PC Strange Plant Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm a Raptor

Plantera
So we've now got a second NPC utilising the quest mechanic! The thing is, the Dye Trader does give out quests, rather he rewards you for finding these extremely rare Strange Plants.

I personally haven't found a single Strange Plant yet, and I've played 1.3 for a solid 47 hours since release.

Has anyone got a reliable way of finding these? The Dye Trader gives some sweet looking dyes as rewards, and there's only a small chance of getting what you'd like, which is even smaller given the rarity of these plants. The wiki page says to build a large dirt skyway, which I've done (1998 blocks is enough), and nothing's popped up yet.

I've only found one in the first 1.3 world I made, haven't seen a single one since.
I've made 4 dirt skybridges almost half the length of a medium world, explored various newly created worlds, removed grass on top of my main 1.3 world(With the skybridges) and looked through the whole jungle annd not a single one to be found.. they're way too rare right now.

I was making a dirt skybridge (which i turned to grass for bait before finding the strange plants) and on the half I DIDN'T grass (near the end of it's grassing, though) I found two strange plants. It was even on a pre-1.3 world. They're crazy rare, but...possible to find, i guess? ;-; I want those dyes though, so yeah.

I heard they can't grow too close to other plants that are used for dye. So, I would always remove those plants on the surface when you pass them.
The yellow flowers grow like mad. I found my only one a couple of days ago and I am still using it.
I would need a gif to show you how cool it was.

I heard they can't grow too close to other plants that are used for dye. So, I would always remove those plants on the surface when you pass them.
The yellow flowers grow like mad. I found my only one a couple of days ago and I am still using it.
I would need a gif to show you how cool it was.

According to Yoraiz0r, they don't grow within 350 blocks of another dye related plant.
Also, which one did you get?

No luck at all with those things until last night I found one after cleaning grass in my small world from NORMAL dye plants (blueberries, yellow blabla and sky blue flower), in the other thread about strange plants everyone say that they found a lot of them in floating islands, so there's this hypothesis about strange plants spawning more often in high altitudes, so everyone is trying long dirt sky bridges (no grass) and it seems to work, but for me I've only achieved to make blinkroot in those bridges, it seems to be something about the world size, I don't know

Found one on my normal 1.3 world after looking for worms and fishing bait. Wasn't sure what it was, but the orange colored name told me it was important, so I stored it. Haven't seen one since.

No luck at all with those things until last night I found one after cleaning grass in my small world from NORMAL dye plants (blueberries, yellow blabla and sky blue flower), in the other thread about strange plants everyone say that they found a lot of them in floating islands, so there's this hypothesis about strange plants spawning more often in high altitudes, so everyone is trying long dirt sky bridges (no grass) and it seems to work, but for me I've only achieved to make blinkroot in those bridges, it seems to be something about the world size, I don't know
I'm considering making a small world just so that I can farm for them, because the dyes are so cool looking, but you get a random set each time.
It isn't fun placing 2000 blocks, to be honest.

I wonder, how would work filling your world with a terrain where no normal dye plants grow as snow or filling the world with corrup grass, and making a skybridge with dirt and without grass

I was very curious about this myself. I created a new world and built 3 different dirt layouts. The first was a simple skybridge about 900 blocks long. The second was a layout probably about 70+ blocks long layered with 3 block spaces between them until I had used 900 blocks. The third was about 300 blocks long with 3 layers each having 5 blocks of space between them. I then made sure I was a good distance away so they could grow, I went down a hellevator to 1700' (on a large world) and waited the average time I see people say they take to spawn for them on a skybridge (15 minutes). I waited 15 minutes and went back to the surface. No strange plants had grew. I then went back down to 1700' and waited for 30 minutes and again, no strange plants grew. I then went all the way down to hell at about 3600' and waited for about an hour and 8 minutes, returned to the surface and found yet again, no strange plants. Either these are extremely rare, we are not farming them efficiently or there are other steps that need to be taken to grow them efficiently. My next step is to take the world into hardmode and try these steps again, I will post my results in this thread should anything actually grow.

I've found two thus far and gotten Acid Blue and Reflective Metal dye (The latter of which really makes the Obsidian Armor look like Van Helsing clothing! :3)

Found one, finally.

They CAN spawn in space.

RTEnX9t.png

Edit: found a second as well, 346 surface. This supports the notion that they simply require a lot of distance between themselves and any other dye-related plants. The problem, I think, is that because of this mechanic they're being drowned out by dye plants, which are more plentiful. That's the reason why people are finding them as soon as they create the world/in sky islands. In the first instance, they haven't been crowded out by dye plants yet. In the second, dye plants are simply much less likely to crowd them out.

Edit 2: Finding them regularly now. It's the dye plants, as others have suspected. Nuke everything until your dirt bridges are several hundred blocks away from any possible dye plants. I did 350-400 (700-800 feet on the GPS), but less might have been needed.

took it from this thread http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/on-strange-plants.21781/page-6#post-597002

If anybody finds a way to duplicate these plants or an effective farming method, please share it here or somewhere on the forums. I'm sure we would all much appreciate it.

I've only heard about them recently and been obsessed about what I could get with them (I'm playing blind so I dont quite know what else)

I had 2 strange plants in all, one I found, the other my partner did. I even searched through the surface of about 5 large worlds, never seen since.

If anybody finds a way to duplicate these plants or an effective farming method, please share it here or somewhere on the forums. I'm sure we would all much appreciate it.
I very much agree. I'd love to see some efficient/reliable way of getting them!

They only seem to spawn on brand new worlds once for me. I tried the dirt bridge in the sky (700+ feet up) and left the game open for hours and no new plants spawned, not even in the spot I flagged. I figured that if they only spawned 700feet away from eachother and other dye plants, then the spot I found one in is a good spot to spawn another. Still nothing.

For the time being I am grabbing any and all dye plants I see underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom