Standalone Super Terraria World - MMORPG Style Mod - Server and Client Mod

i have to put the files oìin my terraria steam folder?
You could do it manually if you wish, but I was just checking if you could access the webpage, as the installer seemed to say you couldn't.
Are you running the installer as administrator?
You could also try unblocking it in your firewall and/or turning of antivirus for the duration of the install.

You could do it manually if you wish, but I was just checking if you could access the webpage, as the installer seemed to say you couldn't.
Are you running the installer as administrator?
You could also try unblocking it in your firewall and/or turning of antivirus for the duration of the install.
yes.i tryied using even another net but nothing

What do I do at the top in the shrine after I finish the pyramid. I dont seem to gain anything and the quest is unfinished. Thanks for the answer.

Collect Cloud Charges. Mine clouds for some, kill the nimbus that spawns for lots more. Only thing is you can't have the bottle equipped while you're doing it AND you lose the charges if you exit the game.

Ok, are these addresses blocked by your ISP?
Http://terrariaconnect.com/stw/dl_url.html
Http://terrariaconnect.com/stw/version.html

If you don't mind, what country are you in, and what ISP do you have? - Some countries and ISPs block certain websites, and this could be the problem.
i live in italy.they are not blocked..the first show that https://s3.amazonaws.com/super-terraria-world/SuperTerrariaWorld_v1_12_1a.zip and the second that 1.12.1a.
i have downloaded manually with the link provided previusly and i put the content of the zip in my terraria folder and it work

So I played STW, I did the tutorial island and was going to Sivaiana or what it was called, the moment I touched the boat my game crashed and I got an error, now each time I try to join with that character I get the same error: http://prntscr.com/csojhg (sry, some parts of the error is in swedish)

Is this a good place to post a small critique? Everyone seems to just be using this thread to post bugs and the whatnot, well whatever, I'm posting a small critique here.

I think that the crafting and mining skills need to be removed from the mod entirely.
Now, you may think to yourself that seems a little extreme, removing two skills that are so vital to progression. But that is exactly why they need to be removed.
Because mining and crafting are so important to progression, they present a huge wall of all encompassing boredom and wastfullness that the player has to overcome.
Mindlessly grinding in the mines and crafting several thousand tonnes of useless bullcrap is not not fun. At all. With combat, grinding is acceptable. the player is moving, attacking, etc and constantly remaining active, when the player gets bored of a certain group of mobs they can simply move on to a different area and have a different combat experience due to area design, mob variety, and weapon classes. With alchemy, crafting tonnes of things is acceptable. Because the player is crafting consumable items, needing to craft many potions to level up encourages players to keep a healthy stock, and when the player fully moves on to the next tier, the outdated potion stock can be given/sold to other players who might not want to take part in the alchemy mechanics, thus nothing that the player crafts is entirely useless. With mining, grinding is unacceptable. Sure, mining more ore than is needed to craft one's equipment can net you some extra gold, but there are many more effective and fun ways to fill one's wallet than mindlessly waiting and digging for hours on end. Mining is a completely inactive experience. There is fundamentally no difference between mining copper in the games first mineshaft to mining chlorophyte in the last. With the crafting skill, having to craft tonnes of things is unacceptable. Sure, much like mining and alchemy the things that are crafted and no longer needed can be sold to other players/npcs for profit. Sure, along the way the player is going to craft a lot of usefull stuff that will increase the crafting skill naturally, but what is left after all that is still a huge wall that can only be overcome by collecting tonnes of crafting ingredients, then crafting tonnes of useless garbage that the player does not need. I believe that these two skills create a cycle of bordom and wastfullness that spans the entire length of the game, eating up untold hours of time that the player could be using to actually have fun and progress. Instead of locking essential crafting recipies and ore behind a time wall, they should instead be gated behind things like area design and questlines/quest items. This way, a players progression is judged by how much of the fun part of the game they've completed, and the actual skill they've cultivated, not simply how much time they've invested.

TL;DR: The mining and crafting skills slow down progression to the point where the game is no longer fun.

Is this a good place to post a small critique? Everyone seems to just be using this thread to post bugs and the whatnot, well whatever, I'm posting a small critique here.

I think that the crafting and mining skills need to be removed from the mod entirely.
Now, you may think to yourself that seems a little extreme, removing two skills that are so vital to progression. But that is exactly why they need to be removed.
Because mining and crafting are so important to progression, they present a huge wall of all encompassing boredom and wastfullness that the player has to overcome.
Mindlessly grinding in the mines and crafting several thousand tonnes of useless bullcrap is not not fun. At all. With combat, grinding is acceptable. the player is moving, attacking, etc and constantly remaining active, when the player gets bored of a certain group of mobs they can simply move on to a different area and have a different combat experience due to area design, mob variety, and weapon classes. With alchemy, crafting tonnes of things is acceptable. Because the player is crafting consumable items, needing to craft many potions to level up encourages players to keep a healthy stock, and when the player fully moves on to the next tier, the outdated potion stock can be given/sold to other players who might not want to take part in the alchemy mechanics, thus nothing that the player crafts is entirely useless. With mining, grinding is unacceptable. Sure, mining more ore than is needed to craft one's equipment can net you some extra gold, but there are many more effective and fun ways to fill one's wallet than mindlessly waiting and digging for hours on end. Mining is a completely inactive experience. There is fundamentally no difference between mining copper in the games first mineshaft to mining chlorophyte in the last. With the crafting skill, having to craft tonnes of things is unacceptable. Sure, much like mining and alchemy the things that are crafted and no longer needed can be sold to other players/npcs for profit. Sure, along the way the player is going to craft a lot of usefull stuff that will increase the crafting skill naturally, but what is left after all that is still a huge wall that can only be overcome by collecting tonnes of crafting ingredients, then crafting tonnes of useless garbage that the player does not need. I believe that these two skills create a cycle of bordom and wastfullness that spans the entire length of the game, eating up untold hours of time that the player could be using to actually have fun and progress. Instead of locking essential crafting recipies and ore behind a time wall, they should instead be gated behind things like area design and questlines/quest items. This way, a players progression is judged by how much of the fun part of the game they've completed, and the actual skill they've cultivated, not simply how much time they've invested.

TL;DR: The mining and crafting skills slow down progression to the point where the game is no longer fun.

The problem with this, is the nature of ores in the game that never disappear (which is necessary if you're going to have a game where you gotta craft but yet you can't modify terrain). Without the mining skill, you'd need some other kind of wall to stop the player from having full gold armor within 5 minutes of arriving on the mainland from Tutorial Island, lol.

I will agree that mining feels a little slow, but I cannot say I agree with removing it entirely.

And the crafting XP... if you have crafting XP problems, yourdoingitwrong. I have like Lv27 crafting with hardly even trying, lol.

EDIT: And besides, STW bills itself as "MMO Style Terraria" and grinding crafting levels is found in almost every single MMO on the market, so that fits the bill right and true.

The problem with this, is the nature of ores in the game that never disappear (which is necessary if you're going to have a game where you gotta craft but yet you can't modify terrain). Without the mining skill, you'd need some other kind of wall to stop the player from having full gold armor within 5 minutes of arriving on the mainland from Tutorial Island, lol.

I will agree that mining feels a little slow, but I cannot say I agree with removing it entirely.

And the crafting XP... if you have crafting XP problems, yourdoingitwrong. I have like Lv27 crafting with hardly even trying, lol.

EDIT: And besides, STW bills itself as "MMO Style Terraria" and grinding crafting levels is found in almost every single MMO on the market, so that fits the bill right and true.

What I'm saying in regards to mining is that there's more than one way to gate a player from having overpowered items at the start of the game. carefully contructed area design, enemy placement, or quest progression can gate a player in a much more fun and engaging way. If a player is skilled enough to reach an area/part of a quest that is well beyond their level, shouldn't they be able to obtain its rewards? even if you don't agree, players can still be stoped from sequence breaking by using the above methods of area design or quest completion. Just because every MMO under the sun has grinding doesn't mean that it has to be added unnecessarily (or at all, really).

As for crafting. Is the crafting exp curve really that well balanced out? If so, I guess I'll just tough it out and actually play a little longer.

but in any case, even if the mining and crafting curve are smoothed out so that they never become a problem, wouldn't that simply be as good as not having them be there at all? (though I do suppose that they'd at least have some flavor/aethstetic value)

I guess that's your opinion but I actually like both mining and crafting. I mined when I wanted not when I needed. I quickly got plenty of ore by just doing a few minute sweep of the central mines. Then I crafted a few things and was quickly sitting well in the needed level for my ore. I find them to be needed but not something that you have to sit grinding on since you get to fight bats and worms while mining and crafting gives you the gear to go fight the next quest. It also makes it feel more like Terraria not just the decs using the engine to make their own game. I did every quest with each combat skill over 25 and can mine/craft with the highest tier in game right now (Crimtane or Obsidian I think) along with a fairly high Chemistry and Fishing. Fishing I could level up a lot in 5 mins, Chemistry too if I had the mats. Mining didn't take much longer since you just go grab some ore and craft some arrows or bullets then make some weapons/armor/tools. They are still tweaking stuff but this is their mod and if they want Mining and Crafting then it's going to be in there. Plus, why play Terraria in the first place if you don't like those? That's like buying a cheese pizza but you don't like cheese lol.

What I'm saying in regards to mining is that there's more than one way to gate a player from having overpowered items at the start of the game. carefully contructed area design, enemy placement, or quest progression can gate a player in a much more fun and engaging way. If a player is skilled enough to reach an area/part of a quest that is well beyond their level, shouldn't they be able to obtain its rewards? even if you don't agree, players can still be stoped from sequence breaking by using the above methods of area design or quest completion. Just because every MMO under the sun has grinding doesn't mean that it has to be added unnecessarily (or at all, really).

I think there's a bit of... I dun know, quaint fun in a little grinding? Again I said mining feels a little slow, but if they just adjusted the XP a little I think it'd be fine. A little grinding isn't a bad thing.

As for crafting. Is the crafting exp curve really that well balanced out? If so, I guess I'll just tough it out and actually play a little longer.

If you smelt all that ore into bars, you'll have more than enough levels to make everything you need to make, lol.

but in any case, even if the mining and crafting curve are smoothed out so that they never become a problem, wouldn't that simply be as good as not having them be there at all? (though I do suppose that they'd at least have some flavor/aethstetic value)

You could apply that logic to nearly anything in the game to be honest, and then pretty soon we wouldn't even have a game. I mean, if you don't lose much of anything when you die, why have death?

Since 99% of the time you're in the vanilla game, the only time money is useful is reforges. Why even have money? Why not make reforges take materials? etc etc etc.

Don't be so quick to grab the scissors ready to cut out everything that doesn't look necessary. A little fluff and padding is a good thing.

Like what has been said. They plan to put the other ores in significantly dangerous (and lower, but they diddn't say this part) areas and try to add more restrictions so you have to work to avoid getting op gear right away. The ore grinding isn't even bad because it's...E x a c t l y the same feeling you'd get mining as the vanilla experience.

Like what has been said. They plan to put the other ores in significantly dangerous (and lower, but they diddn't say this part) areas and try to add more restrictions so you have to work to avoid getting op gear right away. The ore grinding isn't even bad because it's...E x a c t l y the same feeling you'd get mining as the vanilla experience.

The main difference I see, is that in Vanilla, you dig through hundreds, perhaps thousands of Dirt/Stone/Clay/Ice/Snow blocks to get to that Gold to make your Gold Armor, but in STW you gotta dig up a bunch of copper and iron first. *shrug*

You either grind by digging countless tunnels in Vanilla, or you grind by digging up ore for XP. I really don't see that much of a difference, other than the occasional time Lady Luck drops a huge gold vein next to your house in a convenient tunnel.

But then again, that same Lady Luck can be Nasty and you can dig for hours and see no Gold/Plat whatsoever.

The main difference I see, is that in Vanilla, you dig through hundreds, perhaps thousands of Dirt/Stone/Clay/Ice/Snow blocks to get to that Gold to make your Gold Armor, but in STW you gotta dig up a bunch of copper and iron first. *shrug*

You either grind by digging countless tunnels in Vanilla, or you grind by digging up ore for XP. I really don't see that much of a difference, other than the occasional time Lady Luck drops a huge gold vein next to your house in a convenient tunnel.

But then again, that same Lady Luck can be Nasty and you can dig for hours and see no Gold/Plat whatsoever.

In the end it really doesn't matter because this mod's a work in progress. No doubt about it when the mod is finished everything will be unrecognizable from how it looks and feels right now. No doubt about it. Mining may become completely optional. And I feel like once the mmo elements are finally implemented. Playing a mediumcore character would actually fit. (kinda like a diablo, path of exile, old runescape experience) And they would probably balance out that out too so you can't lose quest items and one-time-only acquireables.
Think outside the box. It gets better.

Of course. I just had a thought. If this game's getting MMO elements added with massively populated servers and whatnot. Then in the later stages they'll have to change certain areas to be private instances. like where you fight your tutorial boss, and MAYBE the temple of Ra. and they'ed have to make standard enemies be able to spawn even nearby a player (and work around to keep them from spawning inside a town) so there's not like. a massive huge space of no monsters spawning entirely because players are just highly populated there.

In the end it really doesn't matter because this mod's a work in progress. No doubt about it when the mod is finished everything will be unrecognizable from how it looks and feels right now. No doubt about it. Mining may become completely optional. And I feel like once the mmo elements are finally implemented. Playing a mediumcore character would actually fit. (kinda like a diablo, path of exile, old runescape experience) And they would probably balance out that out too so you can't lose quest items and one-time-only acquireables.
Think outside the box. It gets better.

I know that it is like a very early beta or what-not... I think we ought to just keep the mining levels there, what I'd like to see are bonuses for having levels. That would be cool. But that's just me I guess.

I guess that's your opinion but I actually like both mining and crafting. I mined when I wanted not when I needed. I quickly got plenty of ore by just doing a few minute sweep of the central mines. Then I crafted a few things and was quickly sitting well in the needed level for my ore. I find them to be needed but not something that you have to sit grinding on since you get to fight bats and worms while mining and crafting gives you the gear to go fight the next quest. It also makes it feel more like Terraria not just the decs using the engine to make their own game. I did every quest with each combat skill over 25 and can mine/craft with the highest tier in game right now (Crimtane or Obsidian I think) along with a fairly high Chemistry and Fishing. Fishing I could level up a lot in 5 mins, Chemistry too if I had the mats. Mining didn't take much longer since you just go grab some ore and craft some arrows or bullets then make some weapons/armor/tools. They are still tweaking stuff but this is their mod and if they want Mining and Crafting then it's going to be in there. Plus, why play Terraria in the first place if you don't like those? That's like buying a cheese pizza but you don't like cheese lol.

I'm not saying that mining and crafting should not be in the game at all. I'm saying that the skills associated with those things shouldn't. Mining and crafting are an essential part of the soul of terraria and they should absolutly still be in the mod, however the skills attached to them are flawed and need a lot of tweaking or to simply be removed so as to have gating done by another, preferable progression based, process.
[doublepost=1476234409,1476233933][/doublepost]
I think there's a bit of... I dun know, quaint fun in a little grinding? Again I said mining feels a little slow, but if they just adjusted the XP a little I think it'd be fine. A little grinding isn't a bad thing.

If you smelt all that ore into bars, you'll have more than enough levels to make everything you need to make, lol.

You could apply that logic to nearly anything in the game to be honest, and then pretty soon we wouldn't even have a game. I mean, if you don't lose much of anything when you die, why have death?

Since 99% of the time you're in the vanilla game, the only time money is useful is reforges. Why even have money? Why not make reforges take materials? etc etc etc.

Don't be so quick to grab the scissors ready to cut out everything that doesn't look necessary. A little fluff and padding is a good thing.

I dissagree with your "99% percent of the game could be cut if we use that logic" logic. The ammount of gold lost from death can be quite significant, especially if you factor in things like medium core and expert mode. gating things like reforges behind money is fine because there are so many ways to make money (as well as the fact that some items have a chance to have a decent prefix right off the bat). A little padding is fine, sure, but you need to know how much of it you actually need.

I dissagree with your "99% percent of the game could be cut if we use that logic" logic. The ammount of gold lost from death can be quite significant, especially if you factor in things like medium core and expert mode. gating things like reforges behind money is fine because there are so many ways to make money (as well as the fact that some items have a chance to have a decent prefix right off the bat). A little padding is fine, sure, but you need to know how much of it you actually need.

It's very rare you lose any actual gold upon death unless you're really being stupid... everybody I know dumps all their gold in a piggybank, lol.

I think the worst I ever lost was 10g because I had killed a couple mimics before dying.

I'm the kind of person who has a very low tollerence for grinding, and what I've already said obvoiusly stems from that. But that being said, diging trough all that stuff in vanilla terraria doen't really feel like grinding due to the intersperced cave systems, loot chets, etc. Where as in STW you stay in the same hadfull of places forever. Not to mention that in vanilla terraria tools and armor made from pre-hardmode ore are almost entirely worthless compaired to equipment you can get garenteed from bosses, meteorite, hellstone, or the dungeon (exept in medium/hardcore or expert mode, where you need more than wooden armor to get to those).

I'm not saying that mining and crafting should not be in the game at all. I'm saying that the skills associated with those things shouldn't. Mining and crafting are an essential part of the soul of terraria and they should absolutly still be in the mod, however the skills attached to them are flawed and need a lot of tweaking or to simply be removed so as to have gating done by another, preferable progression based, process.
[doublepost=1476234409,1476233933][/doublepost]

To be honest. Did you use any of the safes you found around all the towns? Those act just like piggybanks and you can store important stuff in them.

Back
Top Bottom