Blocks & Decoration Subspace Scanner Station & Tricorders

Teh Manticore

Terrarian
The Subspace Scanner Station and the Tricorder are used by endgame players to find materials and equipment anywhere in the game world. It's an incredibly valuable item to expert builders, tinkers, and those that remember they had something but can't remember where they put it (me! me! me!).

The Subspace Scanner Station is a furniture item sold by the Cyborg for 1 platinum. The Tricorder is also sold for 20g, or alternatively upgraded from the Cell Phone and Martian Plates at the Tinker workshop.

Install the station and using a tricorder left or right click on the station to open a text box pane. Type in the name of any object and press enter. This sets your Tricorder to scan for that item.

When you hold your Tricorder, a directional arrow appears pointing in the direction of the nearest instance of that item, including inside chests. The length of the arrow indicates distance. Right click to scan again for the nearest instance. Re-use the Subspace Scanner Station to change the item your're looking for. Never lose an item again!

A cute way of making the pointer arrow work is by having to hold down the mouse button to use the tricorder and "spray paint" the air around you in a circle. Faint neon signal particles appear in the air where you hold the mouse, but they thicken in the direction of the item into an indicator arrow. It would be like using a black light to reveal blood stains or a geiger counter to detect radiation, but in this case, you're gradually revealing the strongest signals from the item in the air by "scanning" your environment. The particles would fade over x seconds (a minute?) and would turn invisible when you switch to other items.

I just want to say one thing: This is the section for Blocks and Decorations, and even if your suggestion is related to this I must say, with all due respect, that your suggestion refers to an equipment if I'm not wrong.
That is, your suggestion is in the wrong section and the right section for this suggestion is the Equipment section.
Sorry for bothering you.
Otherwise I really liked your idea.

I just want to say one thing: This is the section for Blocks and Decorations, and even if your suggestion is related to this I must say, with all due respect, that your suggestion refers to an equipment if I'm not wrong.
That is, your suggestion is in the wrong section and the right section for this suggestion is the Equipment section.
Sorry for bothering you.
Hi there @TerrarianGamer0527, if you think a thread is in the wrong section, please use the Report feature and suggest what section you think it goes in instead of posting in the thread. :) The original poster cannot move the post themselves, but if it gets reported the forum staff can move it. Please keep this in mind as I believe this has been requested of you before. Thanks.

In looking over this thread I’d say that it’s fine in the Blocks and Decorations section (for “suggestions related to blocks, walls, crafting stations, furniture, decorative items, and generally all placeable game items”), and isn’t a good fit for the Equipment section (for “various types of equipable items, such as weapons, tools, armor, accessories, and vanities”) so I’ll leave it here.

Sorry for bothering you.
Glad to hear it! I also like how getting it from the Cyborg and before the Moon Lord means it would be really valuable to finding any pieces you're missing to upgrade your gear and accessories. If you're struggling with the Pillars or Moon Lord, the Station and Tricorder would be excellent tools and clues to upgrading your gear.

And I can see what made you question what forum to put it under. Initially the idea was only a Subspace Scanner Station furniture item that you'd install and would provide the buff for the directional arrow by itself. Then later as I was typing it I added the Tricorder idea because it's such a cute tool idea, very fitting, and makes for logical upgrade to the cell phone.

I'm glad it's staying here as the function of using a station to set the scan item is at the core of the idea. The Tricorder doesn't even need to be added, it could all be done through the Subspace Scanner Station. Of course, if any dev or modder implemented it, they could do so in any number of ways.

Back
Top Bottom