Console Suggestion: Keyboard & Mouse support

Should Terraria have Keyboard & Mouse support on console?

• Yes

Votes: 57 96.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

MBraderz

Skeletron Prime
Hi all,

With the announcement of Keyboard and Mouse support from Phil Spencer via Twitter and other media, will Terraria Dev's be looking at adding support for both keyboard and mouse when it's officially released to developers?

phil-spencer-keyboard-tweet.png

This is something I'd love to see for console players and something that would definitely enhance our experience in-game

*Created a poll just to see everyone else's thoughts :)

You can already use a mouse and keyboard on console. But you just need to get that ChronusMAX usb thing

Yeah just saw your post on another thread :)

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/console-suggestion.34043/

Does ChronusMax work the same as the pc? Does it create a mouse UI in-game?

Plus, I'd rather use developer implemented software than spend £40-60 on 3rd party hardware that wouldn't be supported by the likes of Microsoft or 505/Engine/Re-Logic and:

1. It's cheaper for me as an end user
2. It supports game development by providing valuable feedback when there are issues

*Edit*
Did a bit of googling and reading on reddit/other forums

Seems as though for Keyboard and mouse to work the developers would have to specifically code it in for us to use it

Some people have tried just simply plugging a mouse and keyboard in and that hasn't worked, not even sure if a Chronus would work ( unless it re maps keyboard keys to what you select from the controller but then there's the issue of digital analogue stick movement with the mouse from the analogue sticks of the controller and of course a mouse cursor UI which is again down to the developers to create )

Could do with a developer to confirm weather there is any mouse UI when using 3rd party hardware like the ChronusMax or even if there is any support currently for Keyboard and Mouse

@505Games
@505 Games Support

Last edited:
Yeah just saw your post on another thread :)

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/console-suggestion.34043/

Does ChronusMax work the same as the pc? Does it create a mouse UI in-game?

Plus, I'd rather use developer implemented software than spend £40-60 on 3rd party hardware that wouldn't be supported by the likes of Microsoft or 505/Engine/Re-Logic and:

1. It's cheaper for me as an end user
2. It supports game development by providing valuable feedback when there are issues

*Edit*
Did a bit of googling and reading on reddit/other forums

Seems as though for Keyboard and mouse to work the developers would have to specifically code it in for us to use it

Some people have tried just simply plugging a mouse and keyboard in and that hasn't worked, not even sure if a Chronus would work ( unless it re maps keyboard keys to what you select from the controller but then there's the issue of digital analogue stick movement with the mouse from the analogue sticks of the controller and of course a mouse cursor UI which is again down to the developers to create )

Could do with a developer to confirm weather there is any mouse UI when using 3rd party hardware like the ChronusMax or even if there is any support currently for Keyboard and Mouse

@505Games
@505 Games Support

When you use the usb thing. It doesn't mod the game to give you the pc UI. You still go by controller stuff. But you can use a mouse and keyboard.

I, personality, really like this idea. If they have keyboard and mouse support, we can use wireless keyboards. This would be a huge help for me, as I sit pretty far away from my tv screen. (I don't have the option to move it, as it is on my ceiling.)
I don't really want to go out and buy a special cable to play the game with a mouse instead of a controller. Not to meantion, my Xbox only has one USB port. And I need that USB port.

I'd love this idea, as they are adding the UI from pc to console and removing the old UI, I personally hate the Controller UI on PC, and wish they would use the console one. But with the change, I would love to use Keyboard and Mouse for Console.

EVERYONE!
I have great news about keyboard and mouse compatibility.
It isn't much, but it is something. And I had the response directly from Cenx.
untitled_by_o_rainknight_o-dbol5em.jpg

It might be a thing in the future :D

Hopefully, The "new" version of Minecraft has it implemented but Microsoft has a larger team to put things like this into place, I know Phil has stated recently that there's a few titles that MS are looking at currently for KB&M support but I don't have any more info, these things tend to be hidden behind NDA's :/

Hopefully, The "new" version of Minecraft has it implemented but Microsoft has a larger team to put things like this into place, I know Phil has stated recently that there's a few titles that MS are looking at currently for KB&M support but I don't have any more info, these things tend to be hidden behind NDA's :/
The new version of Minecraft actually does have Keyboard and mouse support. I've tested it and it works perfectly. They've got a text chat now too.

The new version of Minecraft actually does have Keyboard and mouse support. I've tested it and it works perfectly. They've got a text chat now too.

I know lol, I was saying hopefully to the info that Cennxx had shared, I should have added a break line between my reply haha :p

It does work pretty well and I'm hoping Re-Logic & Pipeworks can make the move towards KB&M support for console players in the not too distant future :)

I, personality, really like this idea. If they have keyboard and mouse support, we can use wireless keyboards. This would be a huge help for me, as I sit pretty far away from my tv screen. (I don't have the option to move it, as it is on my ceiling.)
I don't really want to go out and buy a special cable to play the game with a mouse instead of a controller. Not to meantion, my Xbox only has one USB port. And I need that USB port.
I, too, would love to see Terraria add keyboard and mouse support. I just can’t stand the computer style menus. It drives me crazy because it shows potential in using keyboard and mouse. I’m a PC user for Terraria, but I use a horrible PC, but now I have an XBOX ONE S and I can enjoy playing Terraria again, playing at best performance. But the menus are nuts. It’s just like if you were using a controller on a PC. So why don't the developers just add the support? There’s already a game that does have the support or keyboard and mouse, Minecraft: Better Together. It would be awesome to see the functionality to come into play.

I was wondering about the addition of keyboard and mouse support on console. I've been playing Terraria for a long while now and played it first on the Xbox 360 edition, but since then I transitioned over to PC at the launch of 1.3. When the update launched on console me and a couple of friends, all of which don't have a copy of Terraria on PC, were looking at playing it again. But i immediately found myself struggling with the controls on console despite adding custom key binds.

I know that i may cause balancing issues, especially in multiplayer and PVP, but i feel like it would be great if the option was available to players. Keyboard and mouse support would remedy one of the bigger problems with console Terraria, menu navigation and building. As someone who builds a lot I find the amount of time it takes to complete projects is significantly amplified by how long it takes to navigate through the menus and overall it feels unintuitive to use. Credit where its due however I probably wouldn't find it so hard to use if i hadn't swapped to PC. the implementation of keyboard and mouse support would make it easier for PC players to get more invested in console Terraria and would probably encourage more people to make the jump to console if they can play in their preferred way.

I definitely see the issues with it especially that it would take a while to implement and bug test, but also in terms of the balancing issues I mentioned previously. Some solutions that I can see for this would be to disable Keyboard controls during PVP if other players are using controllers, if all are using keyboards then it wouldn't be necessary, and possibly even increasing the health/damage of enemies if the player is using a keyboard and mouse.

Anyway just wanted to highlight some of my feelings towards the console port of Terraria, absolutely love the game and hoping that we see some more updates soon! :)

I was wondering about the addition of keyboard and mouse support on console. I've been playing Terraria for a long while now and played it first on the Xbox 360 edition, but since then I transitioned over to PC at the launch of 1.3. When the update launched on console me and a couple of friends, all of which don't have a copy of Terraria on PC, were looking at playing it again. But i immediately found myself struggling with the controls on console despite adding custom key binds.

I know that i may cause balancing issues, especially in multiplayer and PVP, but i feel like it would be great if the option was available to players. Keyboard and mouse support would remedy one of the bigger problems with console Terraria, menu navigation and building. As someone who builds a lot I find the amount of time it takes to complete projects is significantly amplified by how long it takes to navigate through the menus and overall it feels unintuitive to use. Credit where its due however I probably wouldn't find it so hard to use if i hadn't swapped to PC. the implementation of keyboard and mouse support would make it easier for PC players to get more invested in console Terraria and would probably encourage more people to make the jump to console if they can play in their preferred way.

I definitely see the issues with it especially that it would take a while to implement and bug test, but also in terms of the balancing issues I mentioned previously. Some solutions that I can see for this would be to disable Keyboard controls during PVP if other players are using controllers, if all are using keyboards then it wouldn't be necessary, and possibly even increasing the health/damage of enemies if the player is using a keyboard and mouse.

Anyway just wanted to highlight some of my feelings towards the console port of Terraria, absolutely love the game and hoping that we see some more updates soon! :)
Hi @ThatOneEmoChild, I moved your post into this existing topic about the same thing. :) You can read through the previous posts to see what others have been saying.

Honestly Im not big on extra equipment just to play a game. If I wanted to use keyboard and a mouse, I just would’ve bought it on PC.

Same with Controller support. I just would’ve bought a game on the console

I would really enjoy having mouse and keyboard controls because it would just make the game more equal for people who moved from pc to console. Or people who can't afford PC's to be able to play with keyboard and mouse since the game feels better this way. If any devs find this I'd apreciate they concider this in a future update? Their skilled enough to do it so its a decision away:happy:

Hi all,

So, for a while now Microsoft have been slowly implementing Keyboard and Mouse (referred herein to as KB/M) on the Xbox platform, Sony has a different process which has followed on from the PS3 to PS4 as some of you might know by using 3rd party KB/M via USB

Some existing apps on the Xbox already support the use of KB/M such as Edge(cursor/keyboard), the dashboard (keyboard scrolling) and Minecraft Bedrock edition (full integration)

14 games are set to receive KB/M integration next week (November 14) as announced by Microsoft at their X018 special

Similar posts have been made previously regarding the implementation of KB/M for Terraria on both the Xbox and PS4 and with the most recent update (1.3) and it's user interface change and the official announcement from Microsoft allowing developers to further enhance their titles by utilising the KB/M API, I think it would be a great time for Pipeworks/505 to jump on the band wagon

If Re-Logic/Pipeworks/505 could share any information regarding future KB/M support for console users it would be greatly appreciated

@Safeman @ClearConscious @505Games

Thank you for your time :)

@ClearConscious #PipeWorksStudios

Hello, Now that Xbox has officially opened support for keyboard and mouse on the console and left it up to the developers to add the functionality. What are the chances of getting native support for this great game on consoles? I think this would be a great add for the console players and for those like me who play both PC and console, well I play on almost all platforms the game is on, but especially for the latest generation of consoles that the 1.3+ is being ported to.

Thank and looking forward to the response.

@ClearConscious #PipeWorksStudios

Hello, Now that Xbox has officially opened support for keyboard and mouse on the console and left it up to the developers to add the functionality. What are the chances of getting native support for this great game on consoles? I think this would be a great add for the console players and for those like me who play both PC and console, well I play on almost all platforms the game is on, but especially for the latest generation of consoles that the 1.3+ is being ported to.

Thank and looking forward to the response.
Hi @thejaxster, I moved your post into this thread as it’s discussing the same topic.

It would be nice if we could get an update on this subject since it has been over a year since Cenxx has commented on it. Do we know who to ask as @ClearConscious has been tagged and @505Games in the past. @Loki , would you have any idea or could you pass this up to those who can reply to us on this subject. I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom