to get so not really all that expensive for something like this. ;P

I mean, a diamond ring (just vanity) is I think 2 plat lol.

Still though, necroing a thread half a year old, nice. :p
Well, to be fair he isn't the one that raised it.

vvvvvvvvv

Well this is starting to feel familiar. hey OP, you woudn't happen to know a user named AzureMetal, would you?

Anyway I support this

It's worth noting this is for 1.2.4.1 (which was when the thread was posted). At the time of writing, it hasn't been updated for 1.3. So it doesn't include brown dye, the new bright silver or black and white dyes, and so on. It also doesn't include the sixth accessory slot or the five new equipment slots, which effectively means for a full set of dyes, you're looking at approximately doubling the required ingredients.

If anything, this makes your suggestion more relevant now.
Very close to! If the math is correct, you now need 2,275 dye items as of 1.3 from the previous 1,288. Not sure if the wiki included the sixth accessory slot, though, but even before was quite ridiculous, now it's even more so!

I'll be updating the OP now :p

EDIT:

Replaced the new dyes I had proposed with the new dyes, and made Color Wheel need 3 Rainbow Dyes, increasing the dye item requirement from 17 to 30.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom