PC [steam1.3.5.3] System.ArgumentException random crash

hello! i bought this game on steam, and when i want to play it with my friends, the game constantly crashes at different time, and made it nearly unplayable.
The time points includes when:
1. when i launch the game, and before the actual game window showed up;
2. when im on the character creation screen
3. when im on the character selection screen
4. when im trying to connect to my friend's server
all these crashes seems to game *same* error window, at least the exceptions are all InvalidArgument exception.

the error window was attaches below as a screenshot.

terraria_error.png

my PC specs: cpu: i5-2450m cpu, 2.5GHz
ram: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GT520m

xna version: 4.0, .NET version: 4.6.1

terraria logfiles are also attached below as image.

I have tried reinstalling XNA&.NET, deleting the config.json, verifying the game cache, or setting those files in the C:\windows\xna\****'s ownership into administrator nothing works.

please help, much appreciation.

log2.png

log1.png

Last edited:
First lets try something one other user has had success doing. Press start and then type cmd. Right click the result that pops up and click "Run as Administrator". When the black box pops up type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Once it finishes let me know what the black box said and if it fixed your issue.

First lets try something one other user has had success doing. Press start and then type cmd. Right click the result that pops up and click "Run as Administrator". When the black box pops up type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Once it finishes let me know what the black box said and if it fixed your issue.

it said the windows had found some of the corrupted files but failed to repair some of them.
the detailed information is stored in windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

shall i post the log file on?

The log file might help us yes, the failing to repair worries me. In the end we might need to reinstall windows if we can't get the corrupted files repaired.

Something I would also like you to check is to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.

Let me know if you need help doing this.

The log file might help us yes, the failing to repair worries me. In the end we might need to reinstall windows if we can't get the corrupted files repaired.

Something I would also like you to check is to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.

Let me know if you need help doing this.

here is the log file of system scanning.

the driver for video card is not latest, and this confuses me a lot. when i was searching for the solutions, i've seen people saying things like "dont update the drivers if you have an old graphic card since the latest drivers are designed for latest gpus and may have negative impact on older graphic cards." my graphic card is pretty old and incompetitive, but i think handling terraria is pretty fine for it since the fps was high enough when i got into the game(tho crashed out after a while). do i really need to update the driver?

Attachments

• CBS.log
    694.4 KB · Views: 90
Nvidia and AMD will usually segment there latest drivers from legacy drivers. When I say update your driver I merely mean the latest for your card, not the latest Nvidia has listed for their new cards.

All in all, we probably won't need to update the drivers if you're concerned about it. I just wanted to rule it out as an issue.

For now let's continue assuming it's related to the Windows file corruption and come back to the driver if needed. I'll take a look at this log file in the morning and let you know what I find.

Edit: @Noire_BlackHeart I've been looking over it and thinking about solutions, but I think the best course of action at this time would be to reinstall windows. This is a sure fire way to rid the corruption of the Windows files.

Are you familiar with how to do that or do you need assistance?

Last edited:
Nvidia and AMD will usually segment there latest drivers from legacy drivers. When I say update your driver I merely mean the latest for your card, not the latest Nvidia has listed for their new cards.

All in all, we probably won't need to update the drivers if you're concerned about it. I just wanted to rule it out as an issue.

For now let's continue assuming it's related to the Windows file corruption and come back to the driver if needed. I'll take a look at this log file in the morning and let you know what I find.

Edit: @Noire_BlackHeart I've been looking over it and thinking about solutions, but I think the best course of action at this time would be to reinstall windows. This is a sure fire way to rid the corruption of the Windows files.

Are you familiar with how to do that or do you need assistance?

i know how to reinstall windows since i installed this one myself, but i think the problem for one game isn't serious enough to reinstall the whole system, as I never had any problems using it except playing terraria. I would like to search for another solution. Thanks a lot for your help!

Yeah I totally understand let's see if we can find another solution. Let's assume that the problem has nothing to do with the Windows Corruption (which I still suggest you reinstall windows because leaving it corrupted could have negative impacts and implications in the future)

A bit of research indicates that some users have solved it by the following methods:

1. Run Terraria in Fullscreen. If you're already running it in Fullscreen try running it in Window.

2. Update your video drivers. (You've already expressed your concern with performing this solution. In all honesty it doesn't hurt to try it, and if you find it has a negative impact on performance you can always uninstall the driver and reinstall your current driver.)

3. If your laptop has hybrid graphics the problem can be caused when the laptop switches the video adapter while the game is running. To make sure that this won't happen you'll need to make sure Terraria is set to run with the dedicated GPU. To do this I'm going to borrow a tutorial by Lenovo to save some time. In addition, in the Windows Power Saving settings Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options you should be able to switch it to the Maximum Performance mode.

I would try those solutions to see if we can get the problem fixed.

Yeah I totally understand let's see if we can find another solution. Let's assume that the problem has nothing to do with the Windows Corruption (which I still suggest you reinstall windows because leaving it corrupted could have negative impacts and implications in the future)

A bit of research indicates that some users have solved it by the following methods:

1. Run Terraria in Fullscreen. If you're already running it in Fullscreen try running it in Window.

2. Update your video drivers. (You've already expressed your concern with performing this solution. In all honesty it doesn't hurt to try it, and if you find it has a negative impact on performance you can always uninstall the driver and reinstall your current driver.)

3. If your laptop has hybrid graphics the problem can be caused when the laptop switches the video adapter while the game is running. To make sure that this won't happen you'll need to make sure Terraria is set to run with the dedicated GPU. To do this I'm going to borrow a tutorial by Lenovo to save some time. In addition, in the Windows Power Saving settings Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options you should be able to switch it to the Maximum Performance mode.

I would try those solutions to see if we can get the problem fixed.

Thank you so much! running the game fullscreen seems to fix the problem, haven't experienced any crash for about 4 hours play time!

Back
Top Bottom