Starting off strong and smart - What I suggest!

GoldenTerrabyte said:
15 of Rotten Chunks if it's Corruption, or Vertebrae if it's Crimson
Actually, it's just 10 vertebrae for Crimson. But you do need 15 rotten chunks for Corruption. Good guide, I'm going to make one on the start of hardmode.

Another helpful thing to do (Before hardmode that is) is to fish up a decent sum of crates in easymode and as soon as you get into hardmode open them all giving you hardmode ores and bars!

For the guide itself:

The guide you've made is somewhat basic in my opinion, but it still gives the idea of progression at least.

You're welcome! When 1.3 comes out, I'm gonna play through again, probably a few times, and then make appropriate changes to this thread, if there are any major changes or additions to the early-game.

This is fairly close to what I do, however I take more risks early on

I personally would suggest trying to find wooden chests first. A spear is an extremely valuable weapon early.

I wouldn't worry about a house until you have enough gear to comfortably survive the night.

I generally start with nothing less than iron armor. Crafting armor from wood is somewhat wasteful if you are good at dodging, and know the best weapon for taking out an enemy.

This is fairly close to what I do, however I take more risks early on

I personally would suggest trying to find wooden chests first. A spear is an extremely valuable weapon early.

I wouldn't worry about a house until you have enough gear to comfortably survive the night.

I generally start with nothing less than iron armor. Crafting armor from wood is somewhat wasteful if you are good at dodging, and know the best weapon for taking out an enemy.
I find having wood armor to be nice, as you can take one or two more hits without dying. Of course, should you have the luck to snag a Warding Shackle on your first night, you might as well skip wood armor altogether. :p
Wooden Chest loot is great, and is very helpful. You're more than likely to find them just as you're exploring, so they really don't need to be mentioned in the guide. That's the sort of thing I like to be a fun little surprise to new players.
I agree on worrying about gear above a house, that's why I say to go get gear before building a house.

I would suggest mining for gems because the gem staffs are great mana weapons and are easy to get early. Fighting Wof is much easier with a diamond staff, also does good damage to skeleton if you can get it early and have enough mana. Also mention Hellstone gear and Nights edge because it will be your best weapon for some time. Hellstone picks are the only way to mine palladium/cobalt aside from Reaver shark(obtained by fishing in the ocean)

Last edited:
the gem staffs are great mana weapons
That's true...
and are easy to get early.
THAT'S not. It takes about 2 hours on average (for me, at least) to mine enough stuff, and the hooks are more worthwhile. The Wand of Sparkling is much easier and very strong. The Vilethorn is easy enough if you have a ton of bombs, an umbrella, and enough skill. Otherwise, try to find a surface Water Bolt, and if you can't, use the Amazon (Easy yoyo to rush for) to kill Skeletron and run through the dungeon, grab a Water Bolt, and leave. More fun that mining, gets better weapons, and usually takes a little less time.

The hooks are valuable, that doesn't mean you need a diamond one, getting a diamond staff was insanely helpful to me, besides it depends on luck, also try to learn what ores look like on the map, thats the only reason i found Mythril

The hooks are valuable, that doesn't mean you need a diamond one, getting a diamond staff was insanely helpful to me, besides it depends on luck, also try to learn what ores look like on the map, thats the only reason i found Mythril
My point still stands. I rarely get one diamond before hardmode, and don't get me started on platinum. It is much for fun to fight bosses and go into dangerous areas early than to spend a couple hours digging around.

It takes me way to long to build a house in a playthrough. The first thing I do is look for chests and go underground. In a world I have beaten king slime and eye of cthulhu and I don't even have a house!

Back
Top Bottom