Biomes & Nature Starstorm- new nightime event.

What do you think?

• Support worthy (dont nerf star cannon)

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Support worthy (nerf star cannon)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Cool

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

MrTheEpicNinja

Terrarian
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png
Fallen_Star.png

So right now, there isn't any fast way of farming stars without spending ages setting up afk star hoiking farms etc.

This would change that, without making the star cannon too overpowered.

So I have come up with a new random event that has a 1/30 chance of happening any night. (You have to break a shadow orb first, to prevent it happening on your first/second night and being really OP).
During this event, there would be a gigantic increase in fallen stars. Instead of maybe 10-20 per night. During a starstorm 100-200 stars will fall. Roughly 1 every 3 seconds.

A message will come up saying: stars are pouring from the heavens.

Also, if this is in hardmode, the arms dealer will sell jesters arrows instead of unholy ones.

I also suggest jester bullets. 30x empty bullet + 1xFallen Star = jester bullet. Which will pierce up to 5 times before dissapearing.

To stop boss cheesing. You will be unable to spawn any bosses or events during a starstorm.

To make the event a little more challenging (as requested) rather than 'free falling stars everywhere.' I have added some moderate-difficult enemies that you will need to combat to reach stars.
star summoner.png

40 HP
15 Damage
8 Damage
40% KB resist
Summons up to 3 homing stars from the top of the screen to attack you before teleporting. (like a starfury)
Caster AI

Drops: Shard of the heavens (pre-hardmode blizzard staff equivalent.) (4%)
glowing eye.png

105 HP
29 Damage
6 Defense
KB Resist - 10%
Demon Eye AI

Drops: Lens (50%)
90 HP
22 Damage
10 Defense
KB Resist 20%
Fighter AI

Drops: Shackle (2%)
Zombie Arm (0.4%)
Glowing Zombie banner (0.5%)
Glowing Goo Canister (0.6%)
60HP
28 Damage
8 Defense
KB resist 0%
Shoots Glowing slime balls at the player
Spiked Slime AI

Drops: Gel 3-4 (100%)
Slime Staff (0.1%)
Glowing Slime Banner (0.5%)
Glowing goo cannister (0.8%)
starbelt.png
Sprites by @Scironex
HP 85
18 Damage
12 Defense
80% KB resist
Angry Nimbus AI,
shoots stars at a player, half as fast as an angry nimbus.

Drops: Starbelt Staff
starbelt staff.png
(15%) Sprites by @Scironex
Starfury
Starfury.png
(8%)
Starbelt banner (0.5%)
shard of the heavens v2.png

(pre-hardmode blizzard staff - fires 1-2 star per use, instead of 4 icicles)
tool-tip: you have brought the starstorm with you
Damage = 14
KB = 3
Mana = 7
Velocity = 10
Usetime = 13
Drop rate: Star Summoner - (4%)
starbelt staff.png
Sprites by @Scironex
(summons little starbelts to rain stars on your enemies.)
chases down enemies, hovers 10 blocks above them and drops stars on them.
works like a minion (e.g raven staff) NOT like a nimbus rod
-Innaccurate on fast moving enemies.
MINION =
starbelt minion.png
Sprites by @Scironex
Damage = 23
KB = 1
Mana = 10
Velocity = 8
Usetime = 30
Drop rate: Starbelt - (15%)
glowing goo cannister.png

Accessory
Material
Tooltip: Provides light when worn, but is extinguished underwater.

Can be combined with: Jellyfish necklace
Jellyfish_Necklace.png
@ Tinkerer's Workshop to make -
Goo necklace
goo necklace.png

Accessory
Material
Tooltip: Provides light underwater & on land.

Can be combined w/ StarViel
Star_Veil.png
@Tinkerer's Workshop to make -
Glowing Necklace
glowing necklace.png

Accessory
Tooltip: Provides light when equipped. After being struck by an enemy, stars will fall and you will have increased immunity.

Starfury
Starfury.png
could also be a drop from starbelt in the event as-well as/instead of in floating island cabins.

If this is too OP we might need to lower the star cannon's stats a bit.

If you guys have any suggestions for mobs/weapons/accessories to go with this, let me know.

Last edited:
10-20 a night? I easily get 40 with my Skybridge...

Anyways: No support. IMO too OP, I don't really see a problem with the current rate. (Also consider the possibility that this happens on the first night. They'd be set for mana far too quickly.)

And sidenote: I read the title as "Sandstorm- new nighttime event" which led to a lot of confusion for a while.

I LOVE this idea. I cannot even begin to describe how much. As soon as I read the title my jaw was on the ground. However, I don't believe it should be available from the get-go. Imagine having that many stars on your second night...instant full stars is way too OP. Definitely by hardmode and maybe even before; say, after skeletron?

Adding a spawnable boss would be cool too. Imagine some star being that would gain health instead of taking damage whenever he was hit by a star. This would make it difficult to kill depending on the star drops. Of course like you said, no other bosses could be spawned.

However it's added though, instant support. Epic idea worthy of a +1

10-20 a night? I easily get 40 with my Skybridge...

Anyways: No support. IMO too OP, I don't really see a problem with the current rate. (Also consider the possibility that this happens on the first night. They'd be set for mana far too quickly.)

And sidenote: I read the title as "Sandstorm- new nighttime event" which led to a lot of confusion for a while.
The thing is though. To get a reasonable amount of stars you need to be outside all the time at night. But to balance it out how about i change it so that you have to break a shadow orb first. By then you should have atleast a couple of mana stars and it will be on the same tier as meteor. Which i think will fit. Remember its just as rare as a solar eclipse.

And finaly... Dududududududu

I LOVE this idea. I cannot even begin to describe how much. As soon as I read the title my jaw was on the ground. However, I don't believe it should be available from the get-go. Imagine having that many stars on your second night...instant full stars is way too OP. Definitely by hardmode and maybe even before; say, after skeletron?
I'm changing it so that you have to have broken a shadow orb first. Does that sound fair considering its 1/30 chance?

However it's added though, instant support. Epic idea worthy of a +1
Thankyou :D
[DOUBLEPOST=1421814993][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bruh this is awesome tho!!!

Nice, but I think that the message should be "Ness got a Smash Ball!"

Seriously though, this is a pretty cool idea. I don't think that there should be a boss, but rather some tough, exclusive enemies that also drop fallen stars on death. This way, if a new player tries to go out and collect stars, they'll have a tough time of it. However, if that player is skilled and resourceful, they can get a head start. This would encourage skillful play, which is always a good thing.

Regardless,

RXqBtvH.png

Scironex Seal of Approval

I'm changing it so that you have to have broken a shadow orb first. Does that sound fair considering its 1/30 chance?
This mixed with this:
Seriously though, this is a pretty cool idea. I don't think that there should be a boss, but rather some tough, exclusive enemies that also drop fallen stars on death. This way, if a new player tries to go out and collect stars, they'll have a tough time of it. However, if that player is skilled and resourceful, they can get a head start. This would encourage skillful play, which is always a good thing.
equals perfect.

Regardless,

RXqBtvH.png

Scironex Seal of Approval
I don't think a boss would fit in too well either. But i think some mobs would fit in well, like you said. Right now I don't have ant ideas. So if you do make sure to let me know! Thanks.
[DOUBLEPOST=1421816308][/DOUBLEPOST]
This mixed with this:

equals perfect.
Im glad you think so, make sure to like the post if you support! Thanks!

I like this... Makes it an actual challenge instead of just "FREE STARS EVERYWHERE"

I don't think a boss would fit in too well either. But i think some mobs would fit in well, like you said. Right now I don't have ant ideas. So if you do make sure to let me know! Thanks.
Note that if you were to change it so that it had difficult enemies, I'd prefer that you kept it able to occur from the start.

More to the point, though, I was thinking an Angry Nimbus-style enemy that shot little star bits at you. Maybe a starstruck zombie? Then a Meteor Head-type of enemy would be thematic. You could introduce the possibility of the Starstorm enemies inflicting confused, but that might be a pain in the arse.

I like this... Makes it an actual challenge instead of just "FREE STARS EVERYWHERE"
I think 'free stars everywhere' is good as long as the enemies that go with it are tough. They don't drop fallen stars, but to collect fallen stars it will be more difficult to go past them.
[DOUBLEPOST=1421817211][/DOUBLEPOST]
Note that if you were to change it so that it had difficult enemies, I'd prefer that you kept it able to occur from the start.

More to the point, though, I was thinking an Angry Nimbus-style enemy that shot little star bits at you. Maybe a starstruck zombie? Then a Meteor Head-type of enemy would be thematic. You could introduce the possibility of the Starstorm enemies inflicting confused, but that might be a pain in the arse.
How about a star summoner. It summons fallen stars from the top of the screen to damage you similar to the blizzard staff. The thing is, the stars will turn into fallen stars when they hit the ground. However, you will have to keep it alive for more stars to spawn.

How about a star summoner. It summons fallen stars from the top of the screen to damage you similar to the blizzard staff. The thing is, the stars will turn into fallen stars when they hit the ground. However, you will have to keep it alive for more stars to spawn.
The summoned stars would have to wallclip until they reach your elevation. otherwise, it would be too easy to cheese.

The summoned stars would have to wallclip until they reach your elevation. otherwise, it would be too easy to cheese.
If it involves working out a strategy, then i don't really see a problem. But i do see your point. :/. How about it drops a staff thats like a prehardmode blizzard staff. Except instead of icicles it rains stars!

If it involves working out a strategy, then i don't really see a problem. But i do see your point. :/. How about it drops a staff thats like a prehardmode blizzard staff. Except instead of icicles it rains stars!
That is basically the Starfury.

Not really, this would be a magic weapon that constantly rains stars. Except only 11 dmg each or something.
For the purposes of Pre-HM, where the differences between the weapon classes are less noteworthy, Starfury functions pretty similarly to the Blizzard Staff. If anything, I'd give the enemy a Summoner weapon. Maybe one that summons the Angry Nimbus-type enemy?

For the purposes of Pre-HM, where the differences between the weapon classes are less noteworthy, Starfury functions pretty similarly to the Blizzard Staff. If anything, I'd give the enemy a Summoner weapon. Maybe one that summons the Angry Nimbus-type enemy?
Ok, a summoner weapon simmilar to the staff of the frost hydra. And one that summons 'ninja stars.' I have 4 enemies planned and i can add an angry nimbus style one too.

Ok, a summoner weapon simmilar to the staff of the frost hydra. And one that summons 'ninja stars.' I have 4 enemies planned and i can add an angry nimbus style one too.
I- what? I meant a summon that chases down enemies, hovers over them, and drops stars on them. Also, "Ninja Stars" should be totally be a projectile-only melee weapon. Like the Vampire Knives, but only one shot, and no lifesteal. Also weak, because earlygame.

Back
Top Bottom