Super Mario Maker = SMBX

Klokinator

Terrarian
I learned about this game some time ago and then today I thought of it and said "Oh wait, that's exactly what Redigit originally got C&D'd for. Took them long enough to finally make the game a thing!"

http://www.stuff.tv/news/super-mario-maker-absolutely-bonkers

This game/creation kit looks awesome. You're not limited to just one game archetype, like making games in the old SMB1 NES format, you have the ability to pick from nearly all of the best sidescrolling ones! And you can do all kinds of crazy stuff too.

I wonder how @Redigit feels?

Mario Maker looks easier and much more fun to use, but it's probably inferior to SMBX when it comes to content. SMBX gives much more freedom in level design, like changing level height, multi-room levels or mixing tilesets etc. Making SMBX with Mario Maker's editor would make almost perfect Mario game.

Is it closed source or was it hacked/did redigit allow it open source before he moved on to terraria?
It was always closed-source and after dropping it, Redigid said to not distribute it any longer (because Nintendo). There are however few poor attempts to recreate it.

Last edited:
I do not know much about the two, but I predict SMBX and Super Mario maker are two different things. They both have different tools and ways to use the two.

You know, it kinda seems like to me, whenever there's a game idea Nintendo thinks is good, they want it gone, wait a while (like a few years or months), and come up with the same idea themselves, treating it like it was their own idea

Personally, I still prefer Mario Builder (another Mario level making thingy, but it lets you make Mario GAMES), but yeah, Super Mario Maker looks nice. :D In fact, the reason I prefer Mario Builder might be because of nostalgia - I used to use that program a lot. :p

hi! i don't want to spam, but i think someone could be interested in play a terraria- based level, and this is the only place i can post it, its about the terraria bosses before hardcore
here it is: 822C-0000-0086-3FAEView attachment 80426

also, i found another one that isn't made by me, but here it is anyway:) : 5415-0000-0072-06FE

Are you kidding me? Nothing is based on Red's game. Nintendo made this game so they won't have to make anymore mario games for a while.

Is it closed source or was it hacked/did redigit allow it open source before he moved on to terraria?
A programmer managed to grab values from the SMBX memory, and with some help of lua scripting, pretty much all limits have been removed (you can make Fire Emblem on the World Map, Shmups, Pokemon, Zelda 1, VVVVVV, DDR). There's also a new level editor being developed which will make designing more user-friendly and in future add more stuff to the game. A taste of what's possible nowadays.

I thought this thread seemed to be more about SMBX and maker games in general then Super Mario Maker...

Well, I really like Nintendo's newest game. Unlike most other games, Super Mario Maker is one that everyone in my family can enjoy playing instead of just me and my brother. Hopefully I'll be able to make a decent level this weekend to share.

Last edited:
If Red got CD'd for this then he obviously used their content without permission. Nintendo, being a business, is well within it's power to take your idea and use it in their own game if you do this. But when I think realistically about this, Red was in the path of a train on this one. Super Mario Maker was inevitable and if the reasons aren't obvious (Yes I am actually defending nintendo on this one.) then maybe you never had to deal with a :red: ton of people demanding things from you. We want we want we want. Well since nintendo is smart they decided it was a good idea to make mario maker like "Here, have this game where you can make your own damn mario game. Go nuts." It was a :red:ing godsend to the people who enjoy super mario maker and I bet you it took chunks of people out of the crowd constantly demanding :red: from nintendo.

And SMBX is :red: out of luck because it didn't have the authorization.

I guess in times like that you can make a different game that uses your own property. Haven't we played a game just like that recently?

Reactions: Azu
I heard that SMBX was CD'd, because Red was making money from it (from adverts or something, it could be that website plug-in found in launcher). Normally Nintendo doesn't mind if anyone uses their content. They even officially stated it.

Didn't only the website get shut-down because Redigit hosted a number of Mario fangames on there and was making money off the site? The way I know the story, if the site didn't have any ads, Nintendo wouldn't have taken action.

Then again, I heard that he was almost done with the game anyways and already had plans to move on to Terraria before the call from Nintendo happened. In the end, SMBX getting CD'd didn't matter in the slightest and both communities would exist the same way as they do now, regardless of Nintendo's involvement.

I don't think SMBX got the C&D, period. What happened was that Redigit faked the C&D to cut his ties with SMBX, after multiple failed attempts to do so via other means, before he released Terraria so to get rid of what would be an easy target for lawsuits should someone wanted to shut him down (by the way, it wouldn't have to be directly Nintendo shutting him down). He admitted to it eventually, which gave him enough time to get away from the editor completely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom