Game Mechanics Summoner Exclusive Modifiers

Mage-of-Rage

Duke Fishron
Summoner_Emblem.png
Introduction
Summoner_Emblem.png

When it comes to Reforging and Modifiers Summoner weapons are probably the weirdest. They do not have an exclusive group of Modifiers of their own, instead taking the Modifiers of Magic Weapons (For Minions/Sentries) and Melee Weapons (For Whips). This is odd because there are a lot of bonuses Summoners simply do not benefit as much from like Mana Cost for Summon Weapons and all Modifiers that increase Crit Chance are useless as all Summoner Weapons are incapable of criting normally.

In other words Summoners not only borrows class-exclusive modifiers from two different classes they are also incapable of properly using said modifiers themselves! Now doesn't that strike you as odd?
As such I've decided to list theoretical exclusive Modifiers for Summoners mainly taking into account the new 'Summon Tag Damage' introduced in 1.4 to not only buff Summoners but in hopes of giving the class its much needed identity. Proposed are new Summoner Exclusive Modifiers for both weapons and accessories that the player can try and fail to reforge for!

However for these modifiers to really "work" certain things must be changed in the behavior of Summoner Weapons...

Changes
* Sentries can now proc Summon Tag Damage and additional whip effects similar to normal summons.
* Whips that are incapable of Summon Tag Critical Strikes gain the effect when modified.
* Speed boosting modifiers now slightly decrease the time between both normal minions and sentries can attack after being summoned.

Tinkerer%27s_Workshop.png
Weapon Modifiers
Tinkerer%27s_Workshop.png

Before we begin I'd like to just quickly explain what the two new effects 1.4 has given to Summoners as the entire Weapon Modifier table revolves around Summoners' shiny new toys which are...

Summon Tag Damage
Increases the damage dealt when a minion/sentry hits a target recently marked by a whip by a flat amount. Damage is added to the attack role before anything else and also effects unique Summon Tag effects. (Firecracker explosions, Cool Whip snowflake...).
Summon Tag Critical Strike
Increases the chance of a Critical Strike to occur when Summon Tag Damage happens. Whips that normally can't Summon Tag Critical Strike (Leather Whip, Snapthorn...) will gain the chance to Critically Hit during Summon Tag equal to the bonus.

Modifier
Damage
Speed
Summon Tag Damage
Summon Tag Critical Strike
Knockback
Tier
Ascended
+15%
+10%
+5
+5%
+15%
+2
Commanding
+10%
-​
+5
+5%
+15%
+2
Controlling
-​
+10%
+3
+10%
+5%
+2
Dominating
+5%
+5%
+3
-​
+20%
+2
Obedient
-​
-​
+7
-​
-​
+1
Feral
+5%
+10%
-​
+5%
-10%
+1
Rabid
-​
+5%
+3
+5%
-​
+1
Tame
+10%
-10%
+2
+5%
-​
+1
Brilliant
+5%
-​
-​
+10%
-​
+1
Independent
+5%
+5%
-​
-​
+5%
+1
Affectionate
+5%
-​
+2
-​
-​
-​
Carefree
-​
-​
+3
-​
-​
Trusting
-​
-​
+2
+5%
-​
-​
Rebellious
-10%
-​
+3
+5%
-10%
Amateurish
-​
-10%
-​
-​
-​
Botched
-5%
-​
-​
-5%
Bumbling
-20%
-​
-​
-​
Detestable
-10%
-5%
-​
-10%
(Note: On top of the proposed Modifiers all Modifiers in the Common and Universal category that do not effect Crit are also included in the Summoner Reforge pool)

I've decided to go with 18 Summoner Exclusive Weapon Modifiers, the most out of the four main classes mainly because as mentioned before Summoner cannot use Crit Chance at all. That means Summoners actually are incapable of using 8 of the Modifiers in the Common and Universal category compared to Melee, Ranged and Magic! (this excludes, flails, spears, boomerangs and tools as well as weapons that deal no Knockback) so the higher quantity is merely to balance out the reforge table.

Hercules_Beetle.png
Accessory Modifier
Hercules_Beetle.png

On top of the listed Weapon Modifiers you can get from Reforging I've also decided to come up with a simple Accessory Modifier for Summoners to exclusively take advantage of!
Modifier
Effect
Stat Change
Tier
Benevolent
Increases Minion Slots
+0.5
+2

Benevolent functions similarly to Arcane in that it is the only one in its family of modifiers with no other modifiers providing more or less than the listed stat change. Benevolent is also unique in the fact that it is the only Accessory Modifier to do absolutely nothing on its own (no you can't summon half a minion no matter how hard you try) requiring at least two other accessories with the same modifier to gain one whole Minion Slot.

This odd quirk makes Benevolent a viable choice to go for around Pre/Early Hardmode as the DPS boost and crowd control of a single minion is really strong early on especially when the player only has around 2 - 4 Minions. This also prevents the player from breaking the game with too many minions early on as Benevolent can only ever give 2 (3 on Expert or Master Mode) minions at max.

However, as the player progresses further into the game and gain more Minion Slots from other sources such as from armor and innate effects from accessories Benevolent starts to give less DPS compared to percentage damage increase. This makes it much more down to preference what the player wants to go with as they get closer to endgame, the crowd control and utility of two to three more minions at the cost of needing two Accessory Modifiers? or slightly overall higher DPS boost of Menacing? and/or higher survivability with Warding?

Last edited:
As a person that mainly uses summoning items, I absolutely love this idea. It's sad to see that summoning items have useless stat boosts because they have to feed off of other class reforges, so a new set of reforges would be amazing!

It's hard to tell what would be considered major by the devs since this was the last major update...

I'd really love to see this but it feels like changing a whole class structure would be major...

If they were going to do it they would've done it on release of the summoner class or at least further down the line when it became more viable

Those tag damage bonuses are VERY strong, like tag bonuses are the main reason you use whips, and these modifiers could easily double or triple that.
If a player were to say have 3 ' Obedient' whips they constantly swapped between that would add an extra 60 damage to every minion attack... in pre hardmode!
The modifiers should add 5 tag damage at max.

Those tag damage bonuses are VERY strong, like tag bonuses are the main reason you use whips, and these modifiers could easily double or triple that.
If a player were to say have 3 ' Obedient' whips they constantly swapped between that would add an extra 60 damage to every minion attack... in pre hardmode!
The modifiers should add 5 tag damage at max.
Interesting, yeah looking back the Summon Tag Damage I listed hear is definitely too high for Modifiers but I didn't have a proper understanding of how Tag Damage worked at the time hence the big numbers. I'm planning to tweak the list a bit, add some more text and list a proposed accessory modifier so I might add that on the list of stuff I wanna update.

Edit: Added and changed some of the text. Tweaked some of the numbers and added an Accessory Modfier to the proposed ideas as well as making the entire post a bit more pretty (hopefully).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom