Game Mechanics Suggestions and ideas to balance existing Terraria content/mechanics

SeriousAmaro

Official Terrarian
11th of June, 2020 Edit: I've created a better and simpler post to follow, updated with 1.4 content!
Link:

Hi everyone, I'm InfectedAmaro, long-time Terraria enthusiast player. I'd like to share my ideas regarding the Terraria experience and see what you think about them.

I'm planning a mod that focuses on balancing existing content, adding only the necessary weapons for this goal. For now, those are some of my ideas.

The general idea consists in:
  1. Class/Weapons balance;
  2. Modifying older content in order to be more in line with the recent updates;
  3. Good, old quality of life improvements.

I will use different colors to identify weapon classes in this showcase: melee, ranged, magic, summon and throwing.

Balancing all five classes is not an easy task: my goal is to ensure that the three main classes will feel complete and viable throughout the game progression.
When I say progression I'm referring to the possibility to play the game from beginning to Moon Lord using only a specific type of damage (for example ranged damage) or using only a type of weapon (like using only bows and ranged accessories/armor).

Summoners and Rogues (=placeholder name for the Throwing damage class) should stay as sub-classes but with the tools to progress.

Those are in my opinion the problems/consideration I've come up to:

• Currently, only melee (swords, yo-yos), ranged (bows) and throwing weapons are available in the early game (=pre-hardmode, before WoF) while other classes struggles;
  • the Sorcerer progression is clunky and almost nonexistent for the Summoner;
  • Rogues cease to exist in Hardmode, Summoners had to suffer a bit before Plantera;

Really important for me is also implementing sub-type weapons with 1 or 2 related-equipments, following the Yo-yos style.

example:
The Melee class will have the 'sword' sub-type, distinguished by a graphic mark: all weapons with that mark will be affected by new specific equipments (like the Yoyo Bag affect only Yoyos). Attached are some examples, they will be placed in the tooltips section of the item:

208305-e7115c3af2958d30e43cefa218ec298e.jpg
View attachment 208343 Sword Mark = used to identify swords;

208411-2a759749c1e961a32ab7f36916b5d12e.jpg
Boomerang Mark = identifies boomerangs;

208412-d1ddac466a830190001b5c3f01e429bf.jpg
Scroll Mark = category utilized to identify Scroll-type magic weapons. Currently not present in the game, I plan to add spell scrolls as usable magic weapons.

Just to clarify, there are a lot of sword-like weapons; they are not swords but they have the same in-game mechanic, effectively working the same way (Classy Cane, Ice Sickle and Fetid Baghnakhs are some examples). Said weapons will not have the 'sword' mark and will not be influenced by sword related equipments.

To effectively balanced all weapons is not necessary to add a great variety of new weapons because most of them can be moved from a class to another (Boomerang can be made throwing weapons for example)

Melee weapons are easy to classify but hard to 'justify'. The Warrior class is the strongest at this moment because late game weapons can easily rival their ranged and magic counterparts without negative sides (no bullets, no mana, no range limitation in most cases) and you also have a lot of defense on top of that. Some of them are also quite ambiguous; follows the list of weapons that changed class:

• Unholy Trident is now a Melee weapon (stay with me for an explanation);

• All the Boomerangs (Wooden Boomerang, Enchanted Boomerang, Fruitcake Chakram, Bloody Machete, Ice Boomerang, Thorn Chakram, Flamarang, Light Disc, Bananarang, Possessed Hatchet, Paladin's Hammer) are now Throwing weapons;
  • Vampire Knives, Flying Knife, Shadowflame Knife, are now Throwing weapons.

Some considerations on this changes:

- Boomerangs are not needed by the Melee class and can only help the Throwing class which naturally fits those weapons and severely lacks consistency (more to that in the Throwing tag);

- Powerful weapons like the Possessed Hatchet and the Paladin's Hammer will balance the class weapons drop variety;

- With the Vampire Knives turn into Throwing, you will get a powerful Throwing weapon from the Crimson chest and a Melee weapon from the Corruption chest; this way all five biome chests will have a different class weapon;

- With the Shadowflame Knife being a Throwing weapon, It will be expected another drop from the Goblin Summoner, a Melee weapon to take his place (and a Summoner weapon as well, making her drop a weapon from all classes);

- I'd like to have Large Mimics drop one of 5 weapons (one from each class), a hook, potions and an equipment/mount. Currently only three weapons can be dropped: a melee, a ranged or a magic one. I'd like to add a summon and a throwing weapon in each of those mimics and since the Flying Knife is now a throwing weapon (and you'll also see how the Clinger Staff will be moved to summon) I'll need to add the following weapons:
  • Corrupt Mimic drop: Magic weapon;
  • Corrupt Mimic drop: Throwing weapon;
  • Crimson Mimic drop: Summon weapon (most likely a sentry-type);
  • Crimson Mimic drop: Throwing weapon;
  • Hallowed Mimic drop: Melee weapon;
  • Hallowed Mimic drop: Summon weapon (probably a minion).

The Melee sub-types are Sword, Spear, Chained weapons (this cathegory includes flails and other chained weapon) and Yo-yo.

208410-e7115c3af2958d30e43cefa218ec298e.jpg

208305-e7115c3af2958d30e43cefa218ec298e.jpg

I will not manually add all the existing swords; there a lot of them and are easily recognisable. Just consider that no changes are required here; I will however list the 'sword-like' weapons that will not have the sword mark:
  • Pre-Hardmode: Bladed Glove, Zombie Arm, Stylish Scissors, Purple Clubberfish, Mandible Blade;
  • Hardmode: Classy Cane, Slap Hand, Ice Sick, Death Sickle, Fetid Baghnakhs.

Some Swords and Swords-like will use mana for an addition attack:
Ice Blade, Enchanted Sword, Bee Keeper, True Excalibur, True Night's Edge, The Horseman Blade, Terra Blade, Influx Waver, Flying Dragon, Star Wrath, Meowmere.

Like for the Water Bolt, other weapons such as the Space Gun or the Enchanted Sword feel too good for how accessible they are and the latter two do not use mana at all.

While the Meteor armor set bonus can be modify to prevent this weapon to be too good, other sword-like weapon that casts projectiles may be too similar to magic weapons except they don't use mana. These weapons will still work as regular swords but they will cast the projectile only if the player has enough mana.

This mechanic has to be an exception to the rule, only a small list of weapons will occasionally use mana for additional attacks and only if they are too unfair compared to their ranged and magic counterparts or if they need to be just decent to fight bosses.

A couple of new equipments will help melee players to use of these additional attack like we can do now but at the cost of an equipment slot.

208312-b3739e54d025495a62b159b1066c577a.jpg

208413-b3739e54d025495a62b159b1066c577a.jpg

This category is actually boring at the moment.. it consist in some niche weapons higly ineffective against bosses and not well spread in the game progression; Expert mode is off the table.

In these lists you will see how I portrait the weapon progression based on the bosses that has to be dealt with by that time, a decent weapon to progress to hardmode and an end game weapon. There is a lot of room for weapon buffs ornerfs and new weapons to fit the blank spots:

• Pre-Hardmode: Spear, Trident*, The Eater Tooth, The Rotted Fork, Swordfish, The Needle, Dark Lance*;

• Hardmode: Cobalt Naginata, Palladium Pike, Mythril Halberd, Orichalcum Halberd, Laser Staff, Adamantite Glaive, Titanium Trident, Gungnir, Chlorophyte Partisan, Mushroom Spear, Obsidian Swordfish, Unholy Trident**, Scourge of the Corruptor** , North Pole, Ghastly Glaive, Sky Dragon's Fury, Daybreak**.

* The Following weapons needs a buff: Trident: Just a small damage buff.. The time you can easily loot Tridents out of the ocean, fending off hordes of sharks you should be already better equipped and the weapons is not worth it (Swordfish is fine, can be 'cheated' in the early game but it is very rare with early fishing equipment); Dark Lance needs to use mana to shoot dark projectiles of some sort to be effective against WoF and early Hardmode enemies, plus it will be a really cool weapon to use.

**Scourge of the Corruptor can be a powerful weapon for spear playthroughs.. this weapon is weird and seems more a Ranged or a Magic weapon that a Melee one.. in my opinion it can just be changed to have the Spear mechanic, shooting the little eaters only at the end of the animation from the top of the spear, and of course dealing melee damage when phisically hits an enemy. Same thing applies for the Unholy Trident (giving you a decent reason to go back to the Underworld after beating a mechanical boss) and for Daybreak.

New Spear #1: The Eater Tooth (crafted at an anvil: 10x Demonite Bar + 5x Shadow Scale), a variant of The Rotted Fork crafted with Demonite bars (pretty much like the Ball 'O Hurt can be dropped in the Corruption and The Meatball crafted with Crimtane ore. I really like simmetries);

New Spear #2: The Needle (crafted at an anvil: 3x Vine + 5x Stinger + 10x Chain), we need a good spear to fight Queen Bee, Skeletron and the dungeon mobs. The Needle will be a long spear with a body similar to that of a Man Eater and will apply poison;

New Spear #3: Laser Staff (sold by the Traveling Merchant during hardmode for 40 gold) this spear will help fight the Mechanical Bosses, it's an iron spear with a red gem that shoots a red laser beam that pierces up to 3 enemies every time the spear reach the maximum range during the animation, it will consume a small portion of mana every beam;

I didn't mention Swortswords yet. They will not have any mark, there will not be listed as swords or sword-like. They will be infact Spear-like melee weapon (they have the same mechanic, but they will not count as spears). I think they should be renamed 'knives', to avoid any further confusion. (like Copper Knife, Tungsten Knife..)

208414-20607766ed2586914dd9c561aec60d12.jpg

208311-20607766ed2586914dd9c561aec60d12.jpg

Chained weapons have potential.. they need more covering in the early game because Chained Knife is a rare drop and you are not garanteed to have a Ball 'O Hurt before summoning The Eater of World (and you certainly need to defeat Brain of Chtulu for The Meatball). End-game is already provided fortunately; I'm impressed how Hardmode chained weapons and flais are so interestingly spread (remember that if you accumulate a lot of crates before entering Hardmode you will get a lot of hardmore ores AND a good possibility of starting things off with the Anchor!).

Chained equipments will improve the length of the chain and maybe work out the way flails work (by make you drag the ball around smartly and destroy invasions by running on a higher platform.. just think about it).

• Pre-Hardmode: Chain Knife*, Ball 'O Hurt, The Meatball, The Hive, Blue Moon**, Sunfury**;
  • Hardmode: Anchor, KO Cannon, Chain Guillotines, Dao of Pow, Flower Pow, Golem Fist, Flairon, Solar Eruption.

* the Chain Knife should be craftable (why they are dropped by bats anyway?) with cheap materials at an anvil: 5x Chain + any Iron Bar.

* Blue Moon and Sunfury are quite old and boring flails being introduced so early in the developement and not good enougth to fight WoF. My suggestion is to make them leave a small trail of water/fire wherever they hit the target (like the Spore Sac does) using mana to do so.

New Chained Weapon #1: The Hive (sold by the Adventurer* after Queen Bee is defeated for 15 gold) This weapon is a rare drop and consist in sphere-shaped ammass of wax with exagonal exits that shoots out little spikes in the same direction of the cursor at the end of the animation, exactly like the stinger from the hornets. This shooting will not consume ammo nor mana and will be like the shotgun blasts.

*the Adventurer is a new NPC designed to help melee character like the Arms Dealer and the Wizard for the other two main classes. It will spawn at your town after at least one boss is defeat and if you already have 5 other NPCs.

208415-b69daf838231ff2e9d54c80ffebb5829.jpg

208313-b69daf838231ff2e9d54c80ffebb5829.jpg

No big changes here. All the ideas for sub-weapons types are based around the fact that Yo-Yos are well-spread across all the biomes, with a natural progression based on drops, crafting and NPC's trading, as well as pre hardmode and hardmore equipments. Is the perfect Terraria weapon play-through and we need more of that.

Keep in mind that 1 equipment slot in the end game (Yoyo Bag) is more that enough and we do not need thousands of spefic equipments for each sub-type weapons.

.. and The Terrarian will use a little bit of mana for balance.

Akwardly enough, except the recently renamed Knives only one weapon doesn't fit any of those four categories, the Psyco Knife. His mechanics are unique and it's good this way.

Ranged weapons will be divided in ammo types rather that weapon types for simplicity:

The Ranged sub-types are Arrow, Bullet, Laser, Rockets.

Adding to the already present Endless Quiver and Endless Musket Pouch, the Endless Rocket Pack uses 4x stacks of 'Rocket I' ammunitions for and endless supply at a Crystal Ball and the Endless Energy Supply is for the new laser weapons that is crafted with 4x stacks of Battery Cells.

I want to adress that I'm planning to change all items that stacks up until 99 to 100, same thing for 999 into 1000. To make and Endless Quiver, you'll need 4000 wooden arrows instead or 3998.

This change will also come with some new recipe for some items to be in a multiple, especially ammunitions.

Another important change is that Musket Balls can now only be used to make Meteorite Shots and Silver Shots (renamed from 'Silver Bullet') while Crystal, Cursed, Ichor, Chlorophythe and Luminite Bullets will instead use Bullets (renamed from 'Empty Bullet').

Bullet
Type - Ammunition, Crafting Material
Damage - 10 (ranged)
Knockback - 4 (weak)
Velocity - 5.1
Rarity - White
Buy / Sell - 10cc / 1cc

With this change, bullets will now deal damage and 4 stacks can be combined to create and Endless Bullet Canister.

Following, the updated recipes for ammunitions:
  • Silver Shot (100): 100x Musket Ball + Silver Bar [up from 70]
  • Meteorite Shot (100): 100x Musket Ball + Meteorite Bar [ up from 70]
  • Ichor Bullet (100): 100x Bullet + Ichor [down from 150]
  • Cursed Bullet (100): 100x Bullet + Cursed Flame [down from 150]
  • Crystal Bullet (100): 100x Bullet + Crystal Shard [up from 70]
  • Chlorophyte Bullet (100): 100x Bullet + Chlorophyte Bar [up from 70]
  • Luminite Bullet (250): 250x Bullet + Luminite Bar [down from 333]
  • Luminite Arrow (250): 250x Wooden Arrow + Luminite Bar [down from 333]

The last visual change will regard the writings that appear when you over the weapon with the mouse.. a colored information will tell the player what ammo that weapon requires and also will distinguished the damage number based on the ammo equipped (for example: '32+8 ranged damage' means that 32 is the damage of the weapon and 8 is the damage of the ammo)

Those are the weapons that changed class:

• The magic guns (Space Gun, Laser Rifle, Heat Ray, Laser Machinegun, Charged Blaster Cannon) are now Ranged weapons;
  • Snowball Cannon is now a Throwing weapon (again, stick with me for an explanation).
208416-c94919335a60f3eec4796514f48ccbc8.jpg

208310-c94919335a60f3eec4796514f48ccbc8.jpg

Bows and Repeaters will have the arrow mark. We already have the Magic Quiver.. other equipments could give your weapons debuff inducing ammo or other benefits.

No other changes in this section; the distribution of bows and repeaters is perfect.

208314-3c247b1960799db0176b41475d5676cd.jpg

208417-3c247b1960799db0176b41475d5676cd.jpg

Here there are all the Guns, Pistols and Machine Guns that uses all types of ammo:

• Pre-Hardmode: Flintock Pistol*, The Undertaker, Musket, Boomstick, Minishark, Revolver, Phoenix Blaster;
  • Hardmode: Shotgun, Clockwork Assault Rifle, Onyx Blaster, Gatligator, Megashark, Tactical Shotgun, Uzi, Chain Gun, Venus Magnum, Sniper Rifle, Xenopopper, Vortex Beater, S.D.M.G.
*The Flintock Pistol doesn't make sense. Can be bought by the Arms Dealer when you have a firearm in your inventory which means when you get your The Undertaker or Musket. Those two weapons are already stronger than the Flintock Pistol so there is no reason to buy it. With a small nerf to the damage output, I think the Flinktock Pistol could be found on normal Wodden Chest with some musket balls with it, allowing a player for a way smoother Gunslinger playthough without having to bomb a Shadow Orb/Crimson Heart as your first objective. The Arms Dealer will also shortly move to your town.

I'm still unsure about the Uzi. As a rare drop from Angry Trapper is intended to be a weapon that won't have much use, outshadowed by the Megashark. With a consistent nerf in damage and removing the high velocity bullets it could be a pre-hardmode weapon.

208315-4b2d2cde5c76acea9f5bb8d3d2059fe3.jpg

208418-4b2d2cde5c76acea9f5bb8d3d2059fe3.jpg

Now with the fun stuff. Those five magic weapons that I listed before are now Ranged exclusive.. Those were never well rappresented in the Magic class thanks to more interesting weapons and were never explored like they deserve: Sorcerer should feel like magicians with never seen weapons and attacks.

In the Ranger class these weapons could be really interesting and provide new perspectives. For this sub-type we also need quite a few more weapons to use and they have to be designed. If Arrows, Bullets and Rockets are the basic ammo types for the other weapons, these weapons will use a new basic ammo type, the Battery Cell (100x Battery Cells = 10x Gel + 1x Fallen Star). 4x stacks of Battery Cells will make the Endless Energy Supply at a Crystal Ball, granting you Infinite Battery Cells.

This recipe will also give rangers a reason to hunt for fallen stars and will limit the laser usage with expensive ammo.
  • Battery Cells Pros: With the Endless Energy Supply, you won't need to care about your ammo anymore;
  • Battery Cells Cons: Being the only ammo type for these weapons, there are no possibility of upgrades like arrows and bullets; Also quite expensive.

Quick Note: These changes also will change the Meteorite Armor quite a bit, solving the issue of the Space Gun being too overpowered with this armor sets. Instead of 7% Magic damage a piece, now the Meteorite armor pieces will grant you 5% reduced mana usage each and the set bonus will say: "+15% chance not to consume ammo". This set will basically be useful to both Rangers and Sorcerers providing a possible early game class mixture and an efficiency oriented set.

208316-2cd1cdede9c1f658f3f186b1a3a6fe1b.jpg

208419-2cd1cdede9c1f658f3f186b1a3a6fe1b.jpg

There are a lot of problems here.. The first one is that currently rocket weapons don't exist in pre-hardmode and your first weapon is dropped by Plantera. This problem can be fixed by letting the Demolitioner selling 'Rockets' (a less powerful version of 'Rockets I') but it also means adding a plethora of launchers weapons in pre-hardmode. Other launchers doesn't work with rockets specifically, like the Jack 'O Lantern Launcher.

Thoughts aside, Rockets are meant to be used in Hardmode only with a limited set of weapons and I'm ok with this.

• Pre-Hardmode: N/A
  • Hardmode: Proximity Mine Launcher, Rocket Launcher, Stynger, Snowman Cannon, Electrosphere Launcher, Celebration.

Some of these weapons uses gel, some darts, some uses no ammo at all.. they are just fun weapons that you can use during the adventure.
  • Pre-Hardmode: Paintball Gun, Flare Gun, Blowpipe, Blowgun, Sandgun, Star Cannon, Water Gun, Slime Gun;
  • Hardmode: Candy Corn Rifle, Coin Gun, Nailgun, Jack 'O Lantern Launcher, Flamethrower, Elf Melter, Piranha Gun, Dart Pistol, Dart Rifle, Toxikarp.

This one is really hard. Magic weapons are unique because they don't have much in common and that's why they are unique and very versatile; the skilled sorcerer use a lot of spells but only the right one for each occasion.. the price of such power results in the mana limitations.

Instead of classifying weapons for their mechanics (like the melee) or ammo (like ranged), Magic weapons will be categorized by they're own casting source and by the different properties that equipment will give to those weapons. Here are the class changes:

• The magic guns (Space Gun, Laser Rifle, Heat Ray, Laser Machinegun, Charged Blaster Cannon) are now Ranged weapons;
  • Clinger Staff, Crimson Rod and Nimbus Rod are now Summon weapons (predictably);
  • Magic Dagger and Toxic Flask are now Throwing weapons.
  • Unholy Trident is now a Melee weapon.

As I said, magic weapons are weird, they should be unique but there are too many Magic weapons that really don't fit the Magic class like they fit other classes.. some exceptions are Leaf Blower, Razorpine, Rainbow Gun, Bee Gun, Wasp Gun, Bat Scepter: they all share a Ranged-type mechanic but they are uses innatural/impossibile bullets created by magic or they summon little animals.

With these changes I've lost 11 Magic weapons. Even if they shouldn't be very common they should at least be playable in a playthrough.

We have Wands, Spell Tomes and Scrolls:

208317-8f456c3c038afa9fdd96cde69fd6e17b.jpg

208420-8f456c3c038afa9fdd96cde69fd6e17b.jpg

As I said before, these weapons are listed by their casting source but they share common traits; Wands are similar to Ranged weapons, shooting projectiles of different nature and using mana instead of ammo. Wands equipment can improve those weapons in ways that Ranged weapons cannot do: instead of adding casting velocity or damage we can go crazy and adding original buffs like doubling the casting of wands (for example: I will shoot two consecutive fireballs one close to the other at the mana cost of one) or augmenting the size of the projectile.

Little buffs to the Wand of Sparking and all the staves: reduces mana usage to help the early player gather Mana Stars; the first one also need a little bit of knokback to be helpful:

• Pre-Hardmode: Wand of Sparking, Amethyst Staff, Topaz, Staff, Sapphire Staff, Emerald Staff, Ruby Staff, Diamond Staff, Amber Staff, Vilethorn, Aqua Scepter, Magic Missile, Flamelash, Tome of Infinite Wisdom;
  • Hardmode: Sky Fracture, Crystal Serpent, Ice Rod, Crystal Vile Shard, Life Drain, Frost Staff, Meteor Staff, Rainbow Rod, Poison Staff, Nettle Burst, Venom Staff, Staff of Earth, Shadowbeam Staff, Inferno Fork, Spectre Staff, Blizzard Staff, Bat Scepter, Betsy's Wrath.

208421-7b8010bfa1ea3aae33a53ac2176d2292.jpg

208318-7b8010bfa1ea3aae33a53ac2176d2292.jpg

We have only a few Spell Tomes but they are really interesting because it only makes sense that you can manipulate casting velocity with spell tomes via new equipment.
Books will be craftable at a Shelf for 6 pieces of wood each. This will allow spellbooks crafting before the dungeon.

• Pre-Hardmode: Icy Tempest, New Spell Tome #2, Book of Skulls*, Water Bolt, Demon Scythe;
  • Hardmode: Golden Shower, Cursed Flames, Crystal Storm, New Spell Tome #3, Magnet Sphere, Razorblade Typhoon, Lunar Flare.

* a small buff for the Book of Skulls will make this weapon good even after acquiring the Water Bolt.

New Spell Tome #1: Icy Tempest (crafted at an Shelf: 1x Book + 40x Ice Block + 5x Shiverthorn). A progression has to be set; a cheap but good Spell Tome could be an ice themed one, that casts ice shard that may slow down the enemies;

New Spell Tome #2: Another idea is to craft a Spell Tome with some obsidian and lava buckets, resulting in a mini-Flamethrower weapon with the same;

New Spell Tome #3: For progression reasons, with 1x Book, 16x Clorophyte Bar and 1x Butterfly Dust we'll make this new Spell tome that releases a toxic cloud in a straight line similar to the Sand Elemental's sand tornado but coming forward from the book.

208412-d1ddac466a830190001b5c3f01e429bf.jpg

208308-af2c1950d5de950c3b889c434f92e8c2.jpg

This is still a work in project: I am at creating a new set of magic weapons, just a few to create a challenging but fun plythourgh experience. Some of the early ideas includes:

208319-9b258e845a394a46432b22262a5cda6f.jpg
208422-9b258e845a394a46432b22262a5cda6f.jpg
Scroll of Fire;

208423-e2855b819c50175ecd85fa7e3c26d775.jpg
208320-e2855b819c50175ecd85fa7e3c26d775.jpg
Nature's Reprisal;

208321-d97351fa885d41ab377cc6f675ec283c.jpg
208424-d97351fa885d41ab377cc6f675ec283c.jpg
Frost Shard (a weapon from the game HeXen. I'll use it for another mod that will bring all the weapon from said game into Terraria)

These list contains pretty much the rest and these weapons will not have a mark. here's the list of these unique weapons and there should be more of them in my opinion:
  • Pre-Hardmode: Bee Gun, Flower of Fire;
  • Hardmode: Leaf Blower, Razorpine, Rainbow Gun, Wasp Gun, Magical Harp, Medusa Head, Flower of Frost, Shadowflame Hex Doll, Nebula Arcanum, Nebula Blaze, Last Prism.

Yes. But not in the way you might think.

There is a weapon that requires a little bit of tweaking in my opinion: the Water Bolt.

In a Sorcerer playthrough there is the option to skip all early game and get a Water Bolt from a Dungeon before meeting the Dungeon Guardian with relatively ease. That weapon will carry on until WoF outpowering every other magic weapon, and this makes the Water Bolt the only required magic weapon for almost half the game.

To help other weapons shine the game we should have more early game option and should not allow the player to get a Water Bolt before Skeletron by simply adding a new Dungeon Door that will required a specific key dropped by Skeletron to enter (the same way Plantera drops the Temple Key). The 'key' item concept wasn't present at the time but it was implemented later on so that it can be applied in this case as well.

For this reason I think it's time to remove the Dungeon Guardian from the game (let's face it, it's just the Skeletron head with insane stats created by the Devs to prevent the player to access the Dungeon). Finally, we add the Bone Key as a rare drop from Skeletron so we won't remove the only reason for the Dungeon Guardian to be in this game.

Other weapons that are somehow cheaty are the Enchanted Sword/Arkhalis, the Space Gun (that we "fixed" before) and the late game melee weapons that auto-aims or that behave like ranged/magic weapons like Terrablade, Influx Waver, Possesed Hatchet, Flairon and more. Since the Enchanted Sword is rarer than the Water Bolt and considering my ideas to balance out non-melee classes I think the rest is just fine as it is

I have made a post on this forum about summoners a lot time ago; with some other terrarians I've discussed the specifics of armor sets and weapon distribution as well as general ideas. A lot changed after that but what I think is still worth it will be posted here to summorize what I think about this class introduced in 1.2.

When Summon was introduced they were just a fun side look to the Magic users (summoners didn't have much and their weapons used and still uses mana and Magic prefixes). Since then 1.3 'unofficially recognized' Summoners as a stand alone class. What is sad to me is that they share the same Magic prefixes which doesn't make much sense since currently minions don't have knockback value but summoners weapons can have useless knockback modifiers (making Ruthless a better modifier than Mythical usually).

Another really annoying summoners prerogative is to swap between Tiki armor and Menacing equipments to Spooky armor and Warding/Quick equipments.. this process is somewhat cheap, unintuitive and not quite fun to prepare all these buffs before every important fight.. it also requires you to carry 2 armor sets and doubles the equipment with best modifiers. These are the changes that in my opinion will make Summoners a real class from the start to the end:

1. Better weapon/armor/equipment coverage (especially from the beginning to Plantera);
  2. Keeping the feeling of an out-of-place class, different from the others (I'm not going to implement an hardmode ore helmet like Warriors, Rangers and Sorcerers);
  3. Summoners-only prefixes (the best one will have +1 Summonable Minion) and each summoner weapon has a limit of summons that can spawn indipendently;

(example: The Imp Staff will spawn a maximum of 3 Imps BY ITSELF. Then you can use bewitching tables, summoning potions, armor bonuses and equipments to add up to this general number. We will see more minions from the start at the cost of a damage reduction, of course. Strength in numbers is the key, because you will rarely fight a single target at the time)

1. As a consequence by the last point, Summoner weapons will not rely on Armor sets and Equipments and will be stand alone good (like every other class, instead of being just for support);
  2. For simplicity, minions stats will be dynamic (you will not need to resummon all your minions after a potions and you cannot cheat damage with the armor/equipment swap sheneanings.. The Spooky Armor set will be buffed and give you +1 Summonable Minion, making it a straight upgrade from the Tiki set avoiding any confusion;
  3. It is vital to make minions 'smarter', the player need some sort of control over them. A new item (like a controller) will allow you to use LMB to point an enemy for your minions to attack (RMB to disengage and start attacking the nearest enemy as always). This way you can tell your minions to attack only Skeletron Prime's head, or Spazmatism over Retinazer for example, giving you something to do in a Summoner's only playthrough. (See Edit)
EDIT: 17/05/2017 = As about now, recent updates made this option possible without the need of a new item, good job there!

Now let's just see the weapons changes:
  • Clinger Staff, Crimson Rod and Nimbus Rod are now Summon weapons;

With the Clinger Staff becoming a Summoner Weapon, the Corrupt Large Mimic will drop a new Magic weapon as stated before.

Two sub-types are Minion and Sentry:

208427-76c5c456393653033d233fb779c67d3f.jpg

There is a lot to add here, covering up blind spot for the progression or giving better tools to fight the bosses (Spider and Pirates are not good enougth to fight The Twins and Skeletron Prime, or simply to boring due to the low damage and incapability to hit flying targets). Since Terraria 1.3 seemed to have promoted the Summoner to a proper class than I feel comfortable adding more than a couple of items/weapons to the mix:
  • Pre-Hardmode: Bunny Staff, Slime Staff*, Pirhana Staff, Devourer Staff, Crimera Staff, Hornet Staff, Imp Staff;
  • Hardmode: Spider Staff, Pirate Staff, Ice Elemental Staff, Sand Shark Staff, Optic Staff**, Pygmy Staff**, Deadly Sphere Staff, Tempest Staff, Raven Staff, Xeno Staff, Stardust Dragon Staff, Stardust Cell Staff.
*I don't think Slime Staff should be craftable.. it is really really powerful early on and can be cheated via Slime statues, also making fightning slimes a bit more.. useful. This thought apply only if the progression is fixed with a new starting Summoner weapons.
Remember, you usually use only one type of minion at once, meaning that we don't need too many summoner weapons, just a few.

**The Optic Staff is very similar in damage to the Pygmy staff in the sense that the first is more versatile and can attack in different ways both very handy while the latter has more damage output but can only attack while being close to the floor assuming the pygmys stays on the ground. Both needs a change because they are quite a bit weird.. In my opinion the Optic Staff should not spawn more than one 'The Twins' but they will be much stronger and bigger (You basically summon a smaller version of Retinazer and Spazmatism and every '+1 minion' buff will infact only enlarge in size and damage The Twins.. this process is similar to the Yo-yos being affected in string length instead of melee speed). Pygmys will also be able to shoot mid-air when surfing with theyr spears.

New Minion #1: If slimes are the basic enemies we can make a basic summon weapon with critters; With low damage and high minions spawnable, presenting the Bunny Staff (5x bunnies + 30x wood pieces);
New Minion #2: This is a fun one: how about a fish spawnable? the Pirhana Staff will spawn deadly fishes that will jump like crazy on the ground bouncing on enemies but they will be much more faster and stronger when fighting on actual water;
New Minion #3: The Devourer Staff, craftable with demonite ore and shadow scale, summons little devourers that will crawl like normal worms (the critter) and attack like giant worm (the enemy);
New Minion #4: Craftable with crimtane ore and tissue sample, the crimson counterpart to the Devourer Staff is the Crimera Staff with a similar A.I. as the said enemy;
New Minion #5: This one uses Frost Cores dropped with the Ice Golem to craft the Ice Elemental Staff;
New Minion #6: With the new 1.3.3 update we can also add the Ice Golem counterpart using Forbidden Fragments to make the Sand Shark Staff.

208428-2e7006ed6b549588eb0ff9e75d4801b0.jpg

EDIT: 01/11/17: The crossover with Dungeons Defenders brought to us a lot of sentry weapons and tools: this tag is not needed and would probably not see any implementation in the mod I'm creating. I will however leave it for you to read if you might be interested in these ideas.

There are a few of them in the game and there is a lot of space for interesting sentries in the game. Summoners can just use minions but it would be inconsiderate to design sentries like if you will not use anything else in the game but I will still try to provide ideas for a somewhat of a progression. To summon sentries you will need a clear linear sight and you cannot position sentries on platforms:
    • Pre-Hardmode: New Sentry #1, New Sentry #2, New Sentry #3, New Sentry #4 ;
    • Hardmode: New Sentry #5, New Sentry #6, Queen Spider Staff, New Sentry #7, Clinger Staff, New Sentry #8, Staff of the Frost Hydra, Lunar Portal Staff, Rainbow Crystal Staff.

New Sentry #1: With 50x Wood + 20x Stone block + 20x Acorn + 1x Squirrel you'll be able to craft the Squirrel Staff. This is a simple one, you will spawn up to two natural 'boxes made with logs' with a squirrel in it that throws acorns.. adorable;
New Sentry #2: The Antlion Staff will be crafted with Desert Fossils and Antilion Mandibles; the sand projectiles will not became blocks;
New Sentry #3: The Man Eater Staff is a rare drop that will summon up to two Man Eater on a block to eat your enemies;
New Sentry #4: With a similar design, we can add a weapon that summons up to two dungeon Spiky Ball trap. I made the sprite for this one when I was working on the Summoners project
208429-7f5096aa396d714f6340ee58810ec6c6.jpg
;
New Sentry #5: The WoF weapon drop (we need a Summoner weapon from it as well as a Throwing weapon and a Throwing emblem)! The new Geyser Staff will spawn a column of fire pretty much like the Clinger Staff ;
New Sentry #6: With your Antlion Staff + 15x Soul of Night + 5x Dark Shard you will be able to craft at a Demon Altar or a Crimson Altar a Corrupted Antlion Staff that shoots ebonsand or crimsand depending of the world (not collectable)
New Sentry #7: At a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil you will craft with 25x Crystal Shard + 20x Soul of Light + 10 Soul of Sight + 10 Light Shard the Basilisk Staff: A crystal idol that damages and sometimes petrifies close enemies;
New Sentry #8: The Turret Staff will be sold by the Steampunker and will spawn up to 3 awesome steampunky turrets.

Finally we talk about the fifth class: Introduced in 1.3 as a way to diversify those ranged consumable weapons that didn't really fit the class adding a couple of pre-hardmode armor sets to the mix. The class doesn't have prefixes because most weapons are consumables with the exception of the Bone Glove, which should be a Ranged weapon that uses bones as ammo but instead is a Throwing weapon with Ranged prefixes that uses throwing weapons as ammo like a ranged weapon (???) ..at least it's cool.

EDIT: 01/11/2017: Upon noticing the Cenx tweeted about Throwing weapons being just for fun and won't see more implementation I've decided to give only a small amount of support for this class without going too far to respect the original idea.

Hardmode doesn't support Throwing weapons, but those are easier to implement than Summoners mechanics. Those are the change required to proceed in the description of the Rogue class:

1. WoF will to drop the 'Rogue emblem' (+15% Throwing damage);
  2. A small portion of Hardmode weapons/armors/equipment for Rogues;
  3. Class speficic prefixes. Bone Glove is the only non-consumable Throwing weapon in the game; we will add new ones that will not require ammo or that have a similar function as the Bone Glove with prefixes that modify Throwing velocity or Throwing speed among the others.
  4. A true rogue wants to move fast and undetected, applying debuffs to the enemy instead of dealing pure damage with raw power. Armor sets and equipments will improve your movement speed and maybe scaled up throwing velocity based on your movement speed and so on (the four DD2 armor sets are all about summon + melee/ranged or magic. The Monk armor sets helps speed and melee speed.. it will be changed to be just speed and life regen to be the split Summon/Rogue armor. I won't add throwing specific bonuses because the monk doesn't rappresent it).

*a fifth celestial pillar? I'm not sure that a fifth pillar can fit in a small/medium world without being close to the centre of the world.. A possible solution could be different celestial creatures invading your earth.. 4 random pillars out of 5 every time.. you will still be able to craft the 5th fragment combining the other 4 ones. It is complex and unintuitive, it won't happen. Easier to implement two new craftables from two of the original four pillars.

With that out the way lets see the weapons changes:
  • All the Boomerangs (Wooden Boomerang, Enchanted Boomerang, Fruitcake Chakram, Bloody Machete, Ice Boomerang, Thorn Chakram, Flamarang, Light Disc, Bananarang, Possessed Hatchet, Paladin's Hammer) are now Throwing weapons;
  • Vampire Knives, Flying Knife, Shadowflame Knife are now Throwing weapons;
  • Snowball Launcher is now a Throwing weapon;
  • Magic Dagger and Toxic Flask are now mana-using Throwing weapons.
The category for Throwing weapons are Boomerangs and Launchers (standard consumable won't have prefixes nor mark):

208411-2a759749c1e961a32ab7f36916b5d12e.jpg

Boomerangs are now throwing weapons. These category will have throwing prefixes and will not consume any ammo or resource; as a downside they will be weaker than most melee weapons and will not have the same range of a ranged weapon. Pre-Hardmode is quite covered while Hardmode needs a little bit of more consistency:
  • Pre-Hardmode: Wooden Boomerang, Enchanted Boomerang, Fruitcake Chakram, Bloody Machete, Ice Boomerang, Thorn Chakram, Flamarang;
  • Hardmode: New Boomerang #1, Light Disc, Bananarang, Possessed Hatchet, Paladin's Hammer.

New Boomerang #1: We need something to fight the mech bosses without relying on the Bananarangs.. the Wall o Flash drop will do it! How about a boomerang shaped like a Hungry?;

I feel like the WoF drop will be enough to allow the player a swift and fun progression without being that viable like other classes. A couple of other boomerangs to fight Plantera and the celestial invasion could be added but I still don't want to over doing it. Still I felt like mentioning the WoF drop.

Consumable weapons, no prefixes, the essence of the Throwing class, let's go! (...adding some hardmode consumable):
  • Pre-Hardmode: Snowball, Shuriken, Throwing Knife, Poisoned Knife, Grenade, Sticky Grenade, Bouncy Grenade, Spiky Ball, Bone, Rotten Egg, Star Anise, Molotov Cocktail, Frost Daggerfish, Javelin, Bone Javelin, Bone Throwing Knife, Falling Stars*, Beenade, Happy Grenade;

• Hardmode: Holy Water, Unholy Water, Blood Water, Shadowflame Knife, Toxic Flask.

Ok, this is hard to workout. There are a lot of things to add here, for examples some ninja throwables dropped by mobs in the sky, in the undeground, in the dungeon... or old weapon like Shuriken or Grenade enhanced with items like Cursed Flames, Ichor, Crystal Shards, Beetle Husk or Ectoplasms.

For now I will only say that the Shadowflame Knives will be consumable and dropped in stacks by the Goblin Summoner and then be sold by the Goblin Tinkerer if you have a Shadowflame Knife in your inventory as well as the Toxic Flask from Dr. Man Fly. (Sold the same way from the Wizard).

All of these are just ideas. Consumables will probably remain a pre-hardmode experience.

This is more interesting.. following the Bone Glove, there will be new weapons that uses consumables adding to their Throwing damage an extra base set damage like the Bone Glove does.. they share the same prefixes with Boomerangs. This is the reason why I've put the Snowball Launcher and Grenade Launcher in the throwing class.. They share the same identical principles of the Bone Glove so it doesn't make sense that one is Ranged and the other is Throwing. Some of these weapons are old weapons that works differently than before:
  • Pre-Hardmode: Snowball Launcher*, Ale Tosser, Ball Cannon, Bone Glove, Star Rifle;
  • Hardmode: Stellar Machinegun, Magic Dagger**, Grenade Launcher*, Vampire Knives***.

* Like the Bone Glove, two Ranged weapons that uses throwables weapons as ammo now deals Throwing damage: Snowball Launcher and Grenade Launcher.

** Magic Dagger will be like now but instead will deal throwing damage.. it is and endless weapon but requires mana to use; it basically 'consumes' mana instead of items.

*** Vampire Knives will work exactly like Bone Glove, using Throwing Knife, Poisoned Knife or Shadowflame Knife instead of bones. This change will keep the Vampire Knives strong coupled with Shadowflame Knifes but will not overpowered the Ninja class because doesn't share the great armor of Melee characters that can abuse the Vampire Knives (I remeber slaughtering Planteras with Vampire Knives while standing still and tanking all the hits!)

New Launcher #1: Sold by the Gobling Tinkerer for 15 gold, the Ball Cannon uses Spiky Balls as ammo and has 20% not to consume Spiky Balls. Thrown this way, the balls will not stuck on the ground dealing extra damage but will stick to enemies dealing damage overtime like the Bone Javelins. They cannot be recollected;
New Launcher #2: Star Rifle: Uses Shurikens as ammo, 20% not to consume Shurikens. these Shuriken cannot be recollected and get stuck to walls and enemies;
New Launcher #3: A powerful upgrade of the Star Rifle, the Stellar Machinegun, is crafted with Star Rifle + 20x Soul of Fright + Minishark

I'm already feeling like overdoing it again: no need to add these weapons but it's still cool to tinker with some concepts.

EDIT 01/11/2017: These ideas are rejected concepts I used for this post. I've removed them because hard to implement and because they transcend the idea of "adding only the necessary". Still might be interesting to give it a read. To try the "unarmed" combat I'll talk about, try WeaponsOut mod, which includes fist type weapons.

We have explored all the weapons from all classes and most of them can allow more interaction with multiple damaging sources. 'Enpowered by mana' is a mechanic that allows easy secondary Magic Damage and a fifth pillar for Rogues are decent ideas so let's have fun to consider and potentially reorganize some of those sub-types to always deal damage from two classes.
  • Yo-yos can deal Melee and Throwing damage;
  • Laser weapons can deal Ranged and Magic damage;
  • Bee Gun, Wasp Gun and Bat Scepter can deal Magic and Summon Damage (in this case more of those weapon will be added to create a standalone Magic sub-type);
  • Sentries can deal Summon and Ranged damage;
  • Launchers can deal Throwing and Ranged damage;
  • Boomerangs can deal Melee and Ranged damage;
  • all the empowerment by mana will add Magic damage.

While all of these are all considerations and they are too confusing and drastic than fun, one thing occurred to me.. Melee, Ranged and Magic are the main classes, while Summoners can be considered a mix of Ranged and Magic (You just need to stay away from enemies!) and Throwing weapons have a mixture of Melee and Ranged properties. You can already see where this is leading, a sixth class that uses characteristics of the Melee class and the Magic class, which also allows me to use the empowered by mana mechanic in a very creative way.

The result is the Monk class, that deals Unarmed damage.

This class will use knuckles, sticks, enchanted gloves and special boots to blast you enemies with punches and kicks, having a lot of mana-empowered weapons that allows the class to be just a little bit more 'ranged', for example casting fireballs from his fists using mana to do that. Some of those weapons will use mana to heal the user for every hit, other will boost his speed. The new melee spear mechanic, the Ninja class and this new Monk class also focuses on speed buffs, movement speed and dashes instead of pure damage/crit ratio like current weapons and builds.

It will work this way, once you have your first unarmed weapon equipped (for exemple, Copper Knuckles) you will be able to punch with your LMB (fast attack, low damage, no knockback add a mini-stun effect to prevent the player from taking damage for just being close to an enemy) and kick with RMB (slow attack, high damage, good knockback). This class will be eccelent when taking enemies one on one but will be quickly overcome from masses. You can mitigate this weakness with powerful effects like punching the ground creating a blast with a powerful weapon aside the starting ones.
  • Like I transitioned Daybreak from Melee to the Throwing pillar we can make the same with Nebula Blaze, the perfect example of what a powerful unarmed weapon should look like (LMB will create very big magical fists while RMB will be similar to the actual weapon);
  • Wall of Flesh will drop the Monk Emblem and there will not be a sixth pillar but two more craftable items from the existant pillars;
I wasn't keen on adding a fifth pillar.. a sixth is just too much for a small world to handle! Possible solutions I came up with include:
  1. Only three invading pillars at a time. They can either be randomize or cylce from Melee/Ranged/Magic to Unarmed/Throwing/Summoner. This cylce can happen before the Moon Lord or maybe each three pillars will spawn the Moon Lord and the next Lunatic Cultist will rotate the cycle;
  2. Six invading pillars, with reduced spawn area (three on the right of your town and three on the left);
  3. Three pillars (removing the Stardust pillar from the game). Stardust fragments will be crafted with Vortex fragments + Nebula fragments. With the same mechanic Nebula+Solar='Monk' fragments and Vortex + Solar = 'Ninja' fragments. This concept requires more fragments to drop and implies the duality of the three mixed classes (Throwing, Summoner, Unarmed).

This is a collection of random factors that are not quite on point. The first implementation that came into my mind has already been added to the game in the lastest update (at the time I wrote this part it was 1.3.1). I always thought that Tackle Box, Angler's Earring and High Test Fishing Line shoud have been a single equipment, like the Architect Gizmo Pack. Terraria devs thought the same thing at same time!

Aldready mentioned ideas and new ones:
  1. Adding the item "Dungeon Key" as a dropped item by Skeletron with a 100% drop rate: unlocks the currently unlocked Dungeon Door;
  2. Skeletron now has a small chance to drop the pet item Bone Key that the Dungeon Guardian drops; this two points will make possible to remove the Dungeon Guardian entirely;
  3. The Dye Trader cannot spawn unless there are at least 5 other NPCs. (preventing useless NPC's coming to town too early instead of important ones);
  4. Adding a possible new NPC for the Melee class (The Adventurer), the only main class without a dedicated NPC that sells warrior-related items (Arms Dealer for rangers, Wizard for sorcerers);
  5. Adding a possible new NPC (The Relic Hunter) that allows you to trade rare collectables like Statues or Banners for useful items/coins (not sure about this one);
  6. Adding specific loot in the Underground Desert inside a new type of chest, Sandstone Chest;
  7. Separate equipment slot for Wings (there is already a mod for it);
  8. Moving the Band of Starpower from Chaos Orbs to Wooden Chests; it helps sorcerer's in the early game and it's quite useless by the time you get to the Corruption (as to be replaced);
  9. The Flintock Pistol has to be a Wooden Chest drop or should be sold by the Merchant since it is weaker than the Musket / The Undertaker which is required for the Arms Dealer to spawn;
  10. Make desert fishing a thing by adding a new ingredient fish for a new potion and two new quest fishes. Since as a follow up to the Sandstone Chest and desert-related loot, also Desert Crate is can be added as well (world generation can add small oasis-style ponds, with palm trees and a little bit of grass around it);
  11. Ichor debuff is too strong and it limits the decision of Corruption or Crimson. I think it will still be very powerful if it reduces enemies armor by 10 points instead of 20.

I'd like to see Inventory Tabs implemented to make the inventory less confusing, besides the currency and the ammo tab, more of them could be added if necessary. Rarity of items could also be less confusing being the same even with bad or good prefixes.

Very important to me is the fact that the 'material' tag under weapons, items or gear is highlighted with a different color, like this one, to make it simple to see. Same thing applies to the 'consumable' tag, the ammo type of weapons like guns (example: Musket balls, Bullets) and also to the damage output:

examples:
  • 44+9 ranged damage;
  • 32+15 melee damage;
  • 56+14+8 ranged damage.

EDIT= 17/05/2017: The 1.3.4 update came with new weapons that can have an alternate fire mode and surely provides us with the most interesting weapons ever! Even if I already saw this one as an opportuniy back in the day where I fought an AFM was optimal for the Monk class, I can safely say that this is a feature I can see applied for every classes. Looking forward to see more of this in the future

Fishing is.. almost perfect. Is one of those well implemented mechanics like Yo-yos. What I'd like though is some simple fixes to make a 'Fisherman playthrough' viable.. By the time you'll buy a bug net you probably already have a Reinforced Fishing Pole, making the wooden one quite useless.. But an interesting addition will be to add some form of wood/stone from crates, allowing you to start a game without any tools and manage to collect and build stuff only with fished things. We also want more fishing rewards consistency.. after hundreds of fishing quests there always that item that missed (maybe the Golden Rod, maybe the Golden Bug Net, maybe the Super Absorbant Sponge..). Maybe if you already have these 3 items, instead of giving you another Super Absorbant Sponge you can just give that Bottomless Water Bucket.. right? Also it would be appriciated to have specific desert fishes.. it is weird but imagine how cool it would be if in some deserts could spawn oasis with palm trees, grass and a small lake.

Recent updates tried to make these two biomes parallels.. but there's still much to do. Starting off with Deathweed. A crimson alternative with the same receipes is due.. Crimson world also should have theyr mech boss, summonable through the 'Mechanical Brain' maybe.. I fully embrace the concept of the Motherboard, which is the exact same concept applied in the Tremor mod (check that out!). Spazmatism also either need a counterpart or a small difference in crimson worlds, having a yellow eye instead of green and shooting ichor projectiles instead of cursed flames (as well as a golden shower effect instead of the cursed flamethrower).
A good post about this matter is the Sclerepugnant one that tries specifically to cover this problem with an amazing idea, in which I disagree only in the part that consists in connecting all three eyes with loot and battles while I think it should just be an alternative with nothing more to it. (at best, it will change the Optic Staff)

Probably the Hallowed doesn't need changes.. an entire new biome counterpart to the crimson is too big of a change and won't impact the game that much.. the Hallowed is awesome anyway.. maybe an Hallowed boss?

The Tundra, Desert and Ocean biome are quite small and serve little purpose in the game progression.

• The Desert biome is my favourite by far, but it can benefits from little tweaks. For instance, during pre-hardmode this biome is awesome offering a variety of blocks and interesting enemies but I always felt like you shouldn't sneak your way in at the beginning of the game to steal some loot, I always thought that the entrance should be locked until you can break it with a Nightmare Pickaxe or better, allowing this way the introduction of Desert only loot (like Tundra or Jungle)! To lock the entrance you could change the sandstone to be broken by Nightare Pickaxe or a better one and covering the entrance with sandstone; another idea could be to block the entrance with Desert Fossils and add them also around the Underground Desert. Overall the surface looks fine but it is too rare to find pyramids and I personally would like a better way to "farm" vultures for banners . In my opinion I love a feature of the famous Tremor Mod: the Arabian Merchant NPC and all of his sellings (apart from the way too fast Antlion mount!) and especially the pre-hardmode surface desert boss: The Rukh. This boss has really interesting and creative drops including the Expert only drop (that could be a summon - sentry weapon in the context of my ideas) and also spawns vultures for the banners. Maybe it is too sketchy, but some giant cactuses like the living wood trees could be really fun to explore!

• The Hardmode desert however is a bit tricky because has really cool enemies and estethics with full convertable blocks (usually only half of the desert will turn in hardmode because of the hole in the center, making an awesome split). The only problem is that the hardmode desert is useless; you have no reasons to go there exept Light Shards/Dark Shards (only usefull to craft the Dao of Pow up until now.. both materials are awesome candidates to have more crating recipies with the addition of mods or some of my ideas) So the basilisk maybe would drop something more usefull than Desert Fossils like Basilisk Scales, acting like Dagger Frostfishes or something similar.

[EDIT 1.3.3: This new patch gave new life to Dark Shard and Light Shards giving new recipes and adding a plethora of drops from the enemies as well as new ones.. the sandstorm event and the new songs are also very cool.. good job devs!!]

• The Tundra is quite complete. It has it's own loot in both pre-hardmode and hardmode, unique drops and enemies, an hardmode armor set with a mini-boss. Still it's a relatevely smaller biome and could have something more: a pre-hardmode armor set dropped by Undead Vikings for example and new loot from some uncommon and yet useless mobs like the Wolves (the same way it has been done for Basilisk, Lamias and Desert Spirits in the 1.3.3 patch update).

• The Ocean looks like a 5 minutes adventure to gather a couple of corals and check for Water Chests. In hardmode is just a farmable area for Pirate Maps and maybe Biome Keys and the Duke Fishron's Playground. I'd like to see this biome explored with more space dedicated to the Ocean (giving all the water potions and equipment more use) and adding maybe an Underwater temple with loot, armor set and maybe a boss? The idea that I liked the most is the one used in the Thorium mod; The Queen Jellysifh. A really cool boss, the counterpart of King Slime, that will "drop" a new NPC upon death that sells all kind of good stuff (maybe the Crab mount is too fast but it's not important), especially the Marine Catcher, a really good fishing pole.

It is fine to have a lot of different boots, but in the end only the most powerful pair matters. I'm not a big fan of HUGE equipment because having a choise should be a thing, but 6 slots (including the Expert one) will always fit tight. I asked for a sixth slot and they gave me one, but only in Expert mode, where you probably feel like needing a 7th! So equipment slots are precious and you cannot equip niches or situational equipment and you are forced to 'cheat' spare equipment in the vanity slot and swaps then as you want.
  • Tabi should be a pre-hardmode equipment. Dashing has to be an important feature of the game. I only play Expert, so I have the Shield of Cthulu.. but I also think about Normal mode;
  • Frostspark Boots + Lava Waders (in the end game it's hard to keep vital equipment like Frostspark Boots and you will progressively start to use mounts.. this new equipment will help free a slot in pre-hardmode and give you the effect in hardmode as well, even if it will not be that OP by that point);
  • Celestial Emblem + Mana Flower (keep in mind that with specific sub-type equipment like the Yoyo Bag you cannot afford to run that many class specific equipments. Also Celestial Cuffs are limited to Corrupt worlds so that has to be separate);
  • Making the Hand Warmer drop from hardmode mobs that can cause chill or freeze effect and let's combine it with the Blindfold. I hate that the Blindfold is alone in the making of the Ankh Charm. Now 1.3.3 added the Pocket Mirror with yet another singular debuff immunity from an equipment.. now I'm confused;
  • Paladin's Shield + Frozen Turtle Shell (I would have loved to add the Paladin's Shield with the Ankh Shield, but just imagine a multiplayer world where every player will absorb 25% of damage to the others..);
  • Why the Architect Gizmo Pack doesn't include the Presserator, the Toolbelt, and the Toolbox? I get that the Toolbox is a drop from Christmas, and like the Hand Warmer is useless alone so just make it drop/sold by someone outside the Christmas event so we can easily combine these items.. Christmas presents already have a lot of drops.. the point is; why having complete and definitive equipment specialized in something if there's still something else you're missing?;
  • A fishing equipment/potion that will make you drop double the fishes at once? is it too much?;
  • I think it is a good thing that Expert equipment are unique and are not materials.

Miscellaneous:
  • How about a pre-hardmode invasion event, the Zombie Apocalypse? With all the gruesome drops and super big zombies like a colossal abomination mini boss? Worth taking into consideration;
  • Oh my god.. please nerf the bees! Impossibile to hit, frustrating to fight against and they deal so much damage! The Jungle is super hard with those new hive! There is no reason why bees should be that strong! EDIT 1.3.3: They got nerfed! maybe in previous patches, I don't remember, but they are much more bearable now;
  • Active and Inactive Stone Blocks are relics of the past; I think it's time to remove them from the game to have Actuators instead on normal stone blocks.. it would be interesting to have naturally generated Actuators;
  • I really don't like the fact that you start the game without a cart in your inventory but with actually a wooden cart; same thing with the hook that allows you to climb ropes. I think both should be easily craftable and with more upgrades. (a new cart that will go faster underwater instead of slower and a faster hook for ropes are some examples);
  • I'm OK with Skeletron allowing the Dryad to sell Shiverthorn Planter Box but the Waterleaf one should be granted after a Desert/Ocean boss.. which of course had to implemented; the Deathweed crimon variant that I wanted whould have a different Planter Box as well. Those Planters should be planted only with theyr respective plant, it wouldn't make sense otherwise;
  • Banners are not complete.. most critters and some enemies (like The Bride) don't have a kill count and a banner and I think it's an easy fix;
  • Some old vanities are a little bit sketchy: The Pink Eskimo, the Hero vanity, the Tuxedo vanity and the Archeologist set.. they recipies are quite weird and they don't include silk also (not necessary but make sense). For example the pink thread sold by the Clothier is quite pointless and the Pink Eskimo should not be a different armor set but just the way a normal Eskimo set looks with pink dye;
  • More Goblin Invasion and Frost Legion loot. A goblin vanity set, a longbow dropped by goblin archers, a magic spell dropped by the goblin sorcerer and maybe an armor set from the warriors are some examples. The Frost Legion is pointless and I think it should be removed from the game.. it is easier to do that than revamp it;
  • Truffle should be allowed to live underground right? it is quite annoying being forced to build his own biome on an island because on the surface will spawn enemies and will darkned your area.

Thanks to whoever tries this apocalyptic quest of reading at least some of my thoughts about the game.. I will update new ideas and improvements as time passes. Thanks to all, see Ya!

Last edited:
Light Disc is pretty crucial to a Melee player.
I guess is more crucial for a throwing player, that doesn't exist yet :happy:
Jokes aside I personally never used Light Disc after 1.1, other weapons supplement the boss necessities better (Dao of Paw, Chain Guillotines, Ice Sickle, Hel-Fire/Amarok) and If changes of this sort (like swapping a good portion of melee weapon to the ninja class) will be applied, of course new melee weapons will take their place

Sclerepugnant? Seems about right. ICHOR FOR THE WIN!
Anyways, the fact that the crimson hasn't gotten this yet is insane.

Stay in drugs,
Don't do vegetables,
Eat your school.

Wait...

Last edited:
Some of these suggestions sound good but 2 big points.
1. The throwing class will sadly never become a full class.
EYl9ozn.jpg

In case the image breaks: http://i.imgur.com/EYl9ozn.jpg
2. A lot of this stuff would require a lot of reworking of things. Changing how Skeletron and he dungeon works, the whole mana empowered weapons, trying to create a whole new class and give it it's own pillar. It would be a HUGE undertaking to try and put all this in. This would be like a 1.4 type update yet if 1.4 becomes a thing I assume they already have plans for it.

I can see that a LOT of time was put into this though and it would be cool to see some of this stuff get put in :). Some of that stuff is a little OP though lol :p

Some of these suggestions sound good but 2 big points.
1. The throwing class will sadly never become a full class.
EYl9ozn.jpg

In case the image breaks: http://i.imgur.com/EYl9ozn.jpg
2. A lot of this stuff would require a lot of reworking of things. Changing how Skeletron and he dungeon works, the whole mana empowered weapons, trying to create a whole new class and give it it's own pillar. It would be a HUGE undertaking to try and put all this in. This would be like a 1.4 type update yet if 1.4 becomes a thing I assume they already have plans for it.

I can see that a LOT of time was put into this though and it would be cool to see some of this stuff get put in :). Some of that stuff is a little OP though lol :p

1. Well, I didn't know about Cenx tweet, maybe things will change in the future, I don't know, a man can dream anyway! My suggestions are just personal changes I would like to see, without any expectation;
  2. I know it require some reworking but that is exactly what you need to do when you update a game :D:D jokes aside, I don't think the Skeletron changes are too difficult to implement; add the Key drop, add a new specific door with the same mechanic as an existing temple door and remove a 'debug' entity as the Dungeon Guardian; but than again, I know nothing about programming.
Mana Empowerement is a bit of a challange and I agree that the idea of the new class and pillar is drastic and radical to say the least and probably not worth working on it.

The EbM and the new class (and maybe the laser category for rangers as well) are utopian solutions that might be modded material.. while everything else is just ballancing up existing features (I'll add a clarification in the post, thanks for putting that out for me).

Can you tell me what you think is OP? It's for curiosity's sake; I'll change the post if I'll agree with you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom