PC Stardust Dragon Staff vs Tempest Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

updatedude

Terrarian
Hmm, interesting how the Stardust Dragon works now. The more segments it has, the stronger it becomes. Not sure how it compares to pre-1.3.0.6. At how many segments would it exceed the old Dragon?

So does this mean that for a non-Summoner or a Summoner who doesn't want a full length dragon, it'd be better to just get a Tempest Staff?

I tend to mix it up with my Summoner. Since the Dragon's cool and all, but it does have a tendency to be off screen while I'm being murdered. So I tend to have 1 dragon segment out and a buncha cells for personal protection.

What do you guys think? Sharknado seems to have higher damage and it's pretty fast. Would it be better for general protection/screen clearing?

Thanks.

Attachments

• stardust.png
    stardust.png
    269 KB · Views: 6,132
The Stardust Dragon however does have attention deficiency issues when faced with multiple targets.
You've not experienced the real power of the Stardust Dragon until you've experienced it killing tons of offscreen enemies, while completely ignoring a few enemies that are RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.

The Stardust Dragon however does have attention deficiency issues when faced with multiple targets.
You've not experienced the real power of the Stardust Dragon until you've experienced it killing tons of offscreen enemies, while completely ignoring a few enemies that are RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.

Yeah, this is why my summoner mixes summons. I want defense more than dps. I didn't even know about the segment/damage multiplier until now. I guess it doesn't matter for my non-summoners (except my builder, but he's part-summoner anyway).

For travel I prefer 2 - 3 stardust dragon segments and then use the rest of my summons for cells; though, while fighting bosses, I go full on cells as stardust dragon can't compare in the slightest on the dps that they can put out. The one exception to this is for worm type bosses like the destroyer, dragon is so fun to use on those. As for moons for the first 1 to 4 waves I use dragon as she just has amazing wave clear and she helps push the waves down really fast, but after that I put her away and summon a full array of cells to help me nuke down the bosses before they become an actual problem to me as they can take me down very fast if I don't do the same to them.

As for tempest staff itself, it's just eh. It's more of a fun weapon to mess around with than anything else tbh.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting how the Stardust Dragon works now. The more segments it has, the stronger it becomes. Not sure how it compares to pre-1.3.0.6. At how many segments would it exceed the old Dragon?

So does this mean that for a non-Summoner or a Summoner who doesn't want a full length dragon, it'd be better to just get a Tempest Staff?

Stardust Dragon has always had scaling per minion count; that was its design, even from day one 1.3. A 1 segment Dragon was weaker than a 3 segment, was weaker than a 7 segment.

The change amplified the segment damage increase, as well as fixed Weapon Prefixes, while reducing the base damage.

Assuming you are using Ruthless, by my rough math, you should see:

1. A slightly weaker 1 minion count Dragon than in the previous version (about 10%)
2. At 2-3 minion count, you should be seeing close enough damage that it is either so slightly weaker/slightly stronger than before, it shouldn't be noticable.
3. A 4 or more minion count, you should be seeing more damage than in the previous version.

In my personal opinion, I don't see any scenario where a Sharknado staff would ever outdamage a 1-minion count Dragon. Remember, the listed damage isn't representative of the actual damage. Try it out on an enemy some time. It doesn't hurt that the Dragon has wallhacking either.

Stardust Dragon has always had scaling per minion count; that was its design, even from day one 1.3. A 1 segment Dragon was weaker than a 3 segment, was weaker than a 7 segment.

The change amplified the segment damage increase, as well as fixed Weapon Prefixes, while reducing the base damage.

Assuming you are using Ruthless, by my rough math, you should see:

1. A slightly weaker 1 minion count Dragon than in the previous version (about 10%)
2. At 2-3 minion count, you should be seeing close enough damage that it is either so slightly weaker/slightly stronger than before, it shouldn't be noticable.
3. A 4 or more minion count, you should be seeing more damage than in the previous version.

In my personal opinion, I don't see any scenario where a Sharknado staff would ever outdamage a 1-minion count Dragon. Remember, the listed damage isn't representative of the actual damage. Try it out on an enemy some time. It doesn't hurt that the Dragon has wallhacking either.
It seems to me this is categorizing the dragon as best when going full summoner, and the cell staff as best when you're just using it to supplement your main weapons. But I heard some people saying the xeno staff is better than the cell staff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom