PS4 Suggestions for inventory and GUI

Are you talking about how the axe cursor jumps a space high when on the right side? I think I remember experiencing the same thing. A little off topic but are the world sizes on console smaller? I did the dungeon earlier and it seemed really small. Not very deep or long. I figured the sizes were shrunk due to limitations with last gen hardware. I know it's unlikely but I would love to see some continuity between pc and console now that new and expensive hardware will allow for it. It's crazy but I have never even played multiplayer on console Terraria. On other games, you meet people that play the same game in multiplayer lobbies. Since Terraria is lacking that, I never meet anyone that even has it. I don't have a ton of psn friends but I have around twenty. None of them play Terraria (their loss) so I never even have had the chance. This isn't a gripe about Terraria lacking lobbies, just my unique experience with this specific aspect.

Are you talking about how the axe cursor jumps a space high when on the right side? I think I remember experiencing the same thing. A little off topic but are the world sizes on console smaller? I did the dungeon earlier and it seemed really small. Not very deep or long. I figured the sizes were shrunk due to limitations with last gen hardware. I know it's unlikely but I would love to see some continuity between pc and console now that new and expensive hardware will allow for it. It's crazy but I have never even played multiplayer on console Terraria. On other games, you meet people that play the same game in multiplayer lobbies. Since Terraria is lacking that, I never meet anyone that even has it. I don't have a ton of psn friends but I have around twenty. None of them play Terraria (their loss) so I never even have had the chance. This isn't a gripe about Terraria lacking lobbies, just my unique experience with this specific aspect.

Close enough,the root was always targeted by the automatic cursor.The same thing for me,small,medium,and large size of 1 world.But it may lack certain items unlike the pc.Coin gun,Duke,many more.My dungeon is llloonngg,it depends on the generation.Also,Terraria PS3 has a bit of a problem in Multiplayer.Always error for me but I can go to my friend's world.But my best friend cannot join in mine and I cannot join his.

When will they fix it?

Off topic ranting (even if it's to prove a point) is rude and disruptive and totally lacking in content. If you have nothing to add to a discussion then you don't have to participate :) please read our Rules (link in my sig) so you can avoid any issues in the future :)
ok i will

When taking into account how inexpensive game Terraria on PS4 etc. was/is, i certainly would be more than happy to pay for additions/updates/content for years to come. Seriously Mr.Rudi, if it's about financial matters then just say so. I personally have Terraria on every platform except android, and i did know what to expect. However if more $ equals more content then so be it. I feel pretty confident saying, that for most people here including me Terraria is not just a game, it's a lifestyle like Minecraft is for some people.

So, if more money equals to be able to expect on par content with PC, then i'll buy 10 copies of Terraria for starters. And i am not the kind of person that spreads hard earned money without some serious tought, some Patreon supporting and a few kickstarter projects backed but that's about it. Do not underestimate your fanbase :)

Well put. A lifestyle choice indeed. I think of it as being a Chevy man or a Ford man. While you can like both, you only love one. I feel the same as you. I own Terraria on every platform that I own, except iOS. If extra content needs to be bought, then I'll buy. I have stated before that when 1.2 came out for pc, I would have paid twenty or more for it. The point is, if Terraria doesn't keep updating on console, people will get tired of what's available and move on. If Terraria was still version 1.1, it would will still be played but not at nearly the scope it is now. Dont underestimate your fan base is completely true. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I'm just saying, you have a fanbase willing to pay, willing to give input, willing to help anyway we can to better improve the experience. I just hope the developers are just as determined to develop the game. I understand the D Pad not something you'd want to lose but there needs to be something to free up the player like how free it is in the PC. I understand you might not like the way the PC has it but take it from me and I'm sure the rest of the fanbase, it works! It allows the player to attack, defend, and craft all at the same time. You wouldn't want your new game otherworld to make the player freeze up just to organize the inventory and craft something would you? Terraria has a feel, especially for boss fights, events, etc. that requires the freedom to craft on the go otherwise its like an mmo where you have to hope you brought enough arrows, potions, ect. to the fight or your screwed. I cant tell you how many times I've died just because there was a chest in the cavern and I didn't have room nor wanted some of the items just because it was on a cliff and I was pushed off or in a high leveled enemy spawned in. You need that freedom to play Terraria or else the gameplay falls apart. I'd just like to see a way to use a better hud that doesnt require me to shout "hey monsters time out I gotta make some arrows please!"

i just would like to have an honest discussion about the direction of console Terraria with Engine Software. We made great arguements and it seems they have gone unnoticed. I will say this. Terraria deserves better as far as consoles are concerned. Intuitive and simple interface changes are not too much to ask for. It doesn't take a genius to realise that the inventory and crafting interfaces need to evolve. What worked on last gen does not necessarily work now. When we suggested changes, we were given the reason that it was just too much work and too complex to implement. Terraria deserves better. Terraria deserves to be the best it can be on consoles and it needs forward thinking to get it done. Keeping the game held back for the sake of continuity between current and last gen is a mistake. People arent buying last gen systems at the rate of curent gen. Sales of last gen systems will decline and so will sales of last gen copies of Terraria. The future of Terraria for consoles rests on next gen hardware. I suggest ceasing development of new content and features for owners of last gen Terraria. Put all the effort and time into the future of the game, not the past. Until this happens, we will be stuck with old Terraria interface and inventory systems. I will say it again, Terraria simply deserves better. Cross play is just an excuse to hold it back and keep from actually implementing sweeping changes to antiquated GUI systems.

Since this seems to be circling back on itself let me remind you of this post from an Engine Dev:
Not to be the devil's advocate, but you already have the content you paid for, which would be Terraria as it was released. You are not entitled in any way, shape or form to get free updates (on any platform for that matter). Be thankful that you do. As far as I know the shop description of Terraria does not state "includes free updates for life". Not that I don't get where you are coming from, because I do, but seeing as how many people seem to think they deserve to get every game Re-Logic will ever put out in the future till the end of time because they bought Terraria tells me that entitlement should be kept in check a little bit more.

That being said, I doubt like some other people have said as well, that Cross-Play will be dropped any time soon since it is a huge selling point. The D-Pad for hot bar selection is nog going to go away either, are you kidding me? I use that non-stop, it is probably the best feature we added :) I have my main weapon, my drax, torches and a hamaxe always set and switch probably 20 times a minute. So does everybody else I know.

In regards to the UI, there are plusses and minusses to either system...I personally thought the PC crafting UI was the worst UI ever till Red added the little block that shows you everything you can craft. In any case, you will have to convince 505 to put a ton of money into revamping the GUI since even though a "GUI is so easy to make" (did you ever make one?) with the hard coded nature of Terraria, nothing is easy to change...it's not like all the crafting recipes and items are in a nice database or anything (they are not)....creating the original console UI took months.

Oh and @StarXStone : you make some really good points and good suggestions, but I do want to add that "go get glasses then" is not an attitude that we can permit ourselves as game designers. Nor is it a very good attitude in general. We get more complaints about everything being too small on next-gen than anything else.

Out of everything, I like the idea of a transparency option for the whole UI and I have always liked @StarXStone 's suggestion to have multiple sizes for next-gen. Unfortunately that is not as easy as it sounds, since you have to redraw *everything* to look right in a smaller size (they are pixel graphics, scaling would look stupid), then you have to reposition *everything* on your screen etc. etc. I still would love to do that though, so I guess it goes on my suggestion list :)

They're not going to just abandon 'last gen' after they've already promised to continue updates, that would cause an uproar nearly as big as the 1.2 debacle.

Yes, I read the post months back when it was posted. We have no right to updates and we have all the content we paid for. You say that they arent going to "abandon" Terraria like it will never stop being updated for consoles. At some point, it will. Engine Software stopping updates then will be called abandonment? You and I cannot at least agree that Terraria on next gen has more shelf life than last? Putting more time and effort into a version of a game that has declining playership is logical? Putting time and rescources into the next gen makes sense. Sales of Terraria on next gen only have one place to go from here. Up. But companies like Engine don't have honest debates about this kind of thing with customers. They keep us at a comfortable arms length and give out the same cookie cutter statements when asked about it. Then when we say we have some say about it, because we shelled out money we are told we are not entitled in any way, shape or form to any future changes or content. If that is how they truly operate, why not remind everyone of that before they purchase the game. The description may not say "Free updates for life" but it sure doesnt say "Have no expectation of updates" either.

Yes, I read the post months back when it was posted. We have no right to updates and we have all the content we paid for. You say that they arent going to "abandon" Terraria like it will never stop being updated for consoles. At some point, it will. Engine Software stopping updates then will be called abandonment? You and I cannot at least agree that Terraria on next gen has more shelf life than last? Putting more time and effort into a version of a game that has declining playership is logical? Putting time and rescources into the next gen makes sense. Sales of Terraria on next gen only have one place to go from here. Up. But companies like Engine don't have honest debates about this kind of thing with customers. They keep us at a comfortable arms length and give out the same cookie cutter statements when asked about it. Then when we say we have some say about it, because we shelled out money we are told we are not entitled in any way, shape or form to any future changes or content. If that is how they truly operate, why not remind everyone of that before they purchase the game. The description may not say "Free updates for life" but it sure doesnt say "Have no expectation of updates" either.
I said they aren't going to abandon 'last gen' as in, they're not going to stop updating last gen while continuing to update 'current gen'. Updates will stop for Terraria eventually, both PC and console. Re-Logic, 505, and Engine will all move on to new titles eventually.

While I'm sure next gen will go on for longer than last, it doesn't mean now is the time to abandon last gen. Current gen has only been around for a couple of years, it will still be some time before last gen is entirely obsolete.

The fact is that Re-Logic has spoiled us all by giving us these massive content updates. When you buy a game you're buying it as is, that's how buying stuff works, unless you're paying for Early Access.

You're basically saying that you want them to break their promise of cross-play compatibility as well as fulfill promises that they never made.

I suggest ceasing development of new content and features for owners of last gen Terraria.

Yes, let's abandon the ~4 million players we have on previous gen in favor of the < 500,000 players that play the game on next-gen. Makes perfect business sense. The Playstation 4 and Xbox One only have a fraction of the installed base that previous-gen has. We are not yet at the point where it makes sense to let go of the old stuff and a community of millions of players in the process. That would be ridiculous.

Put all the effort and time into the future of the game, not the past.

Terraria is four years old, perhaps we should just put all of our efforts into something new instead of clinging to the past. Not what you meant? It is the exact same argument though.

All that aside, some of the suggestions made here have been added to our list of recommendations to 505 at which point it is up to them to decide if they want to invest in implementing those changes. I will state again that redoing the UI in Terraria is a huge amount of work (take the time you think it would take, and multiply it by 3 or 4 at minimum) so it is not a "oh yeah, that'll take 3 days - lets do it" decision. To me it would make sense if 505 would wait with any decision that has a large impact till after 1.3 is out...if 1.3 changes a whole bunch of things in regards to the UI, you might do a whole lot of redundant work.

But companies like Engine don't have honest debates about this kind of thing with customers.

Calling me a liar is a bold statement that does not motivate me to have any form of discussion. If you could point me towards any statement we made that are dishonest, I will apologize. Until then, I would highly recommend refraining from any type of judgment in regards to what companies like mine do and don't do.

Then when we say we have some say about it, because we shelled out money we are told we are not entitled in any way, shape or form to any future changes or content. If that is how they truly operate, why not remind everyone of that before they purchase the game.

Free updates are not the norm. Taking community suggestions into account is not the norm. That this happens with Terraria is only because there are some genuinely awesome people working on these games. I just think it is funny - in a sad way - that you comment negatively on "how they operate" while absolutely no developer in the world even comes close to the openness of the developers of Terraria.

Last edited:
Nobody called you a liar so dont put words in my mouth. Make changes or don't. Misconstrue my statements or take them for face value. "Yes, let's abandon the ~4 million players we have on previous gen in favor of the < 500,000 players that play the game on next-gen. Makes perfect business sense." Really, since they arent entitled to updates how would you be abandoning them exactly? They have the game they paid for. How can you call stopping updates abandonment? And putting effort into the future of the same game is not the same as dropping it all together and moving on. Terraria is still relevant and more so than new games coming out. Again, don't put words in my mouth and say thats what I meant or even that its the same for arguements sake. And again, I didnt call you a liar. Those words were never even typed and I never even implied that you are. My comment about how they operate was in no way directed at Re-Logic or anyone that works on PC Terraria so dont group yourself in with them for the sake of arguement. I have nothing but respect and admiration as far as they are concerned. And no other company even comes close to Terraria in terms of openness. Really. Not in the whole history of indie gaming or gaming period. That is a bold statement. And I stand by my statements. I made a generalization about companies like Engine and you took it personally. You have no idea what context I even made that statement from. If you really want to debate this, IM me and we can do it there. There are all just personal opinions and if I am breaking no rules by saying them here, on my thread, then lets just agree to disagree.

Nobody called you a liar so dont put words in my mouth. Make changes or don't. Misconstrue my statements or take them for face value. "Yes, let's abandon the ~4 million players we have on previous gen in favor of the < 500,000 players that play the game on next-gen. Makes perfect business sense." Really, since they arent entitled to updates how would you be abandoning them exactly? They have the game they paid for. How can you call stopping updates abandonment?

Ok, let me rephrase that: "as long as the decision stands to keep supporting Terraria, it would not be a fair decision to ignore/drop a very large part of your player base that play your game on older systems.". As long as you keep updating, update it for everyone. Of course there will be a point where this becomes an economical decision that 505 Games will have to make but currently the player base on the previous gen systems is of such significant size that it would make no sense to stop support for them.

My comment about how they operate was in no way directed at Re-Logic or anyone that works on PC Terraria so dont group yourself in with them for the sake of arguement.

You are correct, my apologies for that part. I do get frustrated at times by the general entitlement I see these days and responded more on that general feeling than what you actually said.

If you really want to debate this, IM me and we can do it there.
Done (mainly to clear the air).

Mr. Rudi. Let me start by saying my comment about companies like yours not having honest debates was, as it turns out, to be completely false. I shouldn't make broad generalizations because of my experiences in the past. For that, I am sorry. I would also like to say that I am completely open minded. When I am presented with evidence that is contrary to my beliefs, I consider it carefully and adjust my view accordingly. In this case, I was mistaken about Engine Software. One, I had no idea that when you spoke on behalf of Engine, that you were indeed Engine Software. And two, you present valid information and in light of that, I can agree that stopping development, at this point, on last gen would be a mistake. Financialy and otherwise. And I can also agree that the work needed to implement the changes suggested here, would take alot of time and effort. I apprectiate the words from the message you sent. I was introduced to Terraria when I found it on PSN while I still played my Ps3. For that, I thank you. I have a special place in my heart for console Terraria and that tends to make me a little over zealous. I just want you to know that my comments earlier came out of that love I have for console Terraria. You said that these suggestions have been added to a list and thats good enough for me. You seem to know what needs to be done so I leave it in your capable hands. Thank you for your time and hashing this out with me. Again, sorry for the unnecessary statements about Engine.

As I said, the PM was to clear the air and I am glad we did. I have stated before there have been several good points and suggestions made in this thread (we actually tried the transparent UI in Otherworld - I was ugly as hell LOL) but our influence does not go beyond "making suggestions to the publisher". If something is easy to do we sometimes just do it (like making an option for how the gravity potion works) but changes to the UI are always pretty severe unfortunately and impact the budget that 505 pays for, so it is their decision in the end. If there are any updates on this I will post them here but seeing the content we still have to port and buggy issues that could be improved as well, I would not get my hopes up on anything moving quickly, especially since 1.3 has a UI overhaul as well.

And in the span of about one day DoA seemed to adopt my attitude of understanding and patients, there might still be hope for humanity! All joking aside thank you MrRudi for your time and helping clear the air and a big thank you for even recommending the list we suggested, it was very kind and you didn't have to take your busy time to do it. I also feel a bit meek as I didn't know that only a fraction of new gen's play Terraria, had I known that I wouldnt have said as much or shelved this conversation for further in the future when 505 deemed it necessary to start focusing on next gen, I thought they just uploaded it then went back to last gen to in a polite way "upload and drop" the game while uploading content for the last gens. Now that I know they were 'fishing' with it to see if it does as well I understand completely why the priority is low and seeing as making it for ps3 wouldn't work and that ps4 is a different format would be a redundant effort. Not only that but to make it when 1.3, to my understanding, will possibly ruin efforts made on the UI or any other content for that matter, would also be wasted efforts and I can see how it would be pointless to at this moment try to make progress with it. I recommend to anyone reading this conversation to just wait, support the next gen by buying it, and understand that we are lucky to have new content at all.

And with that, everything returns to normal in Happy Happy Forum Land. Our heroes retire to a campfire for some hot cocoa and to sing about patience and understanding. Except for DoA. He cracks open a cold one and plays rock music to drown out the sound of some guys campfire singalong next door. The End.

Back
Top Bottom