Weapons & Equip Stopped Clock - A time-freezing magic weapon

Your lord and savior Kooyah has provided you with a sprite (I incorporated the themes of Nebula gear and the Rod of Discord).
BruCYpO.png

I like the idea, and it's a surprisingly balanced utility. There's only one suggestion I have for this idea:
The range of this ability isn't specified, and could cause problems on multiplayer if the range is infinite (spreading across the entire world). Perhaps the item could create a large 'bubble', which stops any enemies/projectiles within it.

A more realistic way to approach this would be by stopping the enemies and projectiles in a medium (or small) area around the player, as it would be easier for balancing. Also the Negative / grayscale effect could work, though it would take up quite a bit of processing power to function properly and seamlessly.

Would it be possible to put in custom sounds for the stop/resume sfx? I'd like to make it sound like The World.

EDIT: Also, would it be possible to make this have infinite range in singleplayer, and a more reasonable area (like, for example, about 1.5x the size of the screen) in multiplayer?

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion: Why not make it so that bosses aren't frozen in place but rather slowed down. It could have more of a effect of Pre-hardmode bosses and less of an effect on The Hardmode bosses and almost no effect on the Moon lord. Because if the bosses were able to be affected by the Stopped Clock, it would seem kind of OP in the sense you could just use something like the clockwork rifle or a uzi while time is stopped and just shoot until you run out of mana or use the Stopped Clock again and basically take away a good chunk of the boss' health.

Last edited:
The concept of stopping enemies for a time seems very promising, but there are a few things that I'm concerned about.

If projectiles and spells would be frozen by this effect, it's expected that the player would attempt to create a barrage of attacks that would only be unleashed when the effect is ended. Stopping projectiles in such a way might be bad for damage if the attacks are piercing. If my understanding is correct, a piercing strike may only damage an enemy once every 1/6th of a second. If a user with the normal maximum of 200 Mana could freeze time for 10 seconds with a loss of 20 mana per second, they could easily have a part of their strikes go past the enemy rather than deal damage.

While time is frozen, the user cannot use mana potions, but what about mana regeneration granted by buffs or equipment? A set of Nebula armor might be able to regenerate past the loss of 20 mana per second with their mana boosters. 3 stacks of the Mana Booster would result in regeneration of 30 mana per second. Perhaps mana regeneration should be canceled for the user that is stopping time.

Negative colors might be a bit unpleasant to look at. Some of the most dangerous NPCs can spawn in dark areas such as caverns or during the night, which would result in very bright colors when converted into negative. It would be a very sudden change in brightness.

Finally, would the game's sound be slowed as well? It might be more impressive if even the soundtrack were to be altered by the Stopped Clock.

A more realistic way to approach this would be by stopping the enemies and projectiles in a medium (or small) area around the player, as it would be easier for balancing. Also the Negative / grayscale effect could work, though it would take up quite a bit of processing power to function properly and seamlessly.
I'm tottally going to spa this and crash my game xD I always have too much fun with new weapons...

lots of words

I see what you mean there, I think mana regen should also be stopped during time stop, for balancing reasons, and I'd say for the colors it should either be an some sort option, or just have different watches, all crafted the same way, that have their own visual, so if you want greyscale or negative you can choose. Also, I think it would be great if the game's music also stopped (or slowed down a lot) during the stopped time.

The concept of stopping enemies for a time seems very promising, but there are a few things that I'm concerned about.

If projectiles and spells would be frozen by this effect, it's expected that the player would attempt to create a barrage of attacks that would only be unleashed when the effect is ended. Stopping projectiles in such a way might be bad for damage if the attacks are piercing. If my understanding is correct, a piercing strike may only damage an enemy once every 1/6th of a second. If a user with the normal maximum of 200 Mana could freeze time for 10 seconds with a loss of 20 mana per second, they could easily have a part of their strikes go past the enemy rather than deal damage.

While time is frozen, the user cannot use mana potions, but what about mana regeneration granted by buffs or equipment? A set of Nebula armor might be able to regenerate past the loss of 20 mana per second with their mana boosters. 3 stacks of the Mana Booster would result in regeneration of 30 mana per second. Perhaps mana regeneration should be canceled for the user that is stopping time.

Negative colors might be a bit unpleasant to look at. Some of the most dangerous NPCs can spawn in dark areas such as caverns or during the night, which would result in very bright colors when converted into negative. It would be a very sudden change in brightness.

Finally, would the game's sound be slowed as well? It might be more impressive if even the soundtrack were to be altered by the Stopped Clock.
The former would only be an issue with piercing weapons, so, for example, it would actually work really well with weapons such as the Chain Gun, which don't pierce and fire very quickly.

Stopped Clock

Crafted With:

1 Fast Clock
10 Luminite Bars
10 Nebula Fragments
10 Vortex Fragments

Stops time, freezing all enemies and projectiles in place. All colors on screen change to a negative effect. Any projectiles you throw or shoot also freeze in place until the effect ends, after which they resume their normal trajectory.

Drains mana at a rate of 20/sec. The effect ends when you run out of mana or you use the Clock again.

While time is frozen, you gain the "Time Stop" debuff until time is unfrozen. You cannot use Mana Potions while the "Time Stop" debuff is active.

After time is unfrozen, you gain the "Paradox" debuff for 10 seconds. The Stopped Clock does not work while the "Paradox" debuff is active.

In multiplayer, this item does not work on other players. This item also does not work on bosses.

The "Time Stop" and "Paradox" debuffs are there to prevent indefinite spamming of the Stopped Clock through use of Mana Flower or Potions. Similar to the Rod of Discord, I can see how this item can get out of hand without some checks and balances to it.

So, what do you think?
That'd be awesome. I'll use it all the time

YES! This is a wonderful idea, and balanced too! Imagine what you could do in conjunction with Rod of Discord! Anyways, lots of support!

My only problem would be how this would work in PvP and on Bosses. In those cases it would be ridiculously broken.

The suggestion sounds neat and all, but the way it is drained is an issue. It draining mana punishes mages, but everybody else can use it with the only worry being paradox.

It could also do something like lower speed, health, or defense (up to about 50 before the excess would cease to hurt summoner) as an alternative.

Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom