Weapons & Equip Summoner Balances

nphelps220

Official Terrarian
Hello, Terrarians! By this point, I think we can all agree that the Summoner class is ridiculously hard to use early-on. The only way to *really* play it is to get lucky with the Slime Staff. As such, I will be using this thread to suggest balances for Summoner class.

Bunny Staff (1 Bunny, 10 Wood)
-Early game summoning weapon
-Pitiful damage output, but easy to make
-Summons a killer bunny that hops at enemies

Gold Bunny Staff (1 Gold Bunny, 10 Gold/Platinum)
-Stronger than Bunny Staff
-Kinda rare
-Summons a fabulous bunny that leaps at enemies

Summoner Caps (Same cost as helmets)
-Made with Hardmode ores
-Summon variant of helms/headgear/hoods/etc
-Better defense than Spider but lower minion buffs

Shortsword Change
-Made with more ores (like HM ores and such)
-Damage type is unspecified (gains buffs from everything except, say, increased rocket damage or yoyo damage)
-Allows mages to defend themselves while waiting for Mana to recharge, rangers if they run out of ammo, and summoners... well... always
-Finally at least somewhat useful, but still have pitiful damage output and virtually no range

Shadow Staff (10 Demonite, 5 Shadow Scales)
-Summons an Eater of Souls
-Flies at enemies to attack
-Not much damage but can hit flying targets

Crimstaff (Same thing but with Crimson)
-Summons a Face Monster
-Runs at enemies to attack
-Fairly sluggish, but high damage (compared to other early summons)

Kazoo (10 Platinum from Traveling Merchant, extremely rare)
-Makes annoying noise
-Pitch scales similar to harp
-Gets louder the longer you use it
-Will make other people want to kill you
-Other players can hit you even if PVP is off
-Even the NPCs will attack you
-Seriously knock it off
-Has nothing to do with summoning

Battle Flag (15 Silk, 5 Tattered Cloth)
-Accessory
-Increases max minions by 1
-Earlygame summon accessory

Unsuspicious Looking Eye (Rare drop from EoC)
-Summons a pet Eye
-Looks cute
-Does nothing else
-Also has nothing to do with summoning

Minion Modifiers (1 Good Luck)
-Affect the following stats:
~Minion movement speed
~Minion attack speed
~Minion damage
~Minion aggro range
~Max Minions (caps at +1, though)

Sorry about the long post. I hope these things can balance out the Summoner class, since it's kinda flimsy, especially early-on where slime ranching is all but nessecary to find that Slime Staff.

I really like almost all of this. Summoner is my favorite class so having it be expanded upon more would be fantastic. I don't think the caps are necessary though, I like having summoner its own sets during that stage of the game. I also need the Kazoo.

Last edited:
Early in the game, specific class damage bonuses make almost no difference at all. If I'm overwhelmed by enemies, I'm going to throw a boomerang or swing a broadsword, and I'm not swapping to my shortsword just because it gets a +10% magic damage bonus from my armor. Until a point in the game somewhere between Eater/Brain and Wall of Flesh, the game might as well be completely classless, with your hotbar filled with an assortment of weapons from all different classes. And that I don't mind. Until the classes start actually differentiating themselves from each other, you should just use what works.

So, I don't think making the game easier for people who confuse a "summoner" for "someone who uses summoning weapons only" would be a good reason to support your suggestions. Instead, I think they should be judged on their own merit, and actually, I do think got some solid suggestions in there. I especially agree that having a summon weapon available after Eater/Brain would make sense. We can probably think of a summon weapon more creative than a Bunny Staff, though. Maybe an Antlion sentry crafted with mandibles.

Regrettably, Cenx told me that making summoner prefixes was too much of a challenge, though that was quite a long time ago, and I don't know if they've made a breakthrough since then. Aggro range and capacity are definitely the most logical stats for modifiers to change, though.

TheWorfer27, it would be Bars (and could substitute Platinum.)
Baconfry, the Bunny Staff is based on Monty Python (Madgems's video). I can see what you mean by the whole "mixed classes early", but it's still kinda unfair that Summon is the only class without any early-game items while other classes all have at least four and often many more.

TheWorfer27, it would be Bars (and could substitute Platinum.)
Baconfry, the Bunny Staff is based on Monty Python (Madgems's video). I can see what you mean by the whole "mixed classes early", but it's still kinda unfair that Summon is the only class without any early-game items while other classes all have at least four and often many more.
Many suspect the corrupt bunny is a reference to the same

Perhaps the rabbit could even go out of its way to attack Tim? Who knows what could happen when your lagomorphic friend has a vicious streak a mile wide?

Back
Top Bottom