Starfury: One of the more underrated weapons...

I honestly like the starfury better now that's a melee weapon as its swing is properly improved by melee damage bonuses (in which back then it was improved by magic) and its single star is a lot stronger and faster compared to the swarm it used to spawn back then. All this for what, a single gravity potion?

I don't think it's the fact that people hate the Starfury, They just miss the older one.

Yes you can use the current version to find things underground much easier than other methods (Best being a spelunker's potion), And you are more accurate with it now dealing a better overall DPS, But I'm with the people who dislike the new version.

I loved being able to spam stars at enemies, While it may not have been very effective as a melee weapon it still looked pretty awesome which made the Star Fury one of my favourite magic items in the game. (Look at the Star Cannon for an example, It's very unlikely anybody is going to farm enough stars to actually use it effectively, But that doesn't mean people won't use it for kicks) Now though, It's as others have said, A shadow of it's former self.

I wish they could do something like with Ancient armour, And make a version with a rarer chance of spawning. Call it the Ancient Starfury (Or Star Shower) that has an equal, Or rare chance of spawning in Sky Island chests. Programmed so it's impossible to acquire both from the chest.

I personally love the new starfury since I always end up going the melee route at the start. Granted I didn't really play this game till it was like... a few months before 1.2 update so I didn't get to use the old starfury much and when I did my mana was crap and could only fire a few stars before it ran out and my brain just went "nope" and I chested the thing but thanks to rng i've ended up finding a starfury near the start of the last 3 worlds and characters i've made and used it up till i get grass blade/thorn chakram. Even then I keep it on me to help find cave rooms/spaces to help with exploring.

I usually don't check the skylands, so I forget about the Starfury, however it's pretty good at times. I used it to attack enemies away from me and since the stars usually deal about 45-50 damage, it's pretty strong for it's tier.

The Starfury is somewhat difficult to attain. You have to know Floating Islands exist, you have to find the Floating Islands, and hope they have the sword. For a fresh player, that's not really easy. It can be difficult just farming for Red Balloons with a fully upgraded player on new small worlds. When I wanted to find Floating Islands, I used the Water Bolt trick - fire some bolts upward and see if they bounce back. Then I need a big stack of platforms to get up there. (I later looked for little tell-tale signs in the world generation that indicates a Floating Island is above. A random small patch of sand, high-level ores at ground level or a 2+ level cave is usually a good sign. Basically, if the terrain looks a bit unusual, it's worth taking a peek above.)

Anyway, back on topic. They're difficult to know about and find. They also have limited effectiveness underground. (Though the lighting idea is an interesting one. I'll have to try that.) If I remember correctly, there's only one projectile at a time. I don't think it's underrated insomuch as overlooked. It might be a good weapon, but there are other weapons that do the job better that are easier to attain. Just like how in most cases basic Wings are easier to get than a Lucky Horseshoe.

Star Wrath on the other hand... the huge star rain it can summon gives it great potential!

Starfury beats staves and guns in that in can shoot on the other side of walls. It beats spelunker potions in that in can light up completely empty caves. The phasing star improvement wasn't done well enough to use it as a weapon anywhere but the surface, however. It should have been tooled to ignore walls until the height of the cursor.

Not too many items let you attack through walls. Vilethorn is one, but has short range. Starfury is a bit low level, and requires some space above for the star to fall through, but as the OP mentioned, it produces light, so it can be used as a tool as well. Only others to come to mind are the summoning rods, which are all around handy... Unless you are trying to not kill/break certain things.

I don't know if I see "underrated" for Starfury as much as I see "lack of serious interest" about it. I still think it's a fantastic weapon and prioritize it in almost every new playthrough. I wouldn't call it underrated at all (in fact, more likely iconic since everyone knows what Starfury is).

Back
Top Bottom