NPCs & Enemies [SRT] NPC Relationships

Dakota Spine

Headless Horseman
Hey guys, Dakota here! As is right now, the NPCs just kind of feel like strangers that hang out in their rooms and sell you things sometimes, a person who is pretty much a stranger to them.

Why not have bonds that build over time? Like either through talking with them. Maybe letting you converse about different things. Or using that NPC's function. Or maybe even going on a quest or something for them. Maybe even going out on an adventure with them or something! Something that would build bonds. Get to know the NPCs that inhabit your world.

Think of Social Links from Persona games for reference. Start off just kind of knowing one another. And eventually, you become great friends with the person you are building a link with.

As the Bond grows stronger, the NPCs will get more friendly dialogue, and dialogue that opens up a bit more. Like "Ey', <Player>! My favorite customer! How's it goin'?" Or "My friend! It's good to see you! What'll it be?" I just think it would be nice to have. And the more you build a Bond, maybe that NPC could lower the prices on what they sell. Or gain more things to sell. Or you could just get other unique rewards for building that Bond. And maybe even gaining buffs. A bit of elaboration on who some of the NPCs are would be pretty cool, I think.

And as one last detail, there could be five tabs on an NPC flag. Either on the flag in their room, or next to the NPC GUI. Whenever your bond builds, a detail will be added to one of the NPC icons. Either one of the tabs on their NPC Flag will gold, or a gold circle will go next to their icon in the NPC GUI. And when a bond is maxed, their flag will turn gold!

Again, I just think it would be a cool form of world building, and a way to get to know the NPCs. Just feeling like human interaction rather than walking vendors.

Anyway, thanks for reading this! I hope you guys like the idea. Dakota, out.

I'd keep socializing to games that actually need them for fleshing out. I have no real interest in devoting myself too much to NPCs in Terraria. I like them as they are. Stupid, brainless and unlimited cash cows.

I'd keep socializing to games that actually need them for fleshing out. I have no real interest in devoting myself too much to NPCs in Terraria. I like them as they are. Stupid, brainless and unlimited cash cows.
That's why is have a lava pit under every house, which all have actuator-filled floors. :)

I mean, they would still be that essentially :p Just a little more... fleshed out... brainless unlimited cash cows. With benefits.

I guess that, at least it would prevent them from being a feature that could have been implemented more quickly by adding something such as vending machines.

I do indeed like the idea of gaining and losing bonds, but I think it should stay at the dialogue changing, and nothing more or less.

Great idea! Also, the NPC's also have a basis to go off of.
Arms Dealer and Nurse go out
AD likes Dryad
Clothier likes Dryad
Nurse hates Mechanic
Mechanic and GT like each other
DT hates Pirate
Nures always heal Demolitionist
Stylist doesn't like GT

The dialogue already give a story. So, maybe the NPC's could actually try to move towards those they like and interact more with each other.

Back
Top Bottom