Suggestion: Back to Top

LoM2

Retinazer
Very short, simple suggestion here. Came about after I kept getting annoyed from reading thread replies, getting an alert and repeatedly going back to the top of the page.

Add a Back to Top button that appears when the alerts bar isn't visible. (A back to bottom button might be helpful too.)

That's all, nothing but a small convenience for some of us. Good day.

So much am I missing Chokladkakan's TO extension. Would be amazing if some plugin expert did the same for us here at TCF. It had functions like this and more.
Apparently I started on it without even knowing. Having never heard of the extension, I've made myself a method to navigate pages w/ arrow keys.

That said, may as well finish what I started. The extension looks/sounds fun to recreate, and I'll probably see if I can throw in other useful features (aka take suggestions because I'm lazy with coming up with new features). I'll see what I can do with it, probably a full rewrite. Tomorrow though, cause it's too late, but to be safe, I'll set some reminders so I don't forget.

Let me know how that progresses and if you need testers @Everest.

Would like to make it prominent if it works, as we did with Chok's.

For now, "home" and "end" keys work for this feature - if you are at a keyboard.

So I've made a good amount of progress.

07b1b35430.png

Note: inaccurate version number, probably like 1.0.27

6f6354d9af.png

I liked the look of Augmented TO's settings so much that I stole it's css :D If I get a good idea for a new style, I'll be sure to implement it, but for now I'm focused on finding bugs and actually making features.

In the case you can't read all the currently implemented features (and their default option states) in the settings screenshot, I'll list 'em here (edit: now there's two new features not in that screenshot)
  • General Features
    • HTTPS to HTTP: Since I remembered that there had been some complaints of problems with randomly getting switched to https, and the fact I needed a script for testing everything at the start with, I made this. Simple enough, if you're trying to connect to the forums with a https connection, it'll just make it http.
    • Arrow Key Navigation: This allows you to use the left and right arrow keys to go to the previous/next page of convos and threads.
    • Fixed Menu: (Now that I think of it, I should change the name, it seems misleading) What this does is, once your browser goes past your Inbox & Alerts, the whole top menu becomes "fixed" to the top of the dom. Obviously, it reverts too :p. This is the "Back to top" equivalent.
      589d3bed48.jpg
  • Content Features
    • Collapsed Quotes: I have this implemented to shorten quotes more than they already are, but I have it set to default to false since quotes already semi-collapse themselves.
      48bf81122f.jpg
    • Custom Smilies: (Somehow I managed to steal this idea from Jestex without knowing, assume it was my subconscious) Ah, I know some people would like this one. What this does is allows you to enter a number of images that will show up under a "Custom" tab in the smilies inserter thingy.
      028d148cc7.jpg
    • Disable Smilies: This just removes all (quite sadly with the exception of custom smilies) smilies, unles...
      • Replace Smilies: Instead of removing the smilie, it replaces it with the smilie's `alt` attribute, usually what you see when you hover.
  • New Stuff (Edit)
    • Remove Colors: Removes colors from anyones posts, unless they're on the following whitelist:
      • Remove Colors Whitelist/Exceptions: (long name) These people will be excluded from the "Remove Colors" feature.
    • Warn On Unsubmitted Content: Prompts you to leave or stay on the page, if you have some text in a comment box (and that's it, doesn't apply to threads because drafts), when you try to leave or refresh.

If there's any features you see missing that you'd like implemented, by all means, mention it to me. As for FireFox support, If theres a good handful of people pushing for it, I'll see what I can do. I've never really done anything for the browser (mostly because I don't use it, personal preference) so I'd rather not have to deal with two versions of it if I don't have to. Again, just to push my point, I will look into FF if people want it.

Last edited:
Awesome start sir! Once you have what you feel to be a "Final" version, I would like to get it a standalone and stickied thread. Which browsers, by the way?

Awesome start sir! Once you have what you feel to be a "Final" version, I would like to get it a standalone and stickied thread. Which browsers, by the way?

Currently it's being developed on chrome, though I've made it so I should be able to switch out one file (probably, excluding the options css atm) and it work on FireFox (that said, I need to make that file and there's probably going to be some other issue I've overlooked about that, but that's the general principle).

Also, I'm currently using the 32x32 ico that's provided in the forum (the cute little tree thingy that appears in the browser tab), though I'm wondering if you (or anyone reading this) knows of a 128 by 128 sized version of it. Larger is fine, but it'll be resized to 128x128. If not, no worries, I could easily use something else for the icon that is displayed in many places for the extension/add-on, but that tree is preferable (mainly because it looks so good and is a good icon of TCF :happy:)

I would have to ask @Crowno or @Skiphs to weigh in on that.

But yeah, let me know when v1.0 is ready and we will get that dedicated thread up. :)

So, as I've implemented as many features as I can think of (the list that I previously posted is pretty much up to date with what's implemented), that means the extension v1 will be in the chrome web store soon after testing. Hopefully. I don't really need too many testers, two, maybe three, people will probably be enough :p.

As for what I've done today, just restyled the options page, more of a modern flat look.

Back
Top Bottom