Strategies for the Martian Saucer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

Headless Horseman
I literally died eight times trying to destroy this thing.
What is your best strategy?, loadout ect.
Near the end of the invasion I finally killed one using my base as cover :cool:
NsrhyVw.png

Best mount in teh game

Best strategy I can offer is get a decent aoe weapon for your preferred combat style, or Phantasm if you're an archer, and quickly get it into phase 2, where it spams its deathbeam. That phase, at first glance, seemed really hard, but the saucer ALWAYS tries, with each beam attack, to go INFRONT of you, and head back to you, so if you swap directions, it will never catch you. From there, you can take it down as you please, it doesn't have "too" much health.

It's nothing more than The Destroyer inverted, except, and I haven't checked, you might not be able to just shoot through a single block hole. Which doesn't matter, because any of the overpowered yo-yo's the game just starts throwing at you in hardmode will suffice to kill it when slung around the platform which is above you instead of under.

You can completely faceroll the saucer with a bunch of solid blocks and a yo-yo with enough range and DPS to kill it without you getting bored before it dies. And I mean just that. You could give a decent yo-yo to a naked new character and they could get this job done. At least the Destroyer poops out adds that float through blocks and have to be dealt with. If you build a block shield the Saucer is rendered utterly impotent.

Actually stepping out and fighting the Saucer is a fool's errand.

Well, I tried flying around it... that worked for a while...
I still haven't made the yoyo bag, my yoyos don't travel far.

Well, I tried flying around it... that worked for a while...
I still haven't made the yoyo bag, my yoyos don't travel far.

Nah man, I had no yo-yo accessories at all. I used an Eye of Cthulhu yo-yo because of the thousands of Mothrons that ruined my damn life, but a Kraken or Hel-Fire easily have the range for it. Just a white string made with a handful of cobweb gets enough range for any other one though.

You are literally just standing under a block roof and slinging a yo-yo out and around it into the air.

weaksaucesaucertime.jpg

I didn't even change my base. It's not even optimal. I just throw a yo-yo out the window and beat the saucer to death in utter safety like a total a-hole.

Nah man, I had no yo-yo accessories at all. I used an Eye of Cthulhu yo-yo because of the thousands of Mothrons that ruined my damn life, but a Kraken or Hel-Fire easily have the range for it. Just a white string made with a handful of cobweb gets enough range for any other one though.

You are literally just standing under a block roof and slinging a yo-yo out and around it into the air.

View attachment 62488

I didn't even change my base. It's not even optimal. I just throw a yo-yo out the window and beat the saucer to death in utter safety like a total a-hole.

This - All you need is protection against the small mobs below you and a row of blocks on top of your head and the saucer can't do sh*t

I like to use a blizzard staff (Daedalus Stormbow might work too) and take cover under a thick overhang and place blocks to box me in.

To actually DODGE it, you more or less have to either use platforms or flutter with wings left and right. When it sweeps right at you, walk right a few steps, it should turn the beam off and pass over head. Then it moves left for you. Walk left a bit and the beam turns off and it passes overhead.

Once you get the rythym, the only threat to you are other martians and sparks leaking off it. It's not an EASY fight, but it has ways to be beaten.

I stay in an enclosed box/house and use Star Wrath/Solar Eruption/Lunar Flare to hit it. None of its attacks will get you, bar the explosions from the missile attack.

Having a ceiling to stop the death laser is more or less mandatory.
Then use something that goes through or around walls, or at least find some good timing with the peeking-out-of-cover thing.

I mostly fly around the map hitting it with my Possesed Hatchet (you could probably use any homing weapon, but I use a melee setup). During the second stage I spam the Master Ninja Gear to dodge the super-fast laser - when it gets too close to me I wait until it stops shooting and dodge the other way.

That's probably a bit too overcomplicated, just taking cover and hitting it with a yoyo would be fine. But doing it legitimately is a lot more fun!

The sad thing is - I killed about 10-15 of them and didn't get a single Cosmic Car Key... but that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom