PC Summoner Guide

Oilura

Terrarian
kdcROYP.png

divider.png

Introduction
divider.png

One of the hardest playthroughs would be playing as a pure summoner, due to minion behavior and stuff. This guide focuses on how you can get through with nothing but minions, assuming you have a Slime Staff already.

Table of Contents

kdcROYP.png

divider.png

Tips and Tricks
divider.png

Playing as a summoner is a lot like building traps to overcome every obstacle. The box around your character is your best friend. Unlike Melee, Ranged and Magic users, all your weapons can pierce through walls in a way. Simply summon the minion outside the wall.
divider.png
Terrain preparation is more important than anything else. Summons have a leash range, and if you go beyond the leash range, they will just follow you and be useless until they reach you. However, as I said, you have more options in the way of arenas than the other classes.

Gravity potions are nearly useless in boss fights when playing as a Summoner, for the same reason as why terrain preparation is more important than anything when preparing for a bossfight.
divider.png
The Summoner is the only class that can exploit invulnerability timers to their fullest as of this update. All you have to do is build a box, put a hostile bee in the box and put as many passive regeneration things near you (honey, heart lantern, campfire). Enjoy beating the Twins without using a single health potion.
divider.png
Minions are stupid. However, you can resummon them nearer to whoever you want them to attack. Unfortunately, they are stupid so they might just fly back to you.
divider.png
Resummoned minions will attack instantly. Use that fact to increase the Imp's attack speed to something above ridiculously slow.

kdcROYP.png

divider.png

Once you get a Slime Staff
divider.png

You need these items:
  • Slime Staff
  • Worm Food
  • Grappling Hook (if you are not good at the game)
  • A few extra stars

The Eater of Worlds is the easiest boss, since you can stand on a platform far above a ground and it will rarely reach you. Put more platforms/boxes below your platforms and watch your slimes pwn the boss.

Make sure you summon him with Worm Food.

Kill him a few times to get Shadow Armor and a Nightmare Pickaxe.

If you are having trouble with the flying Eater of Souls, just trap them in boxes. You can lure all of them into the box by replacing the floor of the box with platforms. They will be able to fly in but not out.

divider.png

Once you get a Nightmare Pickaxe
divider.png

You need these items:
  • Slime Staff
  • Shadow Armor
  • Nightmare Pickaxe
  • Grappling Hook
  • A few extra hearts/stars
Now that you have some armor and a Nightmare Pickaxe, our next destination is hell. Build a Hellevator down to Hell and build a tunnel to one of the buildings. Avoid Hellstone buildings. Mine as much Hellstone as you can.

The Demons, bats and lava slimes should not be a problem since you built an enclosed tunnel to your mining area and most of them should be outside the tunnel. The only problems should be Imps and Bone Serpents. To get rid of them, just summon an Imp on them. Make sure to dodge the Bone Serpents!

Once you get enough Hellstone for an Imp Staff (about 111), take a Hellforge with you (if your building does not have a hellforge, build a tunnel to another building) and go back up to mine some Obsidian. You need 37 obsidian. Once you get your obsidian, put your hellforge down, craft 37 Hellstone bars and create your Imp Staff and Molten Pickaxe.
divider.png

Once you get an Imp Staff
divider.png

You need these items:
  • Imp Staff
  • Shadow Armor
  • Grappling Hook
  • A few extra hearts/stars

Go straight to the Underground Jungle and search for a Beehive. Build an arena for the Queen Bee (three long platforms about a jump apart) and summon the Queen Bee. Kill the Queen Bee with your imp. Make sure to put a Campfire and/or Heart Lantern in your arena and resummon the Imp at every opportunity.

Defeat the Queen Bee about 3 times to get a full set of Bee armor. Once you have a full set, go ahead and summon 2 more imps.
divider.png

Once you get Bee Armor
divider.png

You need these items:
  • Imp Staff
  • Bee Armor
  • Grappling Hook/Ivy Whip
  • Full Hearts
  • Full Stars
  • Quite a lot of Lesser Mana Potions

Now that you have your Imp Staff and Bee Armor, you can do whatever you want (kill Skeletron, get the Ivy Whip, etc). When you want to defeat the Wall of Flesh, build an arena/find some water walking potions and get a Guide Voodoo Doll.

Before you summon the Wall of Flesh, you may need Rocket Boots and whatever you need to kill the Wall of Flesh in your other playthroughs.

The ideal arena for the Wall of Flesh is a straight path from the center of the map to the edge of the map. However, if you have Rocket Boots/Water Walking Potions/are good at this game, go ahead and summon the Wall of Flesh. Keep your distance from the Wall, try to dodge everything and remember to keep resummoning that Imp! You should be able to defeat the Wall of Flesh easily if you keep repositioning and resummoning the Imp. A good place to summon your Imp is directly below the bottommost Eye of the Wall of Flesh.

Remember to make sure your minions are within the leash range so they don't become useless!
divider.png

Hardmode
divider.png

You need these items:
  • Imp Staff
  • Bee Armor
  • Ivy Whip
  • Full Hearts
  • Full Stars
  • Quite a lot of Lesser Mana Potions
  • Pwnhammer
Welcome to Hardmode! Just go straight to the nearest Spider Nest and kill every single Spider in the Nest! Repeat until you have 76 Spider Fangs.

Remember to box yourself up so they can't get to you!

Once you get enough Spider Fangs, craft a full suit of Spider Armor, a Queen spider Staff and a Spider Staff. If you are impatient, craft the Spider Staff first, followed by the Spider Armor and finally the Queen Spider Staff.

If you don't have one already, kill the Queen Bee to get a Hive Wand and some more Hives. Hives are your best friend.

Oh, and get the Wizard. You will need all those Greater Mana Potions.
divider.png

Once you get a Spider Staff, Queen Spider Staff and Spider Armor
divider.png

You need these items:
  • Spider Staff
  • Queen Spider Staff
  • Spider Armor
  • Ivy Whip
  • Quite a lot of Greater Mana Potions
  • Cross Necklace
  • Charm of myths/Band of Regeneration
Get a lot of bombs and bomb a large cave for your arena. Decorate your arena if you want, but the only thing you need in your arena are background walls and a box for you to stand in. Remember the Bee Trick in the Tips and Tricks section? You will need it here. Introduce Honey and a Bee into your box and put a Campfire and a Heart Lantern nearby. Summon your Spiders and Queen Spider OUTSIDE the box. Once you can summon the Twins, summon them and enjoy watching your minions beat them into a pulp while they cannot hurt you. If you have a Summoning Potion, go ahead and use it to get an extra Spider. The Twins should only be able to hurt you once, or twice in the ten minute battle, and if you have Greater Healing Potions, you should be fine.

Once you defeat the Twins, craft the Optic Staff and complain to Redigit about how the Twins are too easy.

You can kill Duke Fishron instead of the Twins, but it takes much longer and he hits for much harder when he manages to hit you. It is not recommended to kill him first since he does not have a 100% chance to drop a minion staff/material for a minion staff. Once you get the Optic Staff, go ahead and kill Fishron if you want.
divider.png

Once you craft an Optic Staff or got a Tempest Staff from duke Fishron
divider.png

You need these items:
  • Optic/Tempest Staff
  • Spider Armor
  • Ivy Whip
  • Wings
  • Cross Necklace
If you haven't already, kill the Wyvern and craft some wings. Go ahead and kill Skeletron Prime and the Destroyer with your Mini Twins/Sharknado and either the Bee Trick (less effective against the Destroyer) or by flying around them (less effective against Skeletron Prime).

Once the jungle grow restless, head into the jungle and build an arena for Plantera. You will want a big cave, a floor of platforms and a bunch of dirt in an L shape in your arena. Once you finished your arena, summon Plantera and fly around the L-shape bunch of dirt. Wait for your minions to kill Plantera and get her loot.

Keep killing Plantera until you get a Pygmy Staff. Once you get a Pygmy Staff, move the Witch Doctor to a house in the Jungle and buy two Hercules Beetles, a Pygmy Necklace and a full set of Tiki Armor from him.
divider.png

Once you buy Tiki Armor, 2 Hercules Beetles and a Pygmy Necklace
divider.png
You need these items:
  • Optic/Tempest Staff
  • Tiki Armor
  • Ivy Whip
  • Wings
  • Cross Necklace
  • Hercules Beetle
  • Pygmy Necklace
Create a Pumpkin farm and farm as many Pumpkins as you can.

Go into the dungeon and kill a bunch of mobs inside it for free Ectoplasm. Remember to use walls and minion relocation to avoid as many attacks as possible! Farm Ectoplasm until you are bored with farming Ectoplasm.

Use the farmed Pumpkins and Ectoplasm to create a lot of Pumpkin Moon Medallions. Once you got your Medallions, build an arena consisting of a lot of open air, a box and a platform out of sight. It should be impossible to enter the box other than a door you placed at the side of the box.

If you want to, you can trap the box to kill stuff faster.

If you haven't already, get the Twins staff. The Tempest Staff is less than optimal for this arena, as Sharknadoes can phase through walls.

As always, introduce a bee and a lot of regeneration (Campfire, Heart Lantern, Honey) into the box. Wait for nightfall and summon the Pumpkin Moon.

Enjoy pwning everything with your army or Retinaminis and Spazmatiminis. At the end of the night, you should have acquired some Necromantic Scrolls, Spooky Wood and the Raven Staff. Use the Spooky Wood to craft Spooky Armor and craft 1 Papyrus Scarab with your extra Hercules Beetle and Necromantic Scroll.

If you did not get enough items, just grind the Pumpkin Moon again. If you have the Raven Staff, use it.

kdcROYP.png

divider.png

Furion 6-slot
divider.png

Congratulations! You, the Master Rat, have acquired every single Summoner item in the game! This is what your six-slotted inventory should be:

Weapon
  • Raven Staff
Accessories
  • Fishron Wings
  • Papyrus Scarab
  • Necromantic Scroll
  • Hercules Beetle
  • Pygmy Necklace
Enjoy being able to take down towers bosses as fast, or even faster than Terrorblade!

Oh, and in case some Rat Dota Terraria-hating Earthshaker or Ember Spirit comes along and tries to kill you, you should wear your Spooky Armor too!

Here are a few quotes from bosses who really hate you:
Skeletron Prime said:
F****** FURION SO OP TOOK ALL MY RAXES EVERY SINGLE TIME AND I CANT EVEN HIT HIM BECAUSE OF THAT BU**S*** INVULNERABILITY TIMER ICEFRAUD NERF PLS

BEE OP WTF COMPLETE INVULNERABILITY
Duke Fishron said:
WTF IS THIS **** ICEFRAUG I CANT HIT HIM WTF WTF WTF WHEN I PUSH HIS MINIONS TAKE 6RAX AND MY ANCIENT AND I CAN'T EVEN HIT HIM
Pumpking said:
OMG F*** FURION HE TOOK MY ANCIENTS WHEN ALL 3 LANES ARE PUSHED AND HE HAS NO RAX AND WE SOMEHOW LOST THE GAME

YES HE WAS IN THE FOUNTAIN WHEN HE TOOK MY ANCIENT WTF ICEFRAUDG
Nature%27s_Prophet_icon.png

Unfortunately,
Elf Copter said:
Honestly, I don't see the big deal about Furion, his minions and the bee box. All I have to do is whack him with my propeller.

Last edited:
Nicely done, but I am in need aid with Killing Duke Fishron. Even with my normal character , I cannot vanquish him. Any other specific tips with my Summoner?

Nicely done, but I am in need aid with Killing Duke Fishron. Even with my normal character , I cannot vanquish him. Any other specific tips with my Summoner?
---Tips and Tricks---​
Playing as a summoner is a lot like building traps to overcome every obstacle. The box around your character is your best friend. Unlike Melee, Ranged and Magic users, all your weapons can pierce through walls in a way. Simply summon the minion outside the wall.

Get a lot of bombs and bomb a large cave for your arena. Decorate your arena if you want, but the only thing you need in your arena are background walls and a box for you to stand in. Remember the Bee Trick in the Tips and Tricks section? You will need it here. Introduce Honey and a Bee into your box and put a Campfire and a Heart Lantern nearby. Summon your Spiders and Queen Spider OUTSIDE the box. Once you can summon the Twins, summon them and enjoy watching your minions beat them into a pulp while they cannot hurt you. If you have a Summoning Potion, go ahead and use it to get an extra Spider. The Twins should only be able to hurt you once, or twice in the ten minute battle, and if you have Greater Healing Potions, you should be fine.

There you go. Apply the Twins trick to Duke Fishron. Duke Fishron should have a very low chance of actually hurting you.

I would really like to see this get updated. It's a nice guide, gave me some really good insight at stuff.

Back
Top Bottom