PC Summoner 1.4.1: a guide to success

Kane Schmitz

Spazmatism
NOTE: STILL VERY MUCH A WIP
I’d recommend a Journey mode character for an easy summon.
Trek down to the ice biome and research the gold/platinum you find and Flinx Fur. You’ll need 100 gold/platinum ore to research it, and 14 to craft the Flinx set. Magic mirror up to spawn and craft a Flinx Fur Coat, Flinx Staff, and a Gold/Platinum helmet and boots. With that, you should be able to survive. Now, you need a whip. If you’re feeling bold, trek to the jungle and gather 12 stingers, 3 vines and 3 spores. If not, complete 10% of the bestiary (53 entries) to let the zoologist move in, where you can buy the Leather Whip.
King slime isn’t necessary if you got a variant of Hermes boots. I’d recommend a semi-flat long area with a few campfires. With how slow King Slime is, the Flinx Staff will be very effective. Rinse and repeat until you have a Slime Hook and Slimy Saddle.
you can reuse the King Slime arena for this. Use the Slimy saddle or Hermes Boots. Just run in a direction, occasionally getting close to whack the eye a few times with your whip. If you’re in expert mode, the Shield of Cthulhu will be very useful.
Get a Fishing Rod and research some form of bait. Then go blood moon fishing (time paused at midnight) to get the Vampire Frog Staff, a Shark Tooth Necklace and 3 Bloody Tears to research
At this point, you need the Snapthorn, if you don’t have it already. Use the pre-existing cave for your arena, just put in 3 rows of platforms, with plenty of space. You’ll need 26 bloody tissue. Head back up and craft the Deathbringer Pickaxe.
Build a lengthy arena on the surface. Blast 2 orbs, and drop a bomb on the last orb, and then book it for the surface. Try your best to aim for the head. All you need is 26 shadow scales and plenty of Demonite.
Just use a small arena by a giant hive, and a few easy buffs. This boss isn’t necessary for progression unless you prefer bee armor over obsidian armor.
Before, you’ll need to gather 100 obsidian and 100 cobweb. Research them, turn a bunch of cobweb into silk, and craft Obsidian Armor. Travel to the dungeon and build an arena that’s long and has 2 rows of platforms. Combined with your summons, armor and whip, it should be easy
Not much to say. Beat the gobilns, find the tinkerer, buy a workshop and rocket boots, go to spawn and craft frostspark boots.
Head into the dungeon to get 90 bones, a Cobalt Shield and a Bewitching table. Head back up and craft the Spinal Tap and Obsidian Shield. Then go to the witch doctor during night and grab the Pygmy necklace. Go back to the jungle and grab Feral Claws. Build a Hellbridge across a 1/4 (normal), 1/2 (expert), 3/4 (master) 4/4 (FTW) of the underworld. Mine 100 Hellstone and research it. Craft a Molten Pickaxe. You can use the researched Hellstone for money. From there, you’re good to go. Balance your summons between the Flinx and Vampire Frog for good damage output. Grab some buffs and kill the wall.
Kill WoF until you get the Firecracker. Travel to a Spider nest and gather 25 spider fangs, which you will then research and use to make the Spider Staff, Queen Spider Staff and spider armor. Proceed to smash altars (infection spread off) until you have cleared out at least one crimson/corruption biome. Proceed to mine HM ores until you have the necessary materials to make a new anvil (not a forge, you don’t need it as a summoner). Go farming for materials to get 8 souls of light and night, a frost core and an Ice Feather. Craft a Cool Whip and go to space for 20 souls, so you can get a new pair of wings.
A long arena, with plenty of buffs. The only items needed from this boss is the Blade Staff (and the Gelatinous pillion, if you’re that guy). Travel to the ocean, sitting in a box, and go blood moon fishing for the Dreadnautilus, which drops the Sanguine Staff. The blade staff will be good with the dreadnautilus’ speed.
This boss is the best one to take on at this stage. Try to aim for the hands. If you hit the hand you didn’t intend to hit, the whip’s ability will still damage it. You’ll need plenty of room to run. battle this boss repeatedly until you get 25 Hallowed bars. Research them and make Hallowed Armor (with the hood) and a Durendal. All-around upgrades.
Use the gear you currently have for this. The arena needs to be long and tall for this fight. Focus on one eye at a time, specifically Retinazer, which is a lesser threat than the other. Once that eye is down, kill Spazmatism. And I am not over exaggerating when I say run for your :red:ing life. Those cursed flames will kill you in 3 seconds. If you want more consistent damage at a distance, try using the Blade Staff. With this eye down, you are one step closer to Plantera and you can make a new summon, the Optic Staff. It’s pretty powerful, since it spawns 2 minions in while only counting as 1, but there is the fact that it catches on blocks.
For this one, stock up on defense and healing buffs specifically. You could also get the Brain of Confusion, which would also help.In combination with the Cool Whip’s ability and the Twins’ Piercing, it shouldn’t take too long. With this, you can make the Drax, which will be useful for the next boss.
This boss is well.. challenging. With the Sanguine staff, Hallowed Armor and all of your good gear. That’s all I can really say. Afterwards, farm for the Desert Key for a new summon.
Go to the witch doctor for a new armor set. Tiki Armor with the Sanguine Staff and Durendal will work pretty well. Farm The Empress at night until you get the Kaleidoscope. Then, you do it during the day. For this, use Hallowed Armor, the Sanguine Staff, your new Kaleidoscope, a Brain of Confusion, and a Black Belt. Good luck. Upon defeat, you get the Terraprisma, the last summon upgrade you’ll need.
The pumpkin moon will suck. But with Tiki armor, the Terraprisma and Kaleidoscope, it shouldn’t be too hard. You need 750 Spooky wood, the Dark Harvest and Necromantic Scroll.With that, craft spooky armor and upgrade the Scroll to the Papyrus Scarab, and you’re ready for ML
With your current gear, this shouldn’t take any time. Use the Dark Harvest, and when the hands are gone, switch to the Kaleidoscope. There isn’t really anything you need from this boss.

Last edited:
NOTE: STILL VERY MUCH A WIP
I’d recommend a Journey mode character for an easy summon.
Trek down to the ice biome and research the gold/platinum you find and Flinx Fur. You’ll need 100 gold/platinum ore to research it, and 14 to craft the Flinx set. Magic mirror up to spawn and craft a Flinx Fur Coat, Flinx Staff, and a Gold/Platinum helmet and boots. With that, you should be able to survive. Now, you need a whip. If you’re feeling bold, trek to the jungle and gather 12 stingers, 3 vines and 3 spores. If not, complete 10% of the bestiary (53 entries) to let the zoologist move in, where you can buy the Leather Whip.
King slime isn’t necessary if you got a variant of Hermes boots. I’d recommend a semi-flat long area with a few campfires. With how slow King Slime is, the Flinx Staff will be very effective. Rinse and repeat until you have a Slime Hook and Slimy Saddle.
you can reuse the King Slime arena for this. Use the Slimy saddle or Hermes Boots. Just run in a direction, occasionally getting close to whack the eye a few times with your whip. If you’re in expert mode, the Shield of Cthulhu will be very useful.
At this point, you need the Snapthorn, if you don’t have it already. Use the pre-existing cave for your arena, just put in 3 rows of platforms, with plenty of space. You’ll need 26 bloody tissue. Head back up and craft the Deathbringer Pickaxe.
Build a lengthy arena on the surface. Blast 2 orbs, and drop a bomb on the last orb, and then book it for the surface. Try your best to aim for the head. All you need is 26 shadow scales and plenty of Demonite.
Just use a small arena by a giant hive, and a few easy buffs. All you need is 14 bee was for a new summon.
Before, you’ll need to gather 100 obsidian and 100 cobweb. Research them, turn a bunch of cobweb into silk, and craft Obsidian Armor. Travel to the dungeon and build an arena that’s long and has 2 rows of platforms. Combined with your new summon, armor and whip, it should be easy
Head into the dungeon to get 90 bones and a Cobalt Shield. Head back up and craft the Spinal Tap and Obsidian Shield. Then go to the witch doctor during night and grab the Pygmy necklace. Go back to the jungle and grab Feral Claws. Build a Hellbridge across a 1/4 (normal), 1/2 (expert), 3/4 (master) 4/4 (FTW) of the underworld. Mine 100 Hellstone and research it. Craft a Molten Pickaxe and Imp Staff.

Looks good so far, but I have a few suggestions

I strongly recommend players to get the Vampire Frog staff as soon as possible and use that until Hornets come in to play, and then after that using them for the Wall as well.

They have a very good DPS potential, just under Hornets for airborne targets like Queen Bee and Skeletron, and much higher than anything else against targets like the Wall which they can consistently reach.

Vampire Frog Staff can be easily cheesed as well. Find a good oasis, and build an enclosed box around it. Use stair hoiks to be able to fish into the box without letting any enemies out, and just spend the entire blood moon fishing. You can get as many as 10 fish by the time the blood moon ends. Then you just cast your minion into the box and let it, slowly but eventually, kill everything in the box. When you do this, getting the vampire frog is only a matter of getting a blood moon or not.

Also, I don’t recommend Imps. Sounds weird, but they really don’t do as well as you would think. Although their single target DPS is higher than Hornets in a vacuum, they profit *much* less from whip tags due to their base damage and Hornets will actually do better if you’re running a whip. Additionally, Imps do increasingly worse in higher numbers because the fireballs pierce and can interrupt each other. Vampire Frogs and Hornets are better choices in each of Imp’s two niches - crowd ability and single target damage, respectively.

I’d also add Shark Tooth Necklace to potential items, it’s much more valuable for summoners than other classes because the base damage on minions is usually much lower so they profit much more from 2-3 extra damage a hit.

Last thing is that I’d recommend writing the guide assuming the player isn’t running Journey Mode, but acknowledge the fact that you get Finch for free if you do.

Edit: and make sure to mention summoning potions and the bewitching table, extra minions prehardmode. When you use these, also note that your minion count is too high for all the frogs to consistently deal damage so you should run 2-3 frogs and the rest hornets.

Aside from that, it looks good so far.

I strongly recommend players to get the Vampire Frog staff as soon as possible and use that until Hornets come in to play, and then after that using them for the Wall as well.

They have a very good DPS potential, just under Hornets for airborne targets like Queen Bee and Skeletron, and much higher than anything else against targets like the Wall which they can consistently reach.

Vampire Frog Staff can be easily cheesed as well. Find a good oasis, and build an enclosed box around it. Use stair hoiks to be able to fish into the box without letting any enemies out, and just spend the entire blood moon fishing. You can get as many as 10 fish by the time the blood moon ends. Then you just cast your minion into the box and let it, slowly but eventually, kill everything in the box. When you do this, getting the vampire frog is only a matter of getting a blood moon or not.

Also, I don’t recommend Imps. Sounds weird, but they really don’t do as well as you would think. Although their single target DPS is higher than Hornets in a vacuum, they profit *much* less from whip tags due to their base damage and Hornets will actually do better if you’re running a whip. Additionally, Imps do increasingly worse in higher numbers because the fireballs pierce and can interrupt each other. Vampire Frogs and Hornets are better choices in each of Imp’s two niches - crowd ability and single target damage, respectively.

I’d also add Shark Tooth Necklace to potential items, it’s much more valuable for summoners than other classes because the base damage on minions is usually much lower so they profit much more from 2-3 extra damage a hit.

Last thing is that I’d recommend writing the guide assuming the player isn’t running Journey Mode, but acknowledge the fact that you get Finch for free if you do.

I'd also recommend to get a lot of bloody tears for hardmode so you can get and defeat the dreadnautilus.It is a great thing to do pre-mechs and will carry you all the way till plantera.I also recommend researching the butterflies of the empress that you find in the hallow.Your going to use a lot of tehm.

Edit: and make sure to mention summoning potions and the bewitching table, extra minions prehardmode. When you use these, also note that your minion count is too high for all the frogs to consistently deal damage so you should run 2-3 frogs and the rest hornets.

I'd also recommend to get a lot of bloody tears for hardmode so you can get and defeat the dreadnautilus.It is a great thing to do pre-mechs and will carry you all the way till plantera.I also recommend researching the butterflies of the empress that you find in the hallow.Your going to use a lot of tehm.
I added what you recommended, but I will still consider this as a Journey Mode guide, as that is by far the most used mode.

The flinx staff and vampire frog are the best minions in pre hardmode, although they have low base damage thier high attack speed allows them reach higher dps than any of the other minions. Not to mention the high attack speed synergies with tag bonuses better. The vamp frog has a higher base damage, while the flinx staff is much more reliable against flying enemies.

But wait what about i frames??? Easy split your minion slots between vampire frogs and flinxes, They use seperate static immunity slots meaning flinxes won't interfere with vamp frogs and vice versa.

Once you get these you have no reason to use any of the other pre hardmode minions.

The Flinx gives
The flinx staff and vampire frog are the best minions in pre hardmode, although they have low base damage thier high attack speed allows them reach higher dps than any of the other minions. Not to mention the high attack speed synergies with tag bonuses better. The vamp frog has a higher base damage, while the flinx staff is much more reliable against flying enemies.

But wait what about i frames??? Easy split your minion slots between vampire frogs and flinxes, They use seperate static immunity slots meaning flinxes won't interfere with vamp frogs and vice versa.

Once you get these you have no reason to use any of the other pre hardmode minions.
Noted, and modified

In the guide, you said to craft the Optic Staff and fight the Destroyer with it. The Optic Staff is horrible, and has immunity problems. The Sanguine Staff is a much better option for that boss. Oh, and please don’t mention any of these minions, they suck and should never be used: Optic Staff, Deadly Sphere Staff and Tempest Staff.

I will still consider this as a Journey Mode guide, as that is by far the most used mode.
Really? I might be weird but I only use journey if I'm playing with friends and don't want to find a million life crystals. Even if it's most common I wouldn't be surprised if most players don't research items and only use it for the other features. Maybe I'm totally wrong though.

But wouldn't tempest staff have at least some use if you get it pre-plantera? Like, some people like fighting duke pre-mechs or alongside mechs for his wings (or the mount if you're in expert), so if you get the tempest staff at that point, why not use it?

Back
Top Bottom