Game Mechanics Suggestion about minecarts

Skeltinon

Steampunker
Hello there Terrarians :dryadhappy:

I'm back with some new idea. When minecarts were added to Terraria (patch 1.2.4) it was fantastic, right? Ability to tour the map sitting in minecart and wrecking pesky enemies. But I found some flaw(s). Jumping in minecart is... boring. Nothing fancy here. Sure it does its job, but I thought it can be a lot funnier. Here is my idea: while riding in minecart you can jump and then rotate backward or forward!

Information

rotate backward.png
rotate forward.png

While in air you can hold left arrow key to flip minecart backward or hold right arrow key to flip minecart forward (controls when riding to the right; reversed when riding to the left). Full flip will take about 0,5 - 1,5 seconds (depends on minecart type). Pretty simple. But wait there is more - you can get:
  • bad landing
  • normal landing
or
  • perfect landing

• To get bad landing you need to land upside down (ouch). After that landing you decelerate quite a bit.
  • To get normal landing you don't need to do much. You don't even need to rotate to land normally. After that landing nothing happens, just like now in Terraria.
  • To get perfect landing you need to do at least one flip and land exactly on minecart's wheels. It will be rather difficult. After that landing you accelerate. If you already had maximum speed you will still going at full speed anyway.
I'm not planning giving extra rewards for doing sick stunts in the air, but this feature could work well with upcoming achievement system in Terraria 1.3.

Achievement examples
(successfully means getting normal or perfect landing)

• Master steering - get 5 perfect landings in a row
  • Practice makes perfect - get all landings in one ride
  • The high-performance driving - land your first 360° flip
  • Stuntman - successfully land a 1080°flip
  • Improvisation - successfully land one backflip and one frontflip done in single jump
  • Weee! - spend at least 5 seconds in the air straight
  • Edit 1: Now flip takes 1 second (down from 1,5 seconds).
  • Edit 2: Time needed to flip changed to 0,5 - 1,5 seconds (depends on minecart used). New achievement added.

Thats all for now. Hope you understand it.

Last edited:
A flip should takebetween .5 and .75 seconds. Jumps are shorter than they feel. Don't believe me? Put a stopwatch by your screen and see how long your average jump is.

Last edited:
A flip should take .75 seconds. Jumps are shorter than they feel. Don't believe me? Put a stopwatch by your screen and see how long your average jump is.
Thats correct. I have similar solution: flip takes around 1 second now and it will also depend on which minecart you are using (some will flip faster, some will flip slightly slower).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom