Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 8/8.1
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I play multiplayer with only me and the host. We use Steam multiplayer. I have a feeling that this might be the reason for this bug (some kind of desync or smthing with multiplayer) but I might be totally off.

I play summoner and my summons and mount (which I am on all the time to save space for summoning equipment instead of wings&boots) randomly sometimes despawn. I have had countless moments after using pylons or turning on buffs when I realize there are no summons out for me. Sometimes during events of boss fights (not only frost queens freezing attack) my mount (the Which's Broom) would just unmount and I have to mount it again. I didn't hit the R button accidentally since my fingers aren't that close to it. Summons either seem to disappear when buffing myself or during boss fights (might be only buffing tho since I do that at the start but a few times I've been sure that they were there just before the boss came). I rarely let the bewitching buff run out and even when it does I haven't observed my summons all disappearing after that (saw a thread about that from a month ago).

The most perfect example of this bug happened today. We were getting ready for moon lord and I started activating buffs. I don't remember if I used B (for the potions) before or after the items but I activated the items in this order: Ammo box, slice of cake, bewitching table, crystal ball. Note that I had some summons out while doing that (probably ~7 parts of the stardust dragon) and I was using the broom. When I activated the crystal ball the entire stardust dragon disappeared (I think I saw some small blue sparkles too). Then I used the staff to summon it back and when I summoned the first dragon part I got thrown off the broom. There were no enemies near me the entire time. After that I remounted and summoned the rest of the dragon and life went on as usual.

The summons disappearing happened also with terraprisma later. Once when we were doing all 3 mech bosses together. Before summoning I was all ready to fight, buffed ect. When the fight ended shortly after I saw that I had no terraprisma swords out. During the fight I just thought they were beating up something somewhere. But after the fight seeing they weren't even out I suspect they disappeared when the (or one of the 3) bosses were summoned. I had a few other times when I had to resummon them right after a boss spawned.

So basically summons despawn or I get knocked off my mount during buffing myself or when bosses are out/spawned and maybe when travelling using pylons.

The host didn't have these problems and the only time he was knocked off the mount was when Ice Queen froze him. His 2 summons never disappeared without him dying. Host has Windows 10, other specs are the same.

You mention using buffs a lot in this, and that leads me to believe that the reason this is happening is because you are reaching the maximum limit of 22 buffs. If you reach this maximum, older buffs are replaced with newer buffs, and if those older buffs are your minions or your mount, it will cause them to despawn.

This indeed sounds like it explains it. Adding buffs and getting debuffs from bosses despawning my summons and mount.

Expert mode forced me to get more buffs to survive. Since that wasn't a problem in normal mode I haven't really run into that before.

Why is the limit so small tho? It seems weird to have to minimize buffs while also maximizing them to stay alive. With debuffs also counting into that small limit it seems annoying to have to also account for how many different debuffs all the possible enemies might inflict on you in the next 10 or so minutes. Summoners especially are reliant on different buffs since the "weapon" (the summon) itself is a buff and it's really annoying to having it disappear on you because you got a small debuff.

Could this (the end of the journey) maybe be the time to increase this limit one last time?

Back
Top Bottom