Weapons & Equip Staff of command

Xemgoa

Plantera
I would like to make a suggestion about how to make your summons behave in different ways, and today I'd like to talk about it.

For starters, as a Summoner Main, I love using minions to support my team mates with a variety of creatures and humanoids to assist my other team mates. I just wish you could alter their behavior a bit by being able to have more control on how they have in the field of battle.

So I would like to suggest a tool that summoners can use on existing summons in their arsenal, Staff of Command (The name is bland and original so we can just say it is a placeholder till a better name can be thought of).

The Staff of command lets you have better control on your summons, being able to target something specific, able to have them hold a position so they can protect and area and not teleport to you when your too far away (coughGuardiancough), and return to you on command.

I was talking to my sibling over how the summoner class is excellent for offering support by summoning the minions to aid in the offense or defense, though sometimes their behavior and targeting can be rather annoying, such in some cases when taking on the Lunar pillars, my Stardust Dragon would completely abandon the fight against Lunar enemies guarding their tower ... to quickly knock out a slime in some cave system below us (which I had no idea at the time) and then return to the field, only on occasion to do it again because one particular tower parked in the same spot the last one did. He inspired this idea and I'd like something like this to be incorporated into the game (then again, I might get comments about how OP something like this might be, only for the Dev's to add it and then suddenly everyone is okay. I wonder if this is a repeating theme of trying to predict how the dev's want their game to be, or some people don't like change, only wanting the Dev's to come up with their own ideas and add them. I dunno. Enough of my rambling.)

So the Staff of Command allows you to assign your currently summoned minion to attack anything closest to your mouse point while the staff is being held, breaking away from any target their currently focused on and attacking the closest enemy to mouse point. Summons can also be assigned to stay in one spot and defend the area against intruders, and return on command with the staff.

I am not sure of how it'll retain these three functions but that'd be a great thing to have as a summoner, so I as a summoner can be more helpful if I wanna create some breathing room or assist in an assault.

Sounds good to me. A sort of "Lock On" item. I like it. Perhaps it could be an accessory that lets you right-click an enemy to highlight it, making your minions go target that.

Of course, such a gift should be pretty hard to obtain, as it kinda eliminates one of the drawbacks of the minions in the first place, making them rather powerful for everyone, not just the summoner. (Remember, the average Terrarian can have 3 minions (because Bewitching table + Summoner potion) and 5 sentries! (I think. I believe you can use all the sentries at once, but I've not tested it myself.)

When I saw the title of the thread, however, I thought you were going to talk about an item that lets you take control of a minion, letting you fly around as it, shoot things as you wish, but it would leave your body rather vulnerable, and you could never let your body get out of sight (as the effect would either just end, or end and hurt you, or maybe both with only a chance of being hurt. :v)

Either way, I like the idea! :3

Thank you, though I was hoping it could be used as a staff tool, not as an accessory. Like the Staff of regrowth; only an entirely different function.
Hmm, I suppose so. Anything to get the summoner to be more active in fights (especially boss ones) instead of just either running/dodging or using the combat mounts! (Slime, Unicorn, Scuttlyx, Mechanical Cart)

Back
Top Bottom