Game Mechanics Suggestion: Player character races

BloodThirstyAvengers

Official Terrarian
I should stress first, I watched PaperBatVG's Terraria videos from before the game existed and I know this isn't a new idea. Blue himself said he wanted to add races and specified dwarves (the demolitionist was already in the game). I hope Journey's End or maybe a further update could add Playable Races and I have a few suggestions.

Before any of the races, I should explain how the races can be accessed by pre-existing characters. I have 2 suggestions; either a potion for each race that also inflicts a debuff that prevents another change for 24 minutes (1 in-game day), or a town NPC that can be paid to change a player's race, maybe a witch (Not to be confused with the Witch Doctor or Wizard).

And now the races I've thought of;

Dwarf: (Guess I should start with the one Blue suggested.)
A shorter race, usually muscular and bearded.
Pros:
2 blocks tall, can fit in 2 block high places.
Higher melee prowess and mining speed.
Lesser defence reduction from Tipsy.
Cons:
Slightly lower jump height.
Slightly lesser movement speed.

Fairy:
A frail yet agile race.
Pros:
Has a double jump and/or slowfall without the need for accessories.
Higher jump height or maybe a temporary hover ability.
Greater movement speed.
Cons:
Lesser melee damage and knockback.
Lesser defence.

Merman/Mermaid: (Different from the Merfolk form from the Neptune's Shell.)
Hero/Heroine of the sea.
Pros:
Has greater lung capacity underwater and ability to swim. (Similar to the Diving Gear without the need for an accessory slot)
Greater underwater movement speed. Also increases land movement speed slightly during rain (only on the surface).
Due to lack of legs (mermaid tail), Armour Legs have a different look.
Cons:
Lesser movement speed outside of water/rain.
Greater damage from lava.

Any other suggestions welcome. :)

Last edited:
I was to make a thread about this but like you said, it is not a new idea after all, so I am glad you made one. I will put my idea just here with you ;)

My idea is just put races that already are in game, like goblin, and lihzahrd. They should not have any special perks, just a cosmetic choice at start of your character (also loved your idea of potions to change your race, awesome!)

Have a nice day, friends <3

I got the potion idea from the pre-existing Gender Change Potion. The debuff, similar to Potion Sickness, was so people couldn't spam changes on the fly (Also the reason behind the Town NPC idea as you wouldn't always be with them).

You could technically be a goblin or lihzahrd in skin tone but I get that you wouldn't have the goblins pointy ears or the lihzahrds tail like the Witch Doctor has.

Also goblins are bald (Except the summoner) so I think the Stylist would have some funny quips, like a quote from the Goblin Tinkerer; "I tried to visit <name of Stylist> one time. She just looked at me and said 'nope.'".

Update: New idea

Centaur: (may be an unpopular one)
Stallion man of myths.
Pros:
Increased Knockback Resistance
Increased Movement Speed, maybe including the Unicorn's charge (as that's the closest thing to a horse as of late).
Greater archery prowess (inspired by the Sagittarius depiction of a centaur archer).
Cons:
Taller. You'll need Tall Gates to get through as you're too tall for doors (though maybe they could crouch with a reduced speed).
Due to size, swinging melee weapons may be a little off. There's a chance smaller weapons may miss enemies by swinging above them.
Also not sure if mounts would be usable as this race.

I won't be upset if this gathers harsh criticism but I'm a Sagittarius so I had the idea pop up. :D

My idea is just put races that already are in game, like goblin, and lihzahrd. They should not have any special perks, just a cosmetic choice at start of your character

I suppose this one was added, sort of. You could get lizard parts from the Zoologist then give them to a new character. I did a similar thing with the mermaid tail to make a merman character. :D

Skeleton
Bonuses = Armor bonus even when not wearing armour, immune to many debuffs (like bleeding for example), Ignored by Skeletons except Dungeon ones. Would function similar to Royal Gel but for Skeletons and not an accessory.
Penalties = Cannot eat food or drink anything.

Demon
Bonuses = Immune to lava damage. Has weak flight that is very slow compared to walking (think of the basic demons in hell)
Penalties = Increased height hitbox. Suffers stat debuffs when in a Cold Biome.

Worm (Not the big ones the ones you use for fishing)
Bonuses = You can move through any tiles.
Penalties = Small hitbox and unable to use melee/ranged weapons. Fish do extra damage to you and you have a massive breathe penalty in water.

I suppose this one was added, sort of. You could get lizard parts from the Zoologist then give them to a new character. I did a similar thing with the mermaid tail to make a merman character. :D

I did it, with the lizard tail and ears. I made my character look like a Lihzahrd, then I coated him in red and made a demon one. When I found she sell all those ears and tails that was what I thinked. Time to make some races!
😉

Demon
Bonuses = Immune to lava damage. Has weak flight that is very slow compared to walking (think of the basic demons in hell)
Penalties = Increased height hitbox. Suffers stat debuffs when in a Cold Biome.

You mean like the chilled debuff? I think you get that from going into water in the snow biome in expert mode. It lowers your speed, makes you unable to run.

You mean like the chilled debuff? I think you get that from going into water in the snow biome in expert mode. It lowers your speed, makes you unable to run.

Kind of like that but that may be too severe. I couldn't see myself wanting to even go into an Ice Biome with a constant chill debuff. I was thinking more so overall stats but not movement based, or at least not that bad.

Kind of like that but that may be too severe. I couldn't see myself wanting to even go into an Ice Biome with a constant chill debuff. I was thinking more so overall stats but not movement based, or at least not that bad.
Like a damper on Magic Damage or Fire-Based damage? Maybe making you unable to inflict the On Fire debuff?

Back
Top Bottom