Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I found a bug during making a house - Stone Slab cannot be painted with Red Paint (the normal one, not the deep one, which is fine). I checked it in other worlds, with the same result. the paint is consumed, there is painting animation (you swin the paintbrush swing and particles of paint fly from the block). kinda annoying when you want to make a house with red roof made out of stone slab.

Welcome to the forums UbergHax!

To elaborate a bit on >>Terrarian<<'s post: Normal paints only change the colour hue of an object. If the object is on the greyscale spectrum (black, white, grey), you won't see much difference. Deep paints also change the colour saturation of an object. Saturation controls the amount of greyness in the colour. By increasing the saturation, you have have more colour.

The same applies to dyes. Normal dyes change the hue, bright dyes change the saturation.

If you've got a program like Paint.NET that has Hue / Saturation / Luminance sliders, you can play around with it to see what I mean. At a low saturation level down to zero, it doesn't matter what the hue is; it's still black, white or grey.
1625743654653.png

When you increase the saturation, you start getting colours you can change:
1625743744849.png

To elaborate a bit on >>Terrarian<<'s post: Normal paints only change the colour hue of an object. If the object is on the greyscale spectrum (black, white, grey), you won't see much difference. Deep paints also change the colour saturation of an object. Saturation controls the amount of greyness in the colour. By increasing the saturation, you have have more colour.

The same applies to dyes. Normal dyes change the hue, bright dyes change the saturation.

If you've got a program like Paint.NET that has Hue / Saturation / Luminance sliders, you can play around with it to see what I mean. At a low saturation level down to zero, it doesn't matter what the hue is; it's still black, white or grey.
View attachment 331674
View attachment 331678
I'm not the original poster, but thanks for explaining this, I've always wondered why some blocks don't paint well!

View attachment 331674
View attachment 331678
Good explanation, Sigma90! That was what I was wanting to say, but I simplified it. Thanks for that!

Back
Top Bottom