Weapons & Equip Summoner final touch up

Renthex

Terrarian
So in Terraria as long as I’ve played (since the mechanical bosses were also the final bosses) the summoner class was always more of a joke than anything else. Always falling short in damage and survivability. It was something you would equip so you could build in peace. But that change very drastically with this 1.4.1 update. For the first time ever I decided to try out a summoner only run. At first I was expecting it to still fall short but when I got my hands on that new obsidian armor it was immediately clear that this was the new strongest class. I’m currently in hard mode still using the obsidian armor for the sole reason that the set bonus is what makes the class good. +50% whip speed and length. It outclasses armors that are hard mode simply because of this but you are still left with less than 20 defense without modifiers. Summoner still seems to fall off late game which is why I’m suggesting one last thing to finish and solidify it as a valid class. Add that same whip speed and length set bonus to all summon armors or even add a helmet variant for each summon armor that chooses between whip buffs or summon buffs. This would be all it takes now to make summoner an actually valid and fun to play class.

A helmet for whip or summon buff? Interesting!

Also Obsidian armor set bonus is just busted, but, not in a gameplay sense. I like it, but it hella sticks out like a sore thumb, so the two options would be to streamline it or revamp early game armor sets entirely. I wouldn't mind doing the later but it's a lot of work and IDK how to make mods so theorizing stuff feels kinda pointless for now.

I still woudn't recomend summoner because of the horrible defense and whips aren't recomended (unless they get a lot of buff) compared to having 10- 12 terraprisma or blade staff (12 blade staff is op because they ignore 25 def per blade)

It could be useful to pinpoint exactly at what moment you think summoner falls off compared to other classes (or what items exactly), so we can compare them to items of other classes obtained during about the same time and figure out if there is indeed a large discrepancy in strength.

It could be useful to pinpoint exactly at what moment you think summoner falls off compared to other classes (or what items exactly), so we can compare them to items of other classes obtained during about the same time and figure out if there is indeed a large discrepancy in strength.

I feel like Summoner progression at the moment is ok. Nothing incredible but nothing too bad, the main issue I have with it now is how pigeonholed the player is in terms of options. The class could stand to gain some more Minions and Whips throughout the tiers as well as more accessories that isn't just "More Damage, +1 Minion Slot" as well as actual Summoner Reforge modifiers that isn't just Magic (For Minons and Sentries) and Melee (For Whips).

Give us more armor choices like how Shroomite has three different helmets corresponding to Ranged Weapon types. Give us more accesorries that effect things other than Minion Slots. More Sentries and Sentry related content that isn't gated behind OoA. There may not be a glaring discrepancy of power anymore but there is a clear discrepancy of content and identity within the class.

Melee attack speed works for whips? I didn't know that, but, kind of makes sense. Those are valid critics, too. The helmet for the option to be minion or whip centered was a very good idea in my opinion and would give the player some choice. Nothing I can do about it but just for fun we could also have a helm for summoner/magic hybrid. That'd open summoner to more weapons.

I feel like Summoner progression at the moment is ok. Nothing incredible but nothing too bad, the main issue I have with it now is how pigeonholed the player is in terms of options. The class could stand to gain some more Minions and Whips throughout the tiers as well as more accessories that isn't just "More Damage, +1 Minion Slot" as well as actual Summoner Reforge modifiers that isn't just Magic (For Minons and Sentries) and Melee (For Whips).

Give us more armor choices like how Shroomite has three different helmets corresponding to Ranged Weapon types. Give us more accesorries that effect things other than Minion Slots. More Sentries and Sentry related content that isn't gated behind OoA. There may not be a glaring discrepancy of power anymore but there is a clear discrepancy of content and identity within the class.

Actually we do have quite a couple of sentry boosting armors- Thanks to the old ones army event we have 12 sentry armor sets from 1.3.4 I do agree we could use more sentry armors (not just only valhalla knights) and probably some new sentrys themselves.

At this state of game, any new item is pretty unlikely. Especially that helmet option idea that I think it will eventually bring up even more demand; like helmet option for sentry so we can have sentry stuffs outside of old ones event. Actually, most of armors with helmet option are the hardmode-ore armors that just have multiple helmets for each class (except summoner helmet (except Hallowed with 4 helmets)).

If I'm not missing anything, there are only Beetle, Shroomite, and Spectre which are class-specific armors with multiple helmets/chests. So, if helmet option is going to be added in Summoner armors, I guess it will only be in Spooky which is the same tier as those above.

I think the most possible option is to change some hardmode armors bonus. Maybe change one of Tiki or Spooky to support whip instead. And probably spread Hallowed bonus into +1 minion, +1 sentry, +small whip bonus.

If I'm not missing anything, there are only Beetle, Shroomite, and Spectre which are class-specific armors with multiple helmets/chests. So, if helmet option is going to be added in Summoner armors, I guess it will only be in Spooky which is the same tier as those above.
Yeah should've clarified I wanted an alternate Spooky Helmet for Whips (and maybe even Sentry?). Would also be cool to turn Tiki into a Whip based armor.

Back
Top Bottom