Items Summoner Whips that should've made it (plus extra ideas)

After seeing that the devs are gonna do another final update (even though this one seems to be just for a crossover), I wanted to put in my ideas for a few whips that I feel like were missed opportunities. As it stands, the Kaleidoscope is the #1 whip, though the Dark Harvest and Firecracker can rival it. That means after EoL, you don't unlock any new whips for the rest of the game, which doesn't feel right to me. Whips have become a game-changer for summoners, and should at least have a stardust fragment version in the endgame. Oh, I also made some make-shift sprites. Here's my take:

The Constellation
Constellation.png

Crafted with: 9 Stardust Fragments
[The other 2 summon weapons cost 18 Fragments]

The Constellation is a whip that is similar to the Kaleidoscope, in that it can allow minions to do critical hits and produces sparkles when swung. When an enemy is struck, a projectile similar to the one created when an enemy is hit by the Super Star Cannon appears next to them and attacks them. Minions that strike targeted enemies will also create this projectile for a short time after an enemy has been struck (for as long as the extra damage is applied to minions.) These star projectiles deal about 50% of what the Constellation's damage is, even if a minion created it.

Super_Star_Shooter_demo.gif

Example of what I mean, the white slashes are similar to what the Constellation creates when an enemy is struck.

The Lunar Lick
The_Lick.png

Dropped by: Moon Lord 10% chance
[All other weapon drop chances are also reduced to 10%]

The Lunar Lick is a whip that resembles the Moon Lord's tongue. It is a side-grade to the Constellation instead of an upgrade. You could settle for The Constellation, or if you're lucky, get this as a drop from the Moon Lord. It has shorter range, but it siphons health from enemies when struck. It's only a little bit, but that's because enemies hit by The Lunar Lick also heal you when your own minions deal damage to them. As long as you're constantly striking enemies, and your minions keep attacking those enemies, you shouldn't have to worry about regenerating health. The only problem is that the damage isn't as powerful as the Constellation, but that can be overlooked if you don't mind.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I also have a few other cool ideas for summon related weapons, though I haven't thought super hard about them, nor does the game really need them. It would be nice to have some of these as side-grades to existing summons or whips, though.

The Laser Lasso
Laser_Lasso.png

Dropped by: Scutlix Gunner
[How else do they wrangle those bad boys?]

A whip that acts as an in-between stage for the Kaleidoscope and the Constellation. It doesn't have great damage, but it creates an electric trail that lasts for 1 second at it's tip every swing, allowing you to group enemies and deal with large crowds.

The Staff of Hunger
Hunger.png

Dropped by; Wall of Flesh 11.11% chance
[All other weapon drop chances are also reduced to 11.11%]

This summon is very unique. When first summoned, a minion very similar to The Hungry will spawn on your player, connected to it by a vein. In fact, all the Hungries that you spawn will be stuck to you as they do to the WoF, and if you take enough damage from an enemy, there is a small chance one will detach and chase after the nearest enemy. If there are no nearby enemies, the summon "dies" and reappears on your body. Imagine running around with 10 bloody mouths protruding out of you, lashing out at any enemy that steps close enough, tearing them to shreds.

The Picnic Staff
Picnic Staff.png

Sold from: Zoologist, Post-Eclipse, for 30 gold
[Honestly just seems fitting]

Summons a wolf to fight for you, but when fighting during the night, the wolves become stronger. There are multiple types of wolf, grey wolves, dark wolves, and a wolf in a granny costume.

Idle Hands
Idle_Hand.png

Dropped by: Skeletron 10.5% chance
[Get it, idle hands?]

This summon is similar to the Staff of Hunger, in that it summons minion around you. One minion is 2 hands that float around you, summoning more than that will buff the power and speed of the hands, similar to the Desert Tiger Staff. The Hands can slap enemies away with considerable knockback, but also bat destroyable projectiles like the water bolt and imp fireballs. Probably works better in a tight, enclosed space, such as the dungeon.

Shinobi Scroll
Shinobi_Scroll.png
Ninja.png

Dropped by: King Slime 33.33% chance
[Slime Gun chance reduced to 33.33%]

Summon ninjas to fight for you. These guys don't have anything special, they are just a fitting summon to get from King Slime, if you choose to fight him. The ninjas can appear as typical ninjas, samurai, or wearing an oni mask. They mostly just dash into enemies, but can occasionally throw a single shuriken. When you fly too far away from them, they will transform into a black cloud of smoke to catch up.

Depending on the Constellation's base damage, this would be really overpowered with the Blade Staff.
By the time you would get the Constellation you would be near the endgame. The blade staff's damage would not be high enough to be efficient and the damage from the Constellation would only be half.

However, 50% of the whip's damage almost every time the minion attacks is certainly a bit much, perhaps 25% would be reasonable.

By the time you would get the Constellation you would be near the endgame. The blade staff's damage would not be high enough to be efficient and the damage from the Constellation would only be half.

However, 50% of the whip's damage almost every time the minion attacks is certainly a bit much, perhaps 25% would be reasonable.
Kaleidoscope makes Blade Staff viable for Moon Lord though.

Depending on the Constellation's base damage, this would be really overpowered with the Blade Staff.
It might be good with the Blade Staff, but I doubt that it would be any better to use Blades over Stardust Cells or even Stardust Dragon with Constellation.

Also CapuccinoMachine don't try to make Lunar Lick too much of a sidegrade to Constellation, it would come later after the other pillars and the final boss. S.D.M.G. isn't a sidegrade to Vortex Beater.

The Picnic Staff
Picnic Staff.png

Sold from: Zoologist, Post-Eclipse, for 30 gold
[Honestly just seems fitting]

Summons a wolf to fight for you, but when fighting during the night, the wolves become stronger. There are multiple types of wolf, grey wolves, dark wolves, and a wolf in a granny costume.
Honestly love the idea of having wolf minions and the fact they are stronger at night. It took me a while to realize why it was called the picnic staff haha

Back
Top Bottom