Biomes & Nature [Sprites] The Depths: An Alternate Underworld

Late to post here, but thank you everyone for your comments!

I don't know about modding the Depths yet as there's a few things that need to be done first. Most notably Chasme's boss sprite. I'm also not entirely sure how to handle quicksilver outside of the Depths. Would it almost completely replace lava? Or would quicksilver only be located in the Depths.. and rarely in small pools outside of the biome, including Underworld worlds? It's easy to look over stuff like this in suggestion form, but to actually mod it these things need to be considered.

Okay, so because I wanna get my complaints out of the way first, I have to ask, why is there no knockback immunity in Depths worlds? That sorta needs to change IMO.

But the new update is just... ~:eek:

So many great new sprites, and I do love the old content just as much as before. Sapphire Serpent stuff and the two Kings are still my favorite things in the suggestion. Chasme seems to be a lot better now, and the addition of a new gem is a great idea because of the fact this is a gemstone themed area. Amazing stuff!

As for mods, anyone who wants can look up "BiomeLib" and join the author's Discord. He makes generating an alt Underworld easy enough, but obviously that's the very first small step. Enemies, weapons and boss AI also have to be done.

The Paladin's shield offers knockback immunity, though that's a late item with a situational effect. I've considered a further shield tinker, as I believe as-is, the Ankh Shield is really lacking, as it doesn't even protect against some common and/or late-game debuffs, like ichor, cursed flames, venom, electrocuted, distortion, blackout, etc.

Ankh Shield + Sanctus Shield would require two Ankh Charms, so maybe I'll do something like one of these final shields + the other original shield. So Ankh Shield + Palladium Shield, or Sanctus + Cobalt. Or the Obsidian/Crystal upgrades. This would require a world hop, though, which I'm not entirely opposed of, though I know some people are. There was an elemental glove upgrade I was considering too, perhaps I'll return to that some day.

If cobalt/palladium shields could be crafted out of their hardmode ore, then a world hop wouldn't be necessary, as theoretically worlds would have water, lava, and quicksilver, just the latter two more common or rare depending on the corresponding underworld. If they were say.. 20 or so bars, it'd still be worth looting them from the dungeon or.. alt dungeon coming at some point! You could also toss in a cross necklace in for the cobalt recipe, though I'm unsure what for palladium.

The new chasme needs more touch up. I really like what your going with but that huge change from the old sprites to the new is just very quick transition

Thanks but I noted that it wasn't a complete sprite. I've just spent hours on a number of redesigns and just wanted to get this done, as I have other biomes I wish to update and create as well. I feel like the current sprite does well with conveying the idea. I'll probably return to work on it more later on.

It's been about 4 years since thread creation.. so I wouldn't really call that a quick transition.
8AqmgQ7.png

The Sprite for Chasme's Soul inspired a pair of RP Characters called the Firewisp Dancers. (Their real names are Cathy and Sulu. Have fun finding out the inspiration for that.)

Hey, that's pretty cool! It's nice to be a source of inspiration. Chasme herself was inspired from a few other sources as well..

Perhaps the most obvious one, the Shadow Queen from Paper Mario
Cackletta spirit from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
and the electric ghost witch from Paranorman.

Oh, and @UltiDaniel 's comic too!

If you could get knockback immunity some other way around the same tier (Paladin's Shield barely counts), then maybe. But consider this: The Cobalt Shield is the reason people key-farm in the Dungeon in the first place; with a few exceptions, unless you're a ranger, the dungeon/shadow chest weapons have not really stood the test of time in terms of where they landed in progression (although Shadow Chest weapons would be completely different here, so...). For the most part, I get the Shield, grab an Alchemy and maybe Bewitching Table, and leave. The Palladium Shield is an accessory that could be really, genuinely useful. But compared to an accessory that is both a cornerstone to a bunch of people's builds and an incentive for melee, magic and summoner players to explore the dungeon, it's not gonna work. Beyond that, there's not a guarantee you'd know if your world had Depths by the time you got to the Dungeon; you probably would, but the Palladium Shield is dependent on an alt-biome that is completely unrelated to the Dungeon for the most part. I could see the Cobalt Shield being important enough that people refuse to pick Depths worlds, to be honest.

Late to post here, but thank you everyone for your comments!

I don't know about modding the Depths yet as there's a few things that need to be done first. Most notably Chasme's boss sprite. I'm also not entirely sure how to handle quicksilver outside of the Depths. Would it almost completely replace lava? Or would quicksilver only be located in the Depths.. and rarely in small pools outside of the biome, including Underworld worlds? It's easy to look over stuff like this in suggestion form, but to actually mod it these things need to be considered.

The Paladin's shield offers knockback immunity, though that's a late item with a situational effect. I've considered a further shield tinker, as I believe as-is, the Ankh Shield is really lacking, as it doesn't even protect against some common and/or late-game debuffs, like ichor, cursed flames, venom, electrocuted, distortion, blackout, etc.

Ankh Shield + Sanctus Shield would require two Ankh Charms, so maybe I'll do something like one of these final shields + the other original shield. So Ankh Shield + Palladium Shield, or Sanctus + Cobalt. Or the Obsidian/Crystal upgrades. This would require a world hop, though, which I'm not entirely opposed of, though I know some people are. There was an elemental glove upgrade I was considering too, perhaps I'll return to that some day.

If cobalt/palladium shields could be crafted out of their hardmode ore, then a world hop wouldn't be necessary, as theoretically worlds would have water, lava, and quicksilver, just the latter two more common or rare depending on the corresponding underworld. If they were say.. 20 or so bars, it'd still be worth looting them from the dungeon or.. alt dungeon coming at some point! You could also toss in a cross necklace in for the cobalt recipe, though I'm unsure what for palladium.

Thanks but I noted that it wasn't a complete sprite. I've just spent hours on a number of redesigns and just wanted to get this done, as I have other biomes I wish to update and create as well. I feel like the current sprite does well with conveying the idea. I'll probably return to work on it more later on.

It's been about 4 years since thread creation.. so I wouldn't really call that a quick transition.
8AqmgQ7.png

Hey, that's pretty cool! It's nice to be a source of inspiration. Chasme herself was inspired from a few other sources as well..

Perhaps the most obvious one, the Shadow Queen from Paper Mario
Cackletta spirit from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
and the electric ghost witch from Paranorman.

Oh, and @UltiDaniel 's comic too!
I typed quick transition since I was used to the old sprite because I thought it was the final product. But the updates look really good so far!

If you could get knockback immunity some other way around the same tier (Paladin's Shield barely counts), then maybe. But consider this: The Cobalt Shield is the reason people key-farm in the Dungeon in the first place; with a few exceptions, unless you're a ranger, the dungeon/shadow chest weapons have not really stood the test of time in terms of where they landed in progression (although Shadow Chest weapons would be completely different here, so...). For the most part, I get the Shield, grab an Alchemy and maybe Bewitching Table, and leave. The Palladium Shield is an accessory that could be really, genuinely useful. But compared to an accessory that is both a cornerstone to a bunch of people's builds and an incentive for melee, magic and summoner players to explore the dungeon, it's not gonna work. Beyond that, there's not a guarantee you'd know if your world had Depths by the time you got to the Dungeon; you probably would, but the Palladium Shield is dependent on an alt-biome that is completely unrelated to the Dungeon for the most part. I could see the Cobalt Shield being important enough that people refuse to pick Depths worlds, to be honest.

Yes, I get it. I did offer some possible work-arounds in my previous post, to allow knockback immunity in Depths worlds.

Personally the knockback immunity hasn't been that useful for me- 99 times out of 100, knockback sends me out of harms way, making it easier for me to escape. If I don't get bumped, the enemy can stay on me and hit me again and again. If the damage is low enough, a grapple down can work as an alternative to the shield for tanking. I honestly just don't see the knockback immunity THAT crucial. It almost seems like it should be a standard underground chest item, as early on is when bats can knock you off of high cliffs. By the time you're exploring the dungeon, you likely already have plenty of tools to get around fall damage, whether it be a bottle accessory, grappling hook, rocket boots, and so on. Maybe if thorns, hellstone/meteorite, and cacti still knocked the player around, but these were seen as annoyances rather than a downside of no shield, so now they don't knockback anymore.

The only times I have truly found the shield useful is during a Dungeon Guardian fight- as I once went without and a zombie popped out of no where and bumped me into the Dungeon Guardian, killing me. Though with the UFO mount, there's another reason not to use it... there was also a time I needed it to fight the Twins on a small world, since the low gravity of space kept opening me up to laser juggles. But besides these two occurrences (and I almost always play on large worlds), the shield just isn't important enough to warrant one of my slots. In fact.. it's often more of a hindrance than anything, often opening me up for double, triple, or even more hits. To me, the Cobalt Shield is more of a vanity item. It looks cool at least. I group it with the Mana Flower, of accessories that have other alternatives that don't require an accessory slot. It is almost effectively the defensive version of the Brain of Confusion (if nothing was immune to confusion), as an enemy running away decreases DPS given, while knockback immunity seems to increase DPS taken. Upgraded to Ankh, and it still doesn't provide status immunities to some of the more frequent debuffs you encounter, like frostburn, cursed inferno, on fire, ichor, webbed, blackout, venom, and later on, electrified, distorted, and obstructed. It also doesn't protect against the DD2 debuffs either I think.

If it gave knockback immunity AND knocked enemies away from you instead, then it'd be a terrific accessory. Not high knockback, just how far you're usually sent- a couple of blocks. The Cobalt Shield could bounce enemies away, while Palladium knocks projectiles away. If their final forms can be tinkered together, this seems like an endgame accessory worth considering.

Anyway, perhaps the Cobalt Shield can be crafted with 10 Cobalt Bars and a Cross Necklace, and the Palladium Shield with 10 Palladium Bars and a Philosopher's Stone. Perhaps I'll resprite it later to include a red gem. It wouldn't be the first time where a tinker resulted in different effects from its components (I'm looking at you, Mana Regeneration Band and Magic Cuffs..)

Alongside the crafting ability, Palladium doesn't have to be locked to Depths worlds as Cobalt wouldn't necessarily be linked with the Underworld. Cobalt and Crystal could make a Crystal Buckler and Palladium and Obsidian could make an Obsidian Buckler. Getting a little complicated here, but more shield designs would be a welcome addition I think. If not those, worlds would probably feature both access to obsidian and quartz anyway.

If I can code this, may I have your permission?
OK WHY IS NO ONE REPLEYING

Sorry about that, though I did reply earlier with:

Patience, my friend. Snickerbobble might be busy

Busy and lazy, yeah. I have too many biome projects, as well as a hefty progression overhaul for the game.. plus other things elsewhere.

Last edited:
Head's up there is a new mod for minecraft that adds something similar to your works. In case you wanted to know if there were something similar to what you're working on. It's called the midnight (the link to it is in the name).

its not really underworld-y at all and the colors are really mean to the eyes. but good work anyway.

its not really underworld-y at all and the colors are really mean to the eyes. but good work anyway.
Well, it's not underworld-y since it's not The Underworld. It is a world under the world, however. Mean to the eyes, how do you mean? Most of the theme is very dark.

Will this be a real mod? If not, could I implement it into the mod I plan to make? (Check signature: Renegade mod)
They have already said no to the idea of it being a mod or apart of a mod.

Hmm? I don't recall saying that.

I'm fine with mods with the following conditions:

• Credit is given (of course)
  • I'll probably not make sprites that the mod would require (such as animation frames for the mostly single-frame examples I have)
  • Can't promise I won't make any big changes to things to the main thread. Currently I have no intentions of any major revamps with the Depths, though, beyond some 1.4 additions.
  • I may one day in the distant future make my own mod. Can't really count on this, since my coding knowledge barely surpasses basic print statements at the moment.

I'm fairly easy going with mods of my stuff. Maybe I can help out with sprites once I get some other biome projects I keep delaying finished first. Luckily it seems most Depth creatures don't need much animation, beyond the bats and slimes which I've already done.

Well, it's not underworld-y since it's not The Underworld. It is a world under the world, however. Mean to the eyes, how do you mean? Most of the theme is very dark.

• I'll probably not make sprites that the mod would require (such as animation frames for the mostly single-frame examples I have)
  • Can't promise I won't make any big changes to things to the main thread. Currently I have no intentions of any major revamps with the Depths, though, beyond some 1.4 additions.
  • I may one day in the distant future make my own mod. Can't really count on this, since my coding knowledge barely surpasses basic print statements at the moment.

I'm fairly easy going with mods of my stuff. Maybe I can help out with sprites once I get some other biome projects I keep delaying finished first. Luckily it seems most Depth creatures don't need much animation, beyond the bats and slimes which I've already done.
Even if I were to implement this, I would most likely add it as an extra biome that generates on world gen in the Underworld, similar to the Brimstone Biome in Calamity, which is the reason I am asking about not being an alternate biome, so that my mod is compatible with giant mods that everyone plays like Calamity

sorry for misquoting you, I might of confused you with someone else, my fault.

wait, this isn't the Torment, I tried implementing this into my own mod maybe 2 years ago but failed due to developer motivation fell.
Thank you for giving me the chance to make this a mod at the time btw.

Back
Top Bottom