PC Steam Workshop caused both world and player corruption?

seanettles

Terrarian
so i'm mostly posting this to see if anyone else has run into this issue.

i've been playing Terraria for at least a majority, if not all of, its 10yr lifespan. i've used steam cloud sync to play it for at least the last five years (or something like that, my sense of time is trash), and have never had any issues with save corruption.

now, recently, both my world and player files in a ~80hr Master Mode run have corrupted, within a day of each other. the difference between this run, and all the other worlds i've played in previous years, is my use of Steam Workshop (specifically, the Builder's Workshop world).

after playing so many games over so many years, there were just a couple items i couldn't be bothered to grind for anymore this time around. so i nabbed them from the workshop and brought them back into my own world. and while doing this one time, i found i couldn't load back into my world, and the file had corrupted with no backup found.

i managed to find an older world file from using TEdit, and while it was over a month and many bosses back, it had all of my stuff mostly in tact. fast forward to today (literally the next day, the world corruption was sunday), i was using the Builder's Workshop world to restore some of the placed items that got lost in my travel back through time, aaand my player file corrupted too; the character itself still showed up on the list, but it was the default guy, all my health and mana were gone, and i couldn't even load the character at all, as clicking on it did nothing.

is this something other people are noticing when using Steam Workshop worlds, or any other assets from Steam Workshop? is this my punishment for trying to get around paying tribute to the RNG gods of rare item drops?

i did some research and while it's been well documented that using steam cloud sync can sometimes corrupt world files, having this happen within one day of each other, after however many years of playing terraria, AND after using the same steam workshop world, seems way too huge a coincidence for the cloud sync corruption issue to be the only thing going on here. i had also turned off the cloud sync before i started playing, so i'm not sure how it would've caused the player file corruption to happen in the first place

Back
Top Bottom