Super Mario bros. 3

With the three Warp Whistles, you can go from World 2 to World 8 without playing any worlds in-between!

Correction: You can get the two Warp Whistles in World 1, use one, then use another while you're at the warp zone, then you're at World 8. So you can basically get to the last world of the game from the first.

And this is a good game, don't get me wrong, but I have always preferred Super Mario World over this game. And the first version of this game I've ever played is the All-Stars version (A.K.A. the version that was used in SMBX) on the original SNES.

And this is a good game, don't get me wrong, but I have always preferred Super Mario World over this game. And the first version of this game I've ever played is the All-Stars version (A.K.A. the version that was used in SMBX) on the original SNES.
Same for me - SNES version first. I also got it from the 25th Anniversary or something where Nintendo re-released it on the Wii. But something in the re-release felt wrong. The controls just didn't feel right. I can blitz through the SNES version without problems, but there were a lot of cheap deaths on the Wii.

Good point on the Warp Whistle! :)

The way SMW has branching paths, alternate exits and secret areas is something that I don't think has been redone. Some games are completely linear and some have only a minority of alternate exits. I think it's why I like SMW the most. SMB3 has a few branch points, but it's mostly Level X or Level Y to get to the same final point.

I have many good memories of SMB3 or to be specific SMBA3 for the gba, it was the second Mario platformer I finished at the time, the second was the original Mario Brothers. I remember fondly in World 2 I was screwing around with the hammer and then suddenly I opened that secret path to the warp whistle...you could probably guess my reaction.

Though I do think SMW had better individual level design, SMB3's world were pretty damn memorable World 4 had giant enemies and bricks and pipes making you feel tiny in comparison, World 5 was literally separated into two parts with the ground and sky portion, World 7 was a maze of pipes that both in the overworld and levels and then suddenly in World 8 were jumping on tanks.

My biggest complaint with the game was that Bowser was so disappointing compared to the Koopalings which is sad cause the final level is one of my favorites in Mario, non-linear and multiple routes that all eventually lead to Bowser. (P.S. how many of you guys atually got a Coin Ship? I only ever gotten one in my lifetime )

(P.S. how many of you guys atually got a Coin Ship? I only ever gotten one in my lifetime )
Only the one in World 5, and only once! I had no idea how I got it. This was before the Internet though. :)

I remember fondly in World 2 I was screwing around with the hammer and then suddenly I opened that secret path to the warp whistle...you could probably guess my reaction.
After you finish a level, you can hear the noise of the Hammer Bros moving to a new location. It was that noise that tipped me off that there was something in World 2 I hadn't found yet...

A power-up (more like item) not many people know about is this :
AnchorSMB3.png
, the anchor . It is well hidden , i had no idea this existed as a kid .

Last edited:
The Anchor is pretty useless though, all it does is stop airships from moving.

I rarely use world-map exclusive items (except for warp whistles and hammers), as the anchor is pretty useless, you don't get rewards from Hammer Bros. if you skip them, and Jugem's cloud isn't useful if you skip a level then die at the next, causing you to be sent back to the level you skipped.

I rarely use world-map exclusive items (except for warp whistles and hammers), as the anchor is pretty useless, you don't get rewards from Hammer Bros. if you skip them, and Jugem's cloud isn't useful if you skip a level then die at the next, causing you to be sent back to the level you skipped.
The Cloud has its uses, stocke pile on them then used them on the last couple of levels in World 8 till you get to Bowser, come to think of it I never did beat those last few levels, huh...

The Cloud has its uses, stocke pile on them then used them on the last couple of levels in World 8 till you get to Bowser, come to think of it I never did beat those last few levels, huh...
As a kid , i did not have very good skills in this game but i had a plan , to beat worlds 1 and 2 a couple of times to get p-wings and clouds , then go to world 8 , use them and kill bowser , it worked ! Then i realised i should do it like a man , a couple of years later , i decided to beat each stage individually , that worked too .

When you die, you go back to the last area you 'cleared'; represented by an M or L icon. That's the obvious part. But there's a trick you can use here: Entering a pipe moves the M/L icon to that point. So where possible, if you skip a level, enter a pipe after the level. If you die, you go back to the pipe instead of back past the skipped level! Works really well on worlds 7 and 8.

There's a big shortcut on course 8-2:
Fall down through the first quicksand pit. You'll be dropped in an underground room with a pipe. Enter the pipe to go to a bonus room. Enter the pipe in that room to go to the end of the level.
Course 8-2 is kind of pretty with the yellow sand/land and sparkling stars. It seems like it's going to be an OK level. Then you go down the hill and... what is that coming out from behind the mountain? It's the sun from world 2! Ah crap! At that point, you know the level is gonna suck. No wonder they included the shortcut - it's only fair!

World 8 was kind of disappointing in its shortness. Courses 8-1 and 8-2 could roughly align to Worlds 1 and 2 respectively. I was hoping that maybe each world would have a course for it. 8-3 could have the return of Big Bass, 8-4 a gauntlet of huge enemies, 8-5 something in the clouds, 8-6 some kind of ice challenge (fire Piranha Plants + frozen enemies?) and 8-7 either a maze area or a whole pile or a run through some little Piranha Plants. But alas, it wasn't to be...

There's a big shortcut on course 8-2:
Fall down through the first quicksand pit. You'll be dropped in an underground room with a pipe. Enter the pipe to go to a bonus room. Enter the pipe in that room to go to the end of the level.
Course 8-2 is kind of pretty with the yellow sand/land and sparkling stars. It seems like it's going to be an OK level. Then you go down the hill and... what is that coming out from behind the mountain? It's the sun from world 2! Ah crap! At that point, you know the level is gonna suck. No wonder they included the shortcut - it's only fair!

World 8 was kind of disappointing in its shortness. Courses 8-1 and 8-2 could roughly align to Worlds 1 and 2 respectively. I was hoping that maybe each world would have a course for it. 8-3 could have the return of Big Bass, 8-4 a gauntlet of huge enemies, 8-5 something in the clouds, 8-6 some kind of ice challenge (fire Piranha Plants + frozen enemies?) and 8-7 either a maze area or a whole pile or a run through some little Piranha Plants. But alas, it wasn't to be...
I know about the shortcut but never take it as I'm actually quite fond of that sun enemy, maybe because I never really went through the hell that was his level in world 2, at least not fully. Just pickup a Koopa Shell during the beginning part before he starts swooping down and when he starts moving, unleash the Koopa! The best part is the guy doesn't respawn so can stroll through the level at your own leisure.

Though I do agree that World 8 was on the short side, though the many game overs kinda fixed that.

Back
Top Bottom