1. For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TCF will be undergoing a scheduled software and server upgrade on September 26, 2019 beginning at 9:00AM GMT. TCF may be unavailable for an extended period after this time. More information can be found here. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, we will try to keep the downtime short.

Streamlined Ideas: Fishing For Convenience

Discussion in 'Other' started by AntithesisEK, May 20, 2015.

1. AntithesisEK

AntithesisEK Golem

Net Simplification

There have been many times where I've entered into a new world with an abundance of critters, breakable rocks and bait for fishing surrounding me. Yet there's nothing to do to with them because I have no Bug Net. I'd have to first build a space for the Merchant to spawn, or if it is a brand new character I first need fifty silver to trigger his arrival and then buy the net for one gold. While none of this is difficult to accomplish, it does feel like the progression for fishing is really inconvenient. So to simplify the process, why not introduce a crafted net?

Basic Net

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] x10 [​IMG] x12
    Requires any crafting table.

It seemed odd to me that you can craft a Wooden Pole before you can even acquire bait. With this simple change, it's possible catch critters as you explore to start collecting and fishing much sooner. While this could replace the purchased net, it doesn't have to. Having access to both options adds some variety.

Vessel Clouds

The Sky 'biome' is pretty empty. Floating Islands right now are very limited in content and resources. There is also the tedious matter of trying to fish in the sky. Calming potions are valuable for building but making a viable pool requires some luck with world generation (or a whole lot of buckets). Because the sky has plenty of room and there's an inconvenience to remedy, I propose..

[​IMG]
    Vessel Clouds - These hypothetical storm clouds that would appear at world creation are ideal for setting up fishing spots and increasing the amount of Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks available in a single world. Depending on their quantity they'd also be excellent for building on to or flying between floating islands. Or..

Because I was inspired by Snickerbobble's Hallowed Island suggestion, if the sky biome is ever expanded into Sky Archipelagos, chains of floating islands, here is an example of a massive vessel cloud looming over a fragment.

[​IMG]

That's it for now! Do you think this would help streamline your playing experience? It would certainly help mine.

2. MarioKart7z

MarioKart7z Plantera

Yes! Support! i'd LOVE to make an house on one of those giant vessel clouds! And with sky archipelagos, building sky towns would no longer be so hard... and they would be more beautiful anyways

AntithesisEK likes this.
  3. Varsia

Varsia Spazmatism

Never really done too much fishing, to be honest.
    I tried once, and I never got anything.
    So, I guess I can support, purely because I want to get loads of scorpions early on, and the vessel clouds look really cool.
    That, and I can trick my friend into building a house below one, and flood it to death.

AntithesisEK likes this.
  4. Flor3nce2456

Flor3nce2456 Pixel Pirate

Absolutely love it. Full support!

AntithesisEK likes this.
  5. Brick Creeper

Brick Creeper Skeletron Prime

Oh my gosh! This would fix a lot of my fishing frustration! Support! :D

AntithesisEK likes this.
  6. CraftedNightmare Here!

CraftedNightmare Here! Official Terrarian

HAWL YEAH! Full support!

AntithesisEK likes this.
  7. LoveSpreader

LoveSpreader Terrarian

Our Laputa is near! Rejoice!

AntithesisEK likes this.
  8. Nobody Important

Nobody Important Terrarian

I admit, those vessel clouds look pretty cool. I'm not that much of a fisherman in terraria but as a builder this appeals to me. Now I'm trying to come up with aquatic enemies for the sky biome.

9. AntithesisEK

AntithesisEK Golem

I forgot to say, I really appreciate the positive feedback!

Can we start up a petition for a Steampunk Bi-Plane flying mount? :happy:

10. Nobody Important

You want it? You got it. If you would like to add it to your proposal tell me, otherwise I will add it to my biome expansion.

11. AntithesisEK

AntithesisEK Golem

Go ahead and add it to yours. Your idea sounds interesting.

Nobody Important likes this.
  12. Nobody Important

It's funny how many ideas I got from you, thanks!

The sky pirates loot is almost complete by the way.

Because of a few people the sky will no longer be filler material. That sounds excellent.

13. Fortanono

Fortanono Retinazer

I think that the Basic Net can capture bugs and such, but the old Bug Net should be the only one able to catch Bunnies, Squirrels, Penguins, etc.

14. iDuck

iDuck Golem

Actually, half of your suggestion was confirmed for 1.3!

They are called "Sky Lakes."

AntithesisEK likes this.
  15. AntithesisEK

AntithesisEK Golem

Yes I saw. I was quite pleased to see that. Yet, I think it was merely a convergent thought and not actually influenced by this suggestion.

My work is inadvertently done here :cool: