Game Mechanics Suggestion: Allow Corruption to be toggled on or off

beancounter

Terrarian
I suggest that there should be an option in the settings menu to toggle the corruption on or off at the players discretion.

Many other games allow you to toggle features. For example, in another game, I can turn "world events" on or off in the settings menu.

IMHO, the corruption is effectively a timer, and I would rather do things at my own pace. I know that there is a mod available that can shut off corruption, but it doesn't work for me. I'd rather the developers build it into the game.

this is a self benefit suggestion while i understand it's frustrating to deal with the corruption and spotting manifestations but its a core mechanic so Terraria isn't just fighting hornets that are pure suffering in expert.
Trust me its actually easy to deal with, provided you can beat a mechanical boss fast enough and have a good pickaxe. dig tunnels roughly every 60 blocks or so around that manifestation and glide down with featherfall potion while spraying it's easy

All said ... dealing with corruption might be a tad bit too much of a pain in the butt.

I wish it was easier. Even with end-game equipment and wiki levels of knowledge, it's still a bit of a hit and miss. The "V" spread is the worst because it goes all the way to hell and they are diagonal - which makes tunneling and walling up less straight forward; heaven help you if they intersect something like the dungeon or temple.

Not to mention, unless you open up the map in a map editor, you don't really have any idea what the "shape" is.

Journey Mode already has this feature, among others. It wouldn’t make sense to incorporate that into the other world mode variants
Journey mode is creative mode. There is zero challenge playing that mode, only grind.

Don't tell me to "just not use the 'cheat' features". Using that logic, all we need is Journey mode no? The other modes can be safely deleted since you can emulate them in Journey mode by using the right settings.

The V of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson is very predictable. I normally take precautions to protect spawn before defeating the WOF with two simple vertical tunnels each side of spawn.

When it come to the biomes created at world generation, they aren't usually that bad to quarantine. A vertical tunnel each side and a horizontal one underneath does the job. Mining potion can help with that. Or even sticky dynamite.

Avoiding smashing alters will also help a lot. Ores can be gathered other ways once you enter hard mode.

Once you have the Steampunker and some platinum, holding back C/C becomes trivial. Unless you're going for purity, clearing all C/C is unnecessary.

The V of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson is very predictable. I normally take precautions to protect spawn before defeating the WOF with two simple vertical tunnels each side of spawn.
It's not just spawn you have to protect though. You have to protect the jungle, your deserts & tundra (you will still want some uncontaminated), the 2 oceans. Hell, you would want some uncontaminated regular underground & cavern layer areas too.

Can it be done? Of course. Is it a bit too much of a PITA? To me, yes.

It's not just spawn you have to protect though. You have to protect the jungle, your deserts & tundra (you will still want some uncontaminated), the 2 oceans. Hell, you would want some uncontaminated regular underground & cavern layer areas too.

Can it be done? Of course. Is it a bit too much of a PITA? To me, yes.
You can easily Clentaminate the corrupted areas once you have enough money. The Jungle is the only irreversibile corruption, but it takes a lot to corrupt unless it got caught in the V.

You can easily Clentaminate the corrupted areas once you have enough money. The Jungle is the only irreversibile corruption, but it takes a lot to corrupt unless it got caught in the V.
Depends on how widespread the corruption gets and the geometry of the area. Miss one block and it will be recorrupted in no time.

I had a hell of a time cleaning the underground tundra in one of my worlds.

tbh i was thinking of the dryad potentially revealing manifestations on the map could be marked by a icon or something.
a issue i have experienced is missing that one little block allowing it to infect once again i thought of goggles that points it out like the dangersense potion but i considered that it would affect performance in dense areas.

The irreversible corruption of the Jungle really is the worst part for me. All they'd need to do is add a Clentaminator solution that converts dirt to mud and all grasses to Jungle grass and I'd be happy. Maybe it could be crafted with Chlorophyte and bottled water at a Crystal Ball?

tbh i was thinking of the dryad potentially revealing manifestations on the map could be marked by a icon or something.
a issue i have experienced is missing that one little block allowing it to infect once again i thought of goggles that points it out like the dangersense potion but i considered that it would affect performance in dense areas.
That would be a great alternative. Corruption would be much more manageable if we had accurate data as to where it is so we can eliminate it as desired.

Maybe give areas on the map affected by corruption a "changing" color - e.g. corruption/crimison = purple to red and back, hallow = pink to white and back. Should be less intensive and more scalable than icons ... I think.

Last edited:
I don't know why you would want a button to turn off one of the game's oldest game mechanics.
I guess, he just didn't enjoy it because he found it overwhelming and would like to tone down that aspect of the game - without throwing the baby out with the bathwater via Journey mode.

Personally I was fine with it on initial playthrough but our inability to reliably tame it even at end game is starting to grate. I mean I kill a god for heaven sakes ... I should be the master of my universe.

Such as it is, biome spread is part of the game and a really inconsequential one at that. But if the world could be made invincible to it I'd have much less attachment to my worlds. It's an illusion of a threat that makes me want to defend my world like a baby.
But this is a non issue. Just turn it off in Journey. The mode specifically designed to let you customise parts of the game you hate.
But I like the idea of making the dryad tell you where it's spreading.
Using that logic, all we need is Journey mode no?
Yeah actually. There is absolutely no reason not to play on Journey. Except when you're a fresh player and unaccustomed to the proper balance of the game.

Yeah actually. There is absolutely no reason not to play on Journey. Except when you're a fresh player and unaccustomed to the proper balance of the game.
How would it impact the new player? Just turn up the settings and they are done. No?

The problem with Journey mode IMHO is that "constraints make the game" and there are no constraints in Journey mode - e.g. money earned is "worthless" since you can duplicate it easily. There is no motivation to build farms of any sort. Combat arena? Just turn on God mode and face tank the boss.

It's less of a game and more of an application like MS Word - which is fine if you just want to create. Yet it isn't really much of either ... you have to grind access to blocks and other stuff which will no doubt frustrate creatives. For regular players, it's just a bore of a grind due to the lack of depth - because it is really just a straight grind with no challenge nor ingenuity required.

Worst of both worlds IMHO and another case of Re-Logic being stubborn - instead of just giving players exactly what they asked for, they think they know better; another instance would be the accessory slot change ... they banned specific items from the vanity slots because they didn't like players using the vanity slots as "quick swap" inventory but provide no replacement functionality, the end result is just everyone now having a worse quality of life for no good reason.

Back to the corruption, it's a constraint but is one that can be considered a tad too much - i.e. it's imbalance. Can be too difficult to beat back in certain circumstances - pLaYiNg "FiNd tHe lAsT CoRrUpT BlOcK I MiSsEd" Is sO MuCh fUn - that you can't even reassure the OP of this thread that he can fixed the corruption later and be just fine. For late game players, it's just a bother that they have dealt with for the umpteenth time and are quite sick of dealing with.

Last edited:
Journey mode has this, and the spread isnt really a timer, its sonething that you need to keep tabs on and manage

How would it impact the new player? Just turn up the settings and they are done. No?

The problem with Journey mode IMHO is that "constraints make the game" and there are no constraints in Journey mode - e.g. money earned is "worthless" since you can duplicate it easily. There is no motivation to build farms of any sort. Combat arena? Just turn on God mode and face tank the boss.

It's less of a game and more of an application like MS Word - which is fine if you just want to create. Yet it isn't really much of either ... you have to grind access to blocks and other stuff which will no doubt frustrate creatives. For regular players, it's just a bore of a grind due to the lack of depth - because it is really just a straight grind with no challenge nor ingenuity required.

Worst of both worlds IMHO and another case of Re-Logic being stubborn - instead of just giving players exactly what they asked for, they think they know better; another instance would be the accessory slot change ... they banned specific items from the vanity slots because they didn't like players using the vanity slots as "quick swap" inventory but provide no replacement functionality, the end result is just everyone now having a worse quality of life for no good reason.

Back to the corruption, it's a constraint but is one that can be considered a tad too much - i.e. it's imbalance. Can be too difficult to beat back in certain circumstances - pLaYiNg "FiNd tHe lAsT CoRrUpT BlOcK I MiSsEd" Is sO MuCh fUn - that you can't even reassure the OP of this thread that he can fixed the corruption later and be just fine. For late game players, it's just a bother that they have dealt with for the umpteenth time and are quite sick of dealing with.
You can simply not use these features.
The game can be played perfectly normally with Journey. Its not like Minecraft's Creative which makes you invincible. Its only a "grind" if you make it one.
And in this very case Re-logic does know better. The vanity slot change is inconsistency and sucks but Corruption spread never truly being stoppable (unless you go on big undertakings to physically seperate biomes, which also makes me feel more invested in my worlds) is healthy for the game. Is it flawless? Hell no, the Surface Jungle can be ruined irreversably. But its better to have it.
Does it make the game worse for you? Perhaps. I know it makes it better for me. And hey, they added a mode just in case you disagree with their design. The mode I personally exclusively play on, since it lets me disagree with their design of how :red:ing loud rain is, and not once have I touched duplication or god mode.

You can simply not use these features.
The game can be played perfectly normally with Journey. Its not like Minecraft's Creative which makes you invincible. Its only a "grind" if you make it one.
And in this very case Re-logic does know better. The vanity slot change is inconsistency and sucks but Corruption spread never truly being stoppable (unless you go on big undertakings to physically seperate biomes, which also makes me feel more invested in my worlds) is healthy for the game. Is it flawless? Hell no, the Surface Jungle can be ruined irreversably. But its better to have it.
Does it make the game worse for you? Perhaps. I know it makes it better for me. And hey, they added a mode just in case you disagree with their design. The mode I personally exclusively play on, since it lets me disagree with their design of how :red:ing loud rain is, and not once have I touched duplication or god mode.
Personally I feel we need more tools to control it - i.e. it needs to be more controllable, with less effort.

Can we control it now? Yes.
Is it a huge enough of a PITA that I don't want to start a new world and have to do it all over again? Also yes. [1]

I have already explain why Journey mode is a no-go. Nothing means anything in Journey mode.
Other modes exist for a reason. People want them. Do we really need a hardcore character mode? We can just delete our characters when we die, right? Yet we have a hardcore character mode ...

[1] Kind of sucks that the main world I played on, my very first world, is now "obsolete". No oasis. No fairies. No Gelatin Crystals. And it appears they changed the "invasion range" such that my arena is now too far from my base to allow invasions to still function. I thought about start over on a large Master mode world ... but nah. Too much work. Really doesn't help that I can't "blueprint" my current design and just paste it in the new world - instead I would have to freaking build it block by block all over again.

Personally I feel we need more tools to control it - i.e. it needs to be more controllable, with less effort.
Maybe pylons could be used to keep away biome spread like the TO trailers. Toggle between their teleportation function and this new "ward".

I have already explain why Journey mode is a no-go.
I also explained why its perfectly suitable.
Personally I could not care less. They add a consumable moon lord drop to stop biome spread? Sure, I would simply not use it (though it being made this trivial would be sad.). But the game is over, spread is here to stay, and you're only shooting yourself in the foot by not playing the very mode designed to give people the means to customise their experience however they wish, after the discontinuation of the game's development, and instead asking for something that went unimplemented for the literal decade long lifespan of this game.

Last edited:
They add a consumable moon lord drop to stop biome spread?
Not a bad idea but it's bit of a cheap solution though. I rather we given better tools to contain the corruption.

But the game is over, spread is here to stay, and you're only shooting yourself in the foot by not playing the very mode designed to give people the means to customise their experience however they wish, after the discontinuation of the game's development, and instead asking for something that went unimplemented for the literal decade long lifespan of this game.
Journey mode is basically throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I don't see why I shouldn't ask for something. There no harm in asking.

Why do you care if I ask for stuff anyway. As you said, you can just don't use whatever tools they add. Right?

Back
Top Bottom