Starting off strong and smart - What I suggest!

After you make
Hello everyone! Here, I would like to detail my preferable way of starting a playthrough, to get you new players started, or for veterans who are starting new and may be looking for new methods to starting off! Now my method is a little different than most people, but I find it works for me! :)Anyway, on to the good stuff!

Step 1: Locate a Snow biome!
Now, most people say step 1 should be building a house, but I disagree, and the next few steps will explain why! And in the case you encounter Corruption/Crimson(Those are the dimly lit purple or red biomes, for you new players!), turn around and try the other side! If both sides have Corruption or Crimson before any snow biomes, I suggest trying a new world.:sigh:

Step 2: Chop down trees, kill slimes for gel, and grab some Ice Blocks, and also some stone from a non-snow area!
With your Boreal Wood from the snowy trees, craft the following gear! A workbench so you can make the other things, a fullset of Boreal Wood Armor, a Boreal Wood Sword, a Boreal wood Bow, a Boreal Wood Hammer, and make some torches from the wood and gel, and with the ice blocks you gathered, make those into Ice Torches! Now with the wood and stone, make a bunch of Arrows! Now, with your Ice Torches, make Frostburn Arrows! Now you've got some great starting gear, you can defend yourself well!:D

Step 3: NOW build your house! A few houses, actually!
Now that you've crafted all your Boreal Wood gear, you need not worry about needing more! So you can use as much wood as you want on a house! Light the house with regular OR Ice Torches, it doesn't really matter, just always remember to keep some Ice Torches on hand so you can craft any regular arrows into Frost ones! Place your workbench in your house, and also make a chair! Now that you've built your first house, build a few more around! They can be right on top, more like extra floors, or around like a town, whatever you like! This way villagers can move in, which is a very important thing!

Step 4: Go underground!
Find what you can! Ores, more stone for more arrows, gemstones, and treasure chests! Whenever you find a chest, always take everything that you want, throw out what you don't want, and then take it with you! Always keep as many chests as you can, you'll want to store your extra things so you can always explore with a clear inventory to keep what you find! Also keep an eye out for Life Crystals, they're these huge, magenta crystal hearts you find around underground, mine these cool crystals and use them to increase your health bar by one heart! This is VERY important to surviving better! Also worth noting, going underground in an ice biome is a LITTLE dangerous, I suggest going underground in a normal area for now

Step 5: Gather lots of ores!
Once you have a lot of ore(and hopefully you found some good treasure too) you should return home, I say by logging out and back in, or if you by any chance found a Magic Mirror, use that! Now, place your chests around and store all your blocks and random things! Now, craft a Furnace and Anvil! Make as many ore bars as you can, and make some better armor and other gear! Keep making better stuff until you have full Silver/Tungsten gear or better! And have at least 4 life crystals!

Step 6: Now, to get any further, you must go...
...into the Corruption or Crimson!:eek: I've mentioned these places a few times, but now instead of avoiding them, you must explore them! Now, kill enemies until you have gathered 15 of Rotten Chunks if it's Corruption, or Vertebrae if it's Crimson! And if it's Corruption, also gather 6 Vile Mushrooms, and go back and place a bottle on your workbench and craft Vile Powder.(to get a bottle if you haven't already, either find some in chests, or craft them at a furnace by making Sand into Glass and then into Bottles) Now, go down into one of the holes! If it's Corruption, you should have a Grappling hook to get down more safely, which you can craft with gems! Now find an Altar down there! Craft either a Bloody Spine or Worm Food, and use this to summon the boss! Being either the Brain of Cthulhu, or Eater of Worlds! Defeat said boss, and it will drop all the needed ingredients to make Corrupt/Crimson gear! If you can't make EVERYTHING, repeat these steps again, killing the boss a second time will be easier.

Step 7: DO WHATEVER!
Now with full Corrupt/Crimson gear, you're strong enough to do whatever you want next, so have fun!:happy:

Step 8(not really a "step" this time but whatever) : Extra tips here and there;)

If you ever find any sort of thing with a color in the name (Yellow Marigold, Blue Berries, Green Mushroom, Orange Bloodroot, those are some examples) keep them! These can craft dyes, which is a really fun feature to play with!

If you ever get surprise attacked by the Eye of Cthulhu, try and defeat it! If you do he drops some Demonite/Crimtane, a lot of money, as well as some Corrupt/Crimson seeds that you can plant if you wanna be evil... :naughty:
Plus killing any boss unlocks the Dryad villager, who sells some nice items! But if you did the whole guide without killing the Eye, the Brain/Eater also unlocks the Dryad so you might have her already.:dryadsmile:

Should you encounter the Jungle,(identified by different colored grass, different music, green sky, and ground all made of mud) this biome is dangerous for beginners, but rather safe with some good gear, and it's definitely recommended you explore here when you're strong enough! This place has a lot of cool stuff to find!

If you find a Dungeon(huge building, Old Man walking around) DON'T GO IN YET! If you do, you will find the Dungeon Guardian! A giant, super fast skull that flies by and insta kills you! To go in safely, come around with rather strong gear(I recommend Corrupt/Crimson gear) and talk to the Old Man at night! Defeat Skeletron, and now you can explore the Dungeon!
After making Shadow armour,go to the underworld to make obsidian,(Take Lots of buckets of water) Then make an obsidian skull and Obsidian skin potion and mine some hellstone to make more awesome gear!

Step 1: Make a house for the merchant
Step 2: Get bait and a fishing rod
Step 3: Get a Reaver Shark
Step 4: Get Hellstone
Step 5: ???
Step 6: PROFIT!
Step 6.1: Make the rest of the stuff you were supposed to do before skipping the entire pre-hardmode

Some bosses DON'T make the dryad spawn like the WOF or King Sli-
*realizes this thread is 2 years old*

I totally agree, Other than armor thou, The first armor i make is hellstone, I use accessories/dropped armor for the beginning

I have to disagree on the first step.

It is generally better if you traverse to the Crimson/Corruption first and quickly cut down about 80 or so shadewood.

Shadewood is better than boreal, and they are now that much harder to obtain than Boreal wood too. (Really, just dig underground and cut the tree while below it, simple).

I'd follow this guide until after eow/boc and then make a corruption/crimson fishing rod (I'd already have bought net and caught bugs). Fishing underground for the rockfish (base damage is already higher than phaseblade) is useful for a strong weapon and ocean for reavershark. Rockfish will wreck eow if you got it before fighting it. getting an early waterbolt by smashing books in the dungeon is great for boc.

I'd disagree with the last tip. It's REALLY a good idea of go to the dungeon and look for the waterbolt; since it's a powerful weapon early pre-hardmode and works really great against EoW/BoC , the Dungeon and Underground Jungle which have narrow passages and such and the ricocheting projectiles work perfectly to finish the enemies. Just put all your coins in a chest before going to dungeon so, if you die by the hands of the Guardian; there is nothing to lose.

Also, look out for enchanted sword shrines in the outer two thirds of the world; usually the crevice leading to the shrine is easy to spot; or if you have a Starfury; you can use the stars to check out if something is there or not.

Also, getting a gravitation potion from a pot or chest early in the game is also a huge help. You can search the world for floating islands and get the starfury. Starfury can easily get you through pre-hardmode bosses with ease.

Back
Top Bottom